Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Red "toy" car doesn't bother me, I hardly see it. When driving I glance for specific answers and rarely see the car. However I'm starting to look for big white glow when I want to know if headlights are on. Could be quicker than scanning top row for headlight icon and having to stop and look to make sure its the headlight icon.

Hmm. I never have to do any scanning and/or verification of the icons. The headlight should be the only active indicator unless you have the high beams on. What am I missing?

Actually, Mobileye offers an adaptive cruise control system as part of its Mobileye suite that can be retrofit to the Tesla -- but only if Tesla provides the software hooks to do it. The BMW I3 uses this Mobileye system for adaptive cruise control. For the 50K classic MS'ers out there, it would be fantastic if Tesla would facilitate such a retrofit, giving us Mobileye functionality incorporated into a Tesla display (instead of that standalone round indicator Mobileye provides) AND adaptive cruise control. Currently, a Mobileye retrofit without the adaptive cruise control costs $1500-2K, which gets you speed limit warnings, auto highbeams, and interrruption of cruise control if you get too close to someone. The additon of adaptive cruise control to this product suite -- requiring Tesla cooperation -- would be fantastic, and I would stop complaining about telsa's disrespecting Classic MS owners. I just want the adaptive cruise control that I can get in a twelve year old Acura.

That's a good question, but unfortunately, I doubt just radar would do the trick. I believe the camera is the heart of the system, and the radar is a very strong backup to it. However, radar cannot sense lanes, which is important to TACC too. And it cannot sense more distant traffic, which is really necessary for high speed approaches to cars waiting at stop lights.

- - - Updated - - -

+1. And how about a "favorites" phone list too, in addition to Recent and Phone Book? An intern could probably do that.
I wish Apple would just buy Tesla already so this easy usability stuff would be paid attention to.
I find it mind-boggling that, after over 3 years the set of voice commands has not been expanded.

Tesla seems to focus most of their software resources on "new" features - such as autopilot.

Since the media and navigation software are still missing some basic features (3.5 years after the Model S was released), it's looking like we'll never get the missing features (playlists, waypoints, route customization, ...).

If Tesla could just allocate a couple of software developers to do maintenance on the original apps - and address the long list of requests and missing functionality, everyone would benefit...

Overall, the Model S is a fantastic car - but the software functionality and quality continue to be a weak point - and could become a problem if/when another manufacturer has a competitive long-range EV.

Hopefully Tesla will try to fix the functionality and quality gap before then...

I'm getting lots of limitation around 45 kW these days (starts out with less regen but settles there for a long time). Eventually the dashed line will disappear from 45 kW, but it will still be another 10 - 15 minutes before full regen will go past 45 kW to 60 kW, even though the dashed line is gone. Was this the behavior in 6.2 and/or 7.0, or is this a bug in 7.1?

I'm getting lots of limitation around 45 kW these days (starts out with less regen but settles there for a long time). Eventually the dashed line will disappear from 45 kW, but it will still be another 10 - 15 minutes before full regen will go past 45 kW to 60 kW, even though the dashed line is gone. Was this the behavior in 6.2 and/or 7.0, or is this a bug in 7.1?

I've noticed the same....I have a feeling it was in 7.0 at least, but the weather hasn't been very cold here yet, so I'm not certain.

I have seen this behaviour for a while. I initially thought there was something wrong with my car. However a dashed regen line doesn't show on the dash past 45kW even though it is still limited. It is more prevalent starting with 7.0 because cold weather regen is more aggressive at higher temperatures. I wish they would leave the dashed line up to 60kW.

Tesla seems to focus most of their software resources on "new" features - such as autopilot.

Since the media and navigation software are still missing some basic features (3.5 years after the Model S was released), it's looking like we'll never get the missing features (playlists, waypoints, route customization, ...).

If Tesla could just allocate a couple of software developers to do maintenance on the original apps - and address the long list of requests and missing functionality, everyone would benefit...

Overall, the Model S is a fantastic car - but the software functionality and quality continue to be a weak point - and could become a problem if/when another manufacturer has a competitive long-range EV.

Hopefully Tesla will try to fix the functionality and quality gap before then...

Could not agree with you more...well said

I've noticed the same....I have a feeling it was in 7.0 at least, but the weather hasn't been very cold here yet, so I'm not certain.

I have seen this behaviour for a while. I initially thought there was something wrong with my car. However a dashed regen line doesn't show on the dash past 45kW even though it is still limited. It is more prevalent starting with 7.0 because cold weather regen is more aggressive at higher temperatures. I wish they would leave the dashed line up to 60kW.

Question for those seeing the 45 kW regen limit: Does the battery heater kick in while the car is driving? Should be fairly obvious from observing the power needle at idle.

Its simply coincidence with lower temperature. Regen gets limited when battery internal temperature gets around 8C (46F). In my experience battery heater kicks in between 0kW and 25kW (approx) regen limit, past 25kW it just uses passive heating from the drivetrain to heat the battery. I mention kW regen limitation, but in reality its temperature (that we can't measure or display). Its probably like between 2C and 8C just limited, not heater, and below 2C (could be 0C) heater kicks in. It definitely kicks in bellow freezing as no regen (charging) is possible under 0C.

See this thread: At what temp does regen limit start?

Its simply coincidence with lower temperature. Regen gets limited when battery internal temperature gets around 8C (46F). In my experience battery heater kicks in between 0kW and 25kW (approx) regen limit, past 25kW it just uses passive heating from the drivetrain to heat the battery. I mention kW regen limitation, but in reality its temperature (that we can't measure or display). Its probably like between 2C and 8C just limited, not heater, and below 2C (could be 0C) heater kicks in. It definitely kicks in bellow freezing as no regen (charging) is possible under 0C.

See this thread: At what temp does regen limit start?

But still, if the battery is cold enough (or for whatever other reason) that regen won't go past about 45 kW, then the limiter line should be there at 45 kW until the car can use that bit of regen. I am anticipating each day when I start to see limited regen, but why LIE to me on the way to work and remove the regen limiting line when it is still limited?!?

I have also noticed a the regen limitation line I had not noticed in the cold before, but I have not updated to 7 (intentionally waiting for a couple of 7 fixes). After two winters with the S, I do believe this must have been a recent prior update's behavior.

This fits with my experience as well.
I am still on FW 6.2, and regen seems more temperature limited this winter than in my previous 2 winters with the car.
Kind of annoying really.

The specific behavior I noted first that I had not seen before was: no regen line while still in the garage (55-60F), but when pulling out in the 35-45F ambient, the regen shows up for the first few miles. Of course this is not the only example of the newish regen limit line, but the one I noticed first. I had never seen this behavior in the last 2.5 years, some of which were as cold or colder.

Forgive me if this has been discussed already, but is anyone having problems getting the new homelink options to close the garage door when you drive away? Mine opens fine on arrival but it hasn't closed the garage door after leaving once since checking both boxes... anybody have any ideas?

Seems buggy. Mine closed the door fine yesterday, but not today. I wish I could select auto close without having to have auto open enabled. Quite a few times I've pulled in to the drive with the intention of parking in the driveway but wasn't quick enough to hit the auto open over-ride. On the other hand, there is rarely a time when I back out of the garage and don't want the door to close after me.

Two bugs and one other change that I've noticed so far with 7.1:

Bug 1: After you cancel a trip in the Nav, the Trip graph isn't cleared until you turn the car off and on (i.e. get out and back in). This was while in park and plugged in - not sure if it might clear the graph in other situations.
This seems like a feature to me. I've often cancelled before I looked at the graph and berated myself for doing so.

The specific behavior I noted first that I had not seen before was: no regen line while still in the garage (55-60F), but when pulling out in the 35-45F ambient, the regen shows up for the first few miles. Of course this is not the only example of the newish regen limit line, but the one I noticed first. I had never seen this behavior in the last 2.5 years, some of which were as cold or colder.

The lines seem to show up only when regen is limited significantly. Maybe they changed when they show up. But I doubt the actual regen limits themselves have changed. I notice that even when the regen limit lines finally disappear (after driving a little) the regen is not fully there. I can still feel it's limited for a while.

Very disappointed in that it doesn't seem like they have fixed the basic UI deficiencies for classic cars.
I was wondering about this. I understand that priorities can change and the pile of other unimplemented-but-promised-features is growing large, but we were specifically told fixes were coming soon, and coming in 7.1. Has anyone heard anything on that? I'm curious if they just gave up and tossed them in the pile with the rest, or if they got delayed to 7.2 or whatever's next.

I'm increasingly reminded of a classic Seinfield episode, but with a slight twist: "You know how to promise the features, you just don't know how to deliver the features. And that's really the most important part, the delivering."

I was wondering about this. I understand that priorities can change and the pile of other unimplemented-but-promised-features is growing large, but we were specifically told fixes were coming soon, and coming in 7.1. Has anyone heard anything on that? I'm curious if they just gave up and tossed them in the pile with the rest, or if they got delayed to 7.2 or whatever's next.

I'm increasingly reminded of a classic Seinfield episode, but with a slight twist: "You know how to promise the features, you just don't know how to deliver the features. And that's really the most important part, the delivering."

Nicley played. +1

I agree - navigation, trip planning, supercharger availability would all benefit everyone. Plus finish the UI changes properly and improve the music (at least use cover art if it's in the file).

Hear, hear!

- - - Updated - - -

I did find one change for the worse ... the media player used to have a quick access icon next to the equalizer icon ... it's now gone. :cursing:

I just noticed that change this morning---completely inexplicable. It is not like they needed the real estate for something else. Too bad, I used that feature frequently.