Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated to 2.28.60 overnight and today I don't have 3G connectivity. Rebooting x2 didn't help. A neighbor's classic also known updated last night and his car is fine, so it's not a local problem on AT&T's end. Fortunately I'm about to take it in for annual service, if they get a loaner back this afternoon as expected.

7 months later and still holding on to version 6.2.
I'm consistently getting the "Voice command not available" message now even though I have internet connectivity and rebooted both screens.
I guess there's no point in asking TESLA to check it out. I'm sure they'll just ask me to upgrade to version 7.1
If anything more critical fails, I may have to let go of 6.2
Same here. I asked tesla, they told me to reboot the big screen, but that didn't work -- still no voice command even tho map and Internet radio work (though the Internet radio is also inconsistent). I've also been mulling the upgrade to 7.

Same here. I asked tesla, they told me to reboot the big screen, but that didn't work -- still no voice command even tho map and Internet radio work (though the Internet radio is also inconsistent). I've also been mulling the upgrade to 7.
May be a fluke but the 3G connected quicker than I recall seeing it in recent weeks.

I did notice one thing. The Fan on the A/C is blowing slower than before the update. Personally I believe that the fan is blows 1 to 2 points slower than it should for a given temperature. I don't know how much energy the fan uses but it often seems like the comfort would improve if the fan moved air a little faster.

So far, I have not noticed anything else since the update.

Personally I believe that the fan is blows 1 to 2 points slower than it should for a given temperature. I don't know how much energy the fan uses but it often seems like the comfort would improve if the fan moved air a little faster.

I agree. I keep mine on 4-manual unless there is a large temp change, where i put it on auto until the temp stabilizes and i move it to 4 from 1 or 2. I wish I could tell the car to not use less than 4 on my driver profile and then I could keep it on auto.

Reactions: markn455
I agree. I keep mine on 4-manual unless there is a large temp change, where i put it on auto until the temp stabilizes and i move it to 4 from 1 or 2. I wish I could tell the car to not use less than 4 on my driver profile and then I could keep it on auto.
IMHO, I think a car with "Auto" temp in the A/C should be just that. I should be able to set it on a temp and the HVAC should keep the temp where you set it... like my other (ICE) cars I have owned through the years. I recently had 3M Crystalline tint installed which made a big difference in the heat build up in the car. In fact, I could tell the improvement because the fan didn't blow as fast in Automatic. LOL I suppose without the tint, the HVAC had to deal with higher amounts of heat energy which made the fan blow faster at a given temp. Now that the tint is installed the system does not have to work as hard to keep the temp at say 74 when it's 90 outside....less airflow. I guess one has to take the good with the bad. :)

IMHO, I think a car with "Auto" temp in the A/C should be just that. I should be able to set it on a temp and the HVAC should keep the temp where you set it... like my other (ICE) cars I have owned through the years. I recently had 3M Crystalline tint installed which made a big difference in the heat build up in the car. In fact, I could tell the improvement because the fan didn't blow as fast in Automatic. LOL I suppose without the tint, the HVAC had to deal with higher amounts of heat energy which made the fan blow faster at a given temp. Now that the tint is installed the system does not have to work as hard to keep the temp at say 74 when it's 90 outside....less airflow. I guess one has to take the good with the bad. :)
I also have a ceramic tinting on all windows, my windshield, and pano. And it cools quickly, but then the speed lowers to 1-2 and I start sweating from the radiant heat. Meanwhile, my Toyota 4Runner was set to 72 and Full Auto for 98% of my ownership. I would love my Tesla to be full automatic, and it does a good job for the most part (in the current firmware). Just a little tweak would be nice, but I am happy either way.

I just keep it on auto and adjust the temperature.
Caveat: my 2013 has the steering column temperature sensor, so perhaps the newer cars actually do a better job of noticing the heat buildup in the cabin and increasing cooling as needed (though I see yours and mine were made at about the same time). Sadly, it doesn't do it on my car. Thankfully, ever since using a manual 4 for most of my days, I have been able to just leave my temperature set to 68-72. This is much better than back in version 6 of the firmware.

I think I'd rather keep the speedo console in v6 over voice control right now.
Let's hope version 8.x provides an option for a v6 type console configuration.

You get used to it surprisingly quickly once you change. It's not all that horrible. I miss some things, but mostly I just don't think about it.
Yeah. It's annoying, but I've mostly gotten used to not seeing my speed tape on my drive to/from work anymore. Now that it is summer, the glare and my sunglasses fade out the speed tape enough that I can't make it out much of the time. Thankfully, the digital readout is legible. I just hope my 44k+ miles stop staring me in the face in a future update. I like how in AP-cars that is hidden in other screens rather than below the digital speedo.

Anything's possible, but I really wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

You get used to it surprisingly quickly once you change. It's not all that horrible. I miss some things, but mostly I just don't think about it.
I hate to compare to a GM product but I recently drove a new company truck and the ability to select between information screens on the center console is a nice feature ( tire pressure, range, instant fuel economy, etc ) Seems like a simple feature that TESLA could implement and keep everyone happy. Sure hope they do, if not for the Classic S without AP, seems a wasted use of the console space.

On a side note: my bigger issue right now is switching between my Classic S and my wife's MX. I find myself waiting for the S doors to open and close by themselves. I also have the older steering stock configuration ( cruise control arm above the signal arm on the left) and recent set the cruise control when I wanted to signal while driving the X.

So ever since I got 2.28.60 the dome light are acting weird. Specifically, when I am strapping my son into his car seat in the morning, the dome light turn off after maybe 20-30 seconds. The rear driver side door is open and all other doors are closed. The car is still plugged in, and the AC is preconditioning. Anyone else have this happen?

So ever since I got 2.28.60 the dome light are acting weird. Specifically, when I am strapping my son into his car seat in the morning, the dome light turn off after maybe 20-30 seconds. The rear driver side door is open and all other doors are closed. The car is still plugged in, and the AC is preconditioning. Anyone else have this happen?
That seems normal. I believe the driver's door has to be open to keep the light on.

Following up on the above, I finally updated last nite to 7.1, after weeks of limited google maps and no voice command, which is very important to me (a very important ergonomic tool to compensate for some things that are not so ergonomic, and potentially dangerous at 70 mph).
The voice command now works, my google maps work. I stil don't like the new flat display (I forgot the fancy word for it), but can live with that. The toy car is a stupid use of precious real estate, and really, really wish I could swap my green available range bar for the odometer. I can't read the speedometer with sunglasses. Nice to have the lock at the top of the big display, and auto garage door opening. I miss the day of week and temp.
All such easy stuff to fix, if they'd just fix it all, which they refuse to do.
Rooting for 8.0 and better voice commands soon!

Agree, please make the toy car go away in 8.0 and put the temp back on CID. I'd be very happy with those two changes. Alterntively, do neither and just give classics the improved supercharging algorithm and I'll put a lid on it from my end.;)

Reactions: Lump