Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Supercharger availability is great! I was stuck at a non working Supercharger recently and it caused me a lot of trouble. On the phone Tesla said they knew about it for hours which made it even more frustrating. I'm very happy about this new feature! Hopefully future updates will show and predict how busy a station is.

Navigation seems to be on the back burner for Tesla. They only fix issues and make minor upgrades. I wish they would once put some effort in and catch up to what is common in navigation today. Several waypoints, alternative routes, allow feedback to report closed roads or accidents (like Waze). Also calculates route alternatives based on criteria as fastest, shortest, lowest energy use, ...

Sometimes the priority of features surprises me. Why release "summons' now when there is no way to auto-plugin or unplug the charge cable. Why when it doesn't work on a slope or can't make it over a lip? It seems at this point it's not that useful in real life with these restrictions. Since I have a classic I don't really care, it's just odd to release half working features.

Yup. No such luck with getting rid of the odometer on my classic S with 7.1.

13a33d7e961ce52eec8aadde5731ce64.jpg

af10c4ed226f55484d2642c1fcf10ed0.jpg

What the fark...I bet if the previous owner of my car said something about this - it'll probably get changed!...again, retardation, to the max!

- - - Updated - -
That's probably because for classic owners like us... there is not much in this update ...most of it for autopilot cars though..disappointing:mad:

Yes that will be true for years to come. There will be minor changes but nothing earth shattering. I suspect we are not yet there in terms of all the hardware needed for self driving cars. For instance mobile eye new system uses 8 cameras. I do not regret buying my car three years ago and the upgrades have been nice but will lag further away from the newer systems. I did not buy it expecting autonomous driving. That's ok with me, I bought the car for what it was at the time and have enjoyed it. Will replace it when new sensors are placed but would never expect that will be the final system.

Nothing of any value in the update for us, the options added are set to the way I like it anyway and I wouldn't change them to the options offered. The Ui change is disappointing I now have three clocks and only one temperature which is on the drivers screen, so the passengers and rear passengers can no longer see it... Sighhhh I don't know why Elon teases us with his posts.

How old are you? Not being mean but it's hard to tell with your post

"stupid toy car" sound awfully young. And
"I will buy my wife a tesla" sounds old school. Like your wife has no say and can't shop for her own car
How old does Tesla think we are? Only a child would be happy to see a toy car while glancing down for critical information when driving at high speeds, at least give me the choice to remove it...a large bright red toy car is distracting & useless.

How old does Tesla think we are? Only a child would be happy to see a toy car while glancing down for critical information when driving at high speeds, at least give me the choice to remove it...a large bright red toy car is distracting & useless.

Interesting - I wonder it those with white and red cars are more bothered by the toy car. Mine is dark blue and not very noticeable - I agree it is silly but it doesn't bug me that much.

The Supercharger availability is great! I was stuck at a non working Supercharger recently and it caused me a lot of trouble. On the phone Tesla said they knew about it for hours which made it even more frustrating. I'm very happy about this new feature! Hopefully future updates will show and predict how busy a station is.

It is great - if it works as advertised. I hope it doesn't require a manual status change on Tesla's end. It should automatically trigger in the event that a SpC goes offline or loses power.

Crappy graphics, stupid toy car -- Musk and his promises strike again, for classic owners. Wait until 7.2.
I just sent another email to Tesla with my requested 7.0 changes -- its nice to complain/commiserate on this site, but if we also all keep sending our software changes directly to Tesla, maybe the volume of the change requests will resonate, maybe.
All we need is for them to reassign two decent programmers from the autopilot project to us for one afternoon, and we could probably get this squared away. Unfortunately, as a classic owner, I feel like just an afterthought for Elon. I will buy my wife a Tesla when Musk shows that he cares about the people on whose shoulders he built this company, or maybe BMW or Audi will catch up with a product that I like for her.

Toy car being "stupid" for non-auto-pilot cars is mostly accurate. To be fair regarding the included improvements, there were definitely additions included that were ranked high in the 7.1 voting thread we ran a couple months ago. That tells me one of two things, Tesla's vision for software improvements does line-up with what owners actually want (in other words, they are on the right track) OR better yet, Tesla is actually listening to owner feedback, specifically, some of the highest voted requests from right on this very forum.

- - - Updated - - -

Crappy graphics, stupid toy car -- Musk and his promises strike again, for classic owners. Wait until 7.2.
I just sent another email to Tesla with my requested 7.0 changes -- its nice to complain/commiserate on this site, but if we also all keep sending our software changes directly to Tesla, maybe the volume of the change requests will resonate, maybe.
All we need is for them to reassign two decent programmers from the autopilot project to us for one afternoon, and we could probably get this squared away. Unfortunately, as a classic owner, I feel like just an afterthought for Elon. I will buy my wife a Tesla when Musk shows that he cares about the people on whose shoulders he built this company, or maybe BMW or Audi will catch up with a product that I like for her.

Toy car being "stupid" for non-auto-pilot cars is mostly accurate. To be fair regarding the included improvements, there were definitely additions included that were ranked high in the 7.1 voting thread we ran a couple months ago. That tells me one of two things, Tesla's vision for software improvements does line-up with what owners actually want (in other words, they are on the right track) OR better yet, Tesla is actually listening to owner feedback, specifically, some of the highest voted requests from right on this very forum.

We still got the car we paid for, although it would be nice to remove the ticking time bomb of the warranty running out that is the odometer and get me back the % or miles remaining which is much more important for frequent reference. Toy car should go too.

- - - Updated - - -

@Chickenlittle - To be fair the toy car has received much criticism - mostly warranted, IMO. It gets old fast seeing your taillights 100% of the time.

To be fair, it's what all the other drivers on the road see. Tesla is trying to get us to feel a connection with them.

What is the "contrast issue," 4SUPER9?
On 7.0, the ticks around the odometer changed color in a such manner that if you were to wear sunglasses or have a particular glare, most of that portion of the display became unreadable. This would be the easiest of fixes of all the issues described in the other threads, and the least controversial. It is the only real reason I have held up upgrading from 6.2. Honestly, I would love to have the new features in 7.0 and 7.1, and would sacrifice the range indicator/odo placement, etc., if it was not for this contrast issue.

On 7.0, the ticks around the odometer changed color in a such manner that if you were to wear sunglasses or have a particular glare, most of that portion of the display became unreadable. This would be the easiest of fixes of all the issues described in the other threads, and the least controversial. It is the only real reason I have held up upgrading from 6.2. Honestly, I would love to have the new features in 7.0 and 7.1, and would sacrifice the range indicator/odo placement, etc., if it was not for this contrast issue.

I can't say I've noticed this at all.

Interesting - I wonder it those with white and red cars are more bothered by the toy car. Mine is dark blue and not very noticeable - I agree it is silly but it doesn't bug me that much.

Since feedback from paying customers is being ignored I suppose I can ask tesla to change my car to black.

IMG_0729 (1).jpg

Hmm???
Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 2.33.50 PM.png

Last edited:
This update is more worthy of a 7.0.1 designation.

I will give props for the auto open/close on Homelink.

But, come on Tesla! 3 years and my contacts still only have a placeholder for a photo. The media interface is in need of a major overhaul. And the nav is still far from "current" ....

This update is more worthy of a 7.0.1 designation.

I will give props for the auto open/close on Homelink.

But, come on Tesla! 3 years and my contacts still only have a placeholder for a photo. The media interface is in need of a major overhaul. And the nav is still far from "current" ....

I will be happy to have the nav stop telling me to turn around and visit Superchargers I've already visited. Sure, more would be great, but this alone will remove a lot of annoyance from the nav system.

I will be happy to have the nav stop telling me to turn around and visit Superchargers I've already visited. Sure, more would be great, but this alone will remove a lot of annoyance from the nav system.
Right! I recently took my first major road trip with 6.2 and was stunned to find that I was being turned around 10 minutes after every SC stop. You would figure that if a long trip is planned with 2-4 SC stops, it would be expected that we would arrive at each SC with 30-40 RM remaining.