Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. Can't help but wonder how long until autopilot cars become classic and what the non-autopliot cars will be called then. :)

Classic will likely remain and current cars will be AP1.0 or APv1.

- - - Updated - - -

What did you turn off? Super annoying that they unfold right before I leave my garage.

Given that on AP cars with summoning, regardless of the auto-fold setting, summoning will fold the mirror and hold them closed until you open the door. I thought with if they changed this behavior to allow for the car to maneuver out of a garage easier, then perhaps they changed the code to honor a manual fold in when auto-fold is turn on -- i.e., if I manually fold the mirror, it waits until I manually unfold it rather than doing it automatically when I open the door.

So I turned auto-fold on in my car, tested, found that it still unfolds when I open my door and would hit my garage wall; so I turned auto-fold back off.

The colours in the graphical representation of the car in the dash do not tend to match the centre console car colours. They seem brighter and not as realistic. I think this may be partly why some people are seeing it as a toy car.

There are some useful things in 7.1 and I am very happy to get the update!

With all the complaining about 7.0 Tesla probably decided to cancel the major GUI update though. It's hard to please everyone.

Interesting - I wonder it those with white and red cars are more bothered by the toy car. Mine is dark blue and not very noticeable - I agree it is silly but it doesn't bug me that much.

I got a white loaner a few months ago. The toy car was almost blinding in that.

@Chickenlittle - To be fair the toy car has received much criticism - mostly warranted, IMO. It gets old fast seeing your taillights 100% of the time.

For those who actually SEE the taillights. They blend in to the red version of the toy car enough to be indistinguishable.

How old does Tesla think we are? Only a child would be happy to see a toy car while glancing down for critical information when driving at high speeds, at least give me the choice to remove it...a large bright red toy car is distracting & useless.

They could just put the lighting stuff on the tire pressure page so we could turn it on and off at will. Of course, in the autopilot cars the toy car is an integral part of autopilot feedback. In that case, the car color needs to be dimmed down or changed to uniform gray.

What is most important to me is the contrast issue on the speedometer. ... On 7.0, the ticks around the odometer changed color in a such manner that if you were to wear sunglasses or have a particular glare, most of that portion of the display became unreadable. This would be the easiest of fixes of all the issues described in the other threads, and the least controversial. It is the only real reason I have held up upgrading from 6.2. Honestly, I would love to have the new features in 7.0 and 7.1, and would sacrifice the range indicator/odo placement, etc., if it was not for this contrast issue.

The contrast is reduced from prior-to-v7 versions. This makes the numbers around the dial and other items invisible under many light conditions and hard to read in others. Basically it's a safety item because you have to take your eyes off the road for a prolonged time to read rather than just glancing. Sure, the flat look is fugly, but you can get used to it, I guess. However, the lack of contrast is criminal.

True. They're just throwing away usability for aesthetics. Do they have a quality control person dedicated to usability issues? Do they take cars out on the road and actually try to read displays in real-world conditions?

Haven't got this update yet... have they moved the HI BEAMS ON indicator to a place where we can see it again, and not hidden behind the steering wheel on the left?

Apparently not.

All we need is for them to reassign two decent programmers from the autopilot project to us for one afternoon, and we could probably get this squared away.

True that. Give us two junior engineers who know their way around the code base, and put a car outside in the sun so we can demonstrate what high ambient light does to low-contrast U/I features. I think we can get together, sit in front of a computer screen, and hammer out about 95% of the things we most like to whine about in a very short period. I'm thinking one afternoon will probably not cut it, we'll need to do a couple of builds and check them out in the sun glare.

Then we need to get into a room with the lead U/I architect and ask him to think about putting usability ahead of aesthetics in his user interface decisions.

Do you think Elon might go for that?

Since feedback from paying customers is being ignored I suppose I can ask tesla to change my car to black.

My guess is they'll do it without a fuss. I put aftermarket Rials on my white P85 and asked service in an email to change the image to show grey cyclones. Happened within hours. I say give it a try until they fix the root cause, then have them swap it back. You might as well be happy in the meantime.

Well, the fact that the ugly UI remains aside, I actually am stoked about the new door unlocking. Finally, after 3 years my car's door locking / unlocking works like every other car. I like the fact that I can set it to unlock only the driver's door when I approach or press the fob, with a second press opening the remaining doors. 99.9% of the time I'm by myself and didn't need all 4 doors unlocking and handles extending. This is how I thought it should have worked from day 1, and is how every other car with remote door locks has ever worked. The auto garage door opening works well enough. There seems to be some intelligence to it as well. I was parked in my driveway and was worried that it may try to "close" the door when I drove away (thereby "opening" the already closed door) but it didn't. Sometimes I like to pull in to the garage, but other times I'll park in the driveway if I expect to be going out again that day.

Reactions: wycolo
Two items on 7.1 for Classic S:

(1) Question about the auto-open, auto-close Homelink stuff.

I was excited to see it, long expected it, but once I saw it, I decided I can't use it. Here's my situation: I have a gate at the street, then a driveway, and then garage at the house. The gate and garage door are programmed as separate HomeLink items.

Here's my concern if I turn auto-open/close to ON:
Sometimes we leave the gate open if we have plumbers, landscapers, other service companies coming by that day. If I were to arrive home and find the gate open, wouldn't the car immediately shut the gate as I was approaching it? Possibly leading me to drive into the partially closed gate? Put another way, I assume these very dumb garage and gate systems do not provide a "query" signal to determine current state of gate (say, 0=closed, 1=open) so that the Tesla would do the right thing and not inadvertently close something that's already closed, or try to open something already open, causing the opposite to happen?

(2) Rant about 7.1 in general

It's now 2016, and STILL no improvements to the media player. I still am mind-boggled that Tesla deliberately is avoiding any better integration with iPod or other media players, so that you can interact with PLAYLISTS (know what they are, Tesla?), and lists of ARTISTS, SONGS, GENRES, ALBUMS... you know, like the rest of the automotive world has done for YEARS. I have zero interest in Spotify or Slacker or any such streaming service. I have terabytes of my own music and I want to access it in as easy a way as I have been able to do in the past, let's see, one, two, three, FOUR cars I owned (Porsche, Mercedes, Mercedes, then Audi). How about it, Tesla?

Last edited:
The Supercharger availability is great! I was stuck at a non working Supercharger recently and it caused me a lot of trouble. On the phone Tesla said they knew about it for hours which made it even more frustrating. I'm very happy about this new feature! Hopefully future updates will show and predict how busy a station is.

Navigation seems to be on the back burner for Tesla. They only fix issues and make minor upgrades. I wish they would once put some effort in and catch up to what is common in navigation today. Several waypoints, alternative routes, allow feedback to report closed roads or accidents (like Waze). Also calculates route alternatives based on criteria as fastest, shortest, lowest energy use, ...

Sometimes the priority of features surprises me. Why release "summons' now when there is no way to auto-plugin or unplug the charge cable. Why when it doesn't work on a slope or can't make it over a lip? It seems at this point it's not that useful in real life with these restrictions. Since I have a classic I don't really care, it's just odd to release half working features.

Different programming teams/groups working on different features. They roll out each feature as it becomes ready. Doesn't effect the speed it takes to make the more important feature. Allows Tesla to hire more interns and more full time programmers and let some get their feet wet on low priority features.

How is that productive to anyone? If you're going to be mean, at least admit it.

Anyway-- I agree with brooklynrab in that all the hype about Autopilot is great and all, but if my numbers are right nearly HALF the fleet is still pre-Autopilot (though admittedly becoming a smaller percentage every day).

Tesla would do well to devote some more resources to maximizing our experiences too. The random moving of displayed info doesn't count.

Side question-- I know that Autopilot hardware can't be retrofit, but what about JUST the front center radar, would that be enough to enable traffic-aware cruise control? I'm happy to steer myself but TACC would be an upgrade that seems minimally invasive and more useful than LTE.

We own a classic and autopilot, personally, I have no qualms with it.
I'm quite happy with it, actually prefer the analog clock (as does my wife) and hope they don't spend time changing the UI.

you know, like the rest of the automotive world has done for YEARS. I have zero interest in Spotify or Slacker or any such streaming service. I have terabytes of my own music and I want to access it in as easy a way as I have been able to do in the past, let's see, one, two, three, FOUR cars I owned (Porsche, Mercedes, Mercedes, then Audi). How about it, Tesla?
Everyone has different priorities and that goes for car companies too. Porsche and Mercedes gave the media player priority. Tesla gave internet connectivity (Slacker and Tune-in) priority. Oh, and something more important, they gave making a great EV a priority. Not every company can do everything at once.

All -

Updated yesterday morning before leaving for Boston. I am getting *MAJOR* touchscreen slow-downs & freezes - even after a reboot.

10-15 seconds after touching an address for the drop-down to disappear and then another 15-20 seconds before the touchscreen nav to unfreeze. Another time I put the car in reverse and it took almost 10 seconds for the camera to appear. Lags when entering an address in manually - touching the address box and waiting for the keyboard to show up and typing to appear.

Scarier is the fact that a quick scan of this thread doesn't show anyone else having these problems....

Help!

Aaron

All -

Updated yesterday morning before leaving for Boston. I am getting *MAJOR* touchscreen slow-downs & freezes - even after a reboot.

10-15 seconds after touching an address for the drop-down to disappear and then another 15-20 seconds before the touchscreen nav to unfreeze. Another time I put the car in reverse and it took almost 10 seconds for the camera to appear. Lags when entering an address in manually - touching the address box and waiting for the keyboard to show up and typing to appear.

Scarier is the fact that a quick scan of this thread doesn't show anyone else having these problems....

Help!

Aaron

No problems with mine, although oddly it was hanging in the 'update ready' screen; I had to cancel out of it initially, but after that the screen was slow, and when I returned to the car a while later, the center screen was completely blank. Assume you've tried rebooting it, and/or the cluster screen as well?

One difference I'm noticing right away is if I use my iPhone6 to take photos of the 17" screen, in 7.1, the photos look awful because of the very pronounced vertical scanning bars that move right to left when viewing in the iPhone6's screen. Actual snapshots capture these bars.

I don't remember the bars ever being so pronounced in previous firmware revs. It's as if they modded the video drivers on the 17" screen and they scan differently now...?

Here is an example of what the iPhone6 is now seeing:

71bars.png

One difference I'm noticing right away is if I use my iPhone6 to take photos of the 17" screen, in 7.1, the photos look awful because of the very pronounced vertical scanning bars that move right to left when viewing in the iPhone6's screen. Actual snapshots capture these bars.

I don't remember the bars ever being so pronounced in previous firmware revs. It's as if they modded the video drivers on the 17" screen and they scan differently now...?

Here is an example of what the iPhone6 is now seeing:

View attachment 107378
Try turning off the new auto brightness feature.