Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may be in the market for a used Model S
At what point ( VIN ) did they add the autopilot hardware ?
Looking at the TESLA CPO website , it's hard to tell which cars have autopilot or at least the hardware.

If it's a 2012 or 2013 it won't have the hardware, If it's a 2014 it might have the hardware, if it is a 2015 or newer it defiantly has the hardware.

http://ev-cpo.com/ is great for finding ones that already have it enabled but if its a 2014 you'll have to call or email to find out for sure if it can be enabled if it isn't marked as AP in http://ev-cpo.com/

Overall, the Model S is a fantastic car - but the software functionality and quality continue to be a weak point - and could become a problem if/when another manufacturer has a competitive long-range EV.

Hopefully Tesla will try to fix the functionality and quality gap before then...

I hear you. But the just have no significant history for enhancing older car sw. Best you can probably hope for is the trickle of features that update the newer cars that may also apply to the older ones. All the focus seems to be on Autopilot and the M3. Things like the browser and opening the API, or forking the non-AP and AP ui significantly probably never going to happen.

Mobileye HAS a workable solution to give us adaptive cruise control (not full autopilot, but better than the "dumb" cruise control we have now): Mobileye Vision Only Adaptive Cruise Control (V.O. ACC) - Mobileye
BMW uses it (good enough for them, good enough for me). All we need is for Tesla to play ball on the interface to enable a big uptick in highway safety for us classic owners. I've seen the hardware -- it is a typical mobileye camera behind the rear view mirror.
a typical mobileye retrofit to a tesla costs 1800-2000, installed. I'd gladly pay that or more for this mobileye feature, and I bet a decent portion of the 50k other classic owners would too, if Elon would play ball.......

Mobileye HAS a workable solution to give us adaptive cruise control (not full autopilot, but better than the "dumb" cruise control we have now): Mobileye Vision Only Adaptive Cruise Control (V.O. ACC) - Mobileye
BMW uses it (good enough for them, good enough for me). All we need is for Tesla to play ball on the interface to enable a big uptick in highway safety for us classic owners. I've seen the hardware -- it is a typical mobileye camera behind the rear view mirror.
a typical mobileye retrofit to a tesla costs 1800-2000, installed. I'd gladly pay that or more for this mobileye feature, and I bet a decent portion of the 50k other classic owners would too, if Elon would play ball.......

Now THIS would be a good topic on which to collaborate on a letter/petition to Tesla. I'd sign. Better yet, we could commit to "reserve" ours for $500 down if they'd commit to delivering it. If there were a way to get out to a broader constituency than just this forum, I suspect there would be at least 5,000 interested "classic" owners. 5,000 * $500 ought to get their attention?!?!

5,000 * $500 ought to get their attention?!?!

Um, no. First, $500, who gets new functionality like this for that low price? Second, $2.5M is the same as Tesla selling 150 cars for $20K margin each. Not work their time to do this, and I don't want any time spent on it that would cause their mission to be delayed for the sake of classic cars like mine. Feel free to disagree, but it is a non-starter.

Um, no. First, $500, who gets new functionality like this for that low price? Second, $2.5M is the same as Tesla selling 150 cars for $20K margin each. Not work their time to do this, and I don't want any time spent on it that would cause their mission to be delayed for the sake of classic cars like mine. Feel free to disagree, but it is a non-starter.
That's right, anyone who wants autopilot or a subset of that can trade in their classic if it's that important to them. But next year there will be new hardware too. It never ends so either be satisfied with what you have or buy a new car. I'll be satisfied with what I have for a long time.

Now THIS would be a good topic on which to collaborate on a letter/petition to Tesla. I'd sign. Better yet, we could commit to "reserve" ours for $500 down if they'd commit to delivering it. If there were a way to get out to a broader constituency than just this forum, I suspect there would be at least 5,000 interested "classic" owners. 5,000 * $500 ought to get their attention?!?!
I have submitted this request/idea to them before, and have talked about it on this forum at various times (usually grumbling about their abandon,ent of us). All I can say is that it can't hurt to keep hitting Tesla's email address with this request, but I think our best shot is to pidgeonhole Elon one day in a shopping mall and make the case to him.

by the way, Smartelectric, if you haven't noticed on this thread, their is real disappointment in tesla by many of us, for broken promises and incomplete initiatives for our benefit, so that autopilot can be further improved. I would suggest that, at the end of the day, autopilot will not be a distinguishing trait for tesla vs its competitors. The differentiators will be a broad and apple like user interface, upgrade path and utility, coupled with an electric car (which I love, but isn't the be all and end all for many). This would argue at making the totality of this car's experience as good as possible, with good nav, extensive voice commands, etc. Autopilot won't do it -- because everyone is doing the same thing, more or less., but we still have the iPad-like user interface and update experience. Think about it

That's right, anyone who wants autopilot or a subset of that can trade in their classic if it's that important to them. But next year there will be new hardware too. It never ends so either be satisfied with what you have or buy a new car. I'll be satisfied with what I have for a long time.

Agree. I love my classic. I'll have AP on my MX and we'll see how much I like it. If it's a big deal, I'll trade up my MS for it. If not, I'll keep what I have. That's our current option. I suspect at some point in the future an enterprising person will try to market a 3rd party retrofit. Nobody will take on this idea until after the first warranties start to expire, though. tomas or brooklynrab, start the business plan now if you see the market!

Agree. I love my classic. I'll have AP on my MX and we'll see how much I like it. If it's a big deal, I'll trade up my MS for it. If not, I'll keep what I have. That's our current option. I suspect at some point in the future an enterprising person will try to market a 3rd party retrofit. Nobody will take on this idea until after the first warranties start to expire, though. tomas or brooklynrab, start the business plan now if you see the market!
Funny you suggest that. I reached out to Mobileye some months ago on their V.O. ACC product, and after a lengthy delay, they got back to me and said it was only offered in conjunction with the car maker. I am not from the automotive business, so I let it die there. but you have an idea. Like Tomas, I feel you'd sell 2500-5000 of them - 5-10% of the addressable audience.

1) I never suggested it would only cost $500. Only that interested parties would be convincing if they were to put a deposit on it.

2) Mobileye does most of this. They offer a box that interacts with braking and acceleration systems and sends the signals. Tesla's job here would be quite minimal. In fact, if I recall right, it used to work aftermarket on the S but ceased after a series of software updates.

3) this is nowhere near the roadster 3.0 distraction. Tiny effort, much larger market.

4) it is ridiculous to say "you can just trade up". I do not want auto pilot, and certainly do not want to take my depreciation hit to get it. Would love just TACC via aftermarket mobileye, and all tesla has to do is enable the interface.

The current Tesla TACC also uses Radar and an electrically-controlled
mechanical brake system, right?
If so, more stuff to retrofit.
Mobileye provides aftermarket camera that can do it with no radar. I do not believe AP cars have different braking, but if somebody knows for sure, sound off. Regardless, i still suspect mobileye could command brakes.

I have echoed your above words many times and sent my suggestions to [email protected]. When Tesla collaborated with MobileEye to create Autopilot, it would have been relatively easy at that point for Tesla to put "hooks" into its software to allow MobilEye's aftermarket product to seamlessly interface with Tesla's UI. But Tesla obviously put forth no effort on this front. I think the reason is obvious - there is no real commitment to bring these features to older vehicles. Tesla appears to be solely focused on features that will write media headlines, little else.

Actual conversation that happened in my car:

Wife (in passenger seat) glances over to the main screen: Uh, where's the temperature?

Me: They removed it. But hey, now you can tell that the car is locked...

Wife: :mad:

Me: :cursing:

(... and the battery icon is a flash so you can't tell level of charge, and you can't see how fast the fan is blowing or if it's heating or cooloing, and toy car instead of range, and and and...)

Sorry, haven't read the entire thread. Needed to vent. Now I feel better.

Anyone else seeing lots of weird little bugs with 2.9.154? I sat in my car for about 45 minutes doing some work on Saturday, and noticed the door handles retracting and extending at least a half dozen times for no apparent reason. After the car turned off (think it was idle 15 mins or so when screens turned off) I touched the screen to turn everything back on, and the passenger front window dropped a half inch like the door was opening and then went back up -- weird. And today my turn signal sound effect disappeared (turn signals still worked, just no sound). Had to reboot center screen to fix that.

Has no one else been bothered by the fact that with the new software update, they removed the audio input selector button and instead just have the audio settings button? I like to be able to easily switch between FM, Slacker, and my phone audio. Did they relocated it somewhere else?

Has no one else been bothered by the fact that with the new software update, they removed the audio input selector button and instead just have the audio settings button? I like to be able to easily switch between FM, Slacker, and my phone audio. Did they relocated it somewhere else?

It's been mentioned a few times upthread. You can remap your steering wheel scroll wheel to input selection, if desired. That's what I've done.