Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know of a way to tell if an older MS has Nav? I remember in the older software you could look under the red arrow and see "Nav" or "Maps". It seems the new software removed the text.

I guess my question is -- are you looking for visual exterior-only cues (like in photos only)?

If you have access to the car, can't you just pop in and just see if it has Nav (try routing to a location)?

What does the old dash look like? As a classic owner, I'm actually happy to have the speedo and not just a picture of lanes of traffic like the AP cars have.

And what odometer are some folks talking about? The one at the bottom of the speedometer? What was there before? It needs to be there somewhere, doesn't it? That's where inspectors always look when doing things like ID/OD readings.

And what odometer are some folks talking about? The one at the bottom of the speedometer? What was there before? It needs to be there somewhere, doesn't it? That's where inspectors always look when doing things like ID/OD readings.
On the newer models (including the X), there is no odometer on the IC. You have to get to it by hitting the Tesla icon on the 17". It's definitely a mental adjustment.

What does the old dash look like? As a classic owner, I'm actually happy to have the speedo and not just a picture of lanes of traffic like the AP cars have.
There are pictures up-thread. The big differences are that you can actually see the numbers around the speedometer in almost every lighting condition. The new dash can't be read in bright light, and the trip odometers are now hidden. Also the day of the week was shown as well as the time and date. The new dash is a big disappointment and has safety issues.

There are pictures up-thread. The big differences are that you can actually see the numbers around the speedometer in almost every lighting condition. The new dash can't be read in bright light, and the trip odometers are now hidden. Also the day of the week was shown as well as the time and date. The new dash is a big disappointment and has safety issues.
Alright, I just went through all 24 pages of this thread. Maybe I missed it, but I don't see a single screenshot of a 6.2 or prior dash display. I'd like to see it as a comparison point, as I have no idea what it looks like.

Not a big deal though. I just Googled it and found a few examples. Funny thing is though, they don't all look alike, so maybe there were various other tweaks over different versions.

So for 6.2 and prior, as to what seems consistent, it looks like you have...
1) A row across the bottom that has, in order from left to right, lock indicator, odometer (total mileage), temperature, date, and time.
2) The middle of the speedometer shows, from top to bottom, speed (digital), battery bar, range remaining.
3) The bit of space at the bottom of the speedometer shows PRND indicator.

On some screenshots the numbers on the speedometer dial appear brighter, and on others darker. Maybe it's a day/night mode difference?

On some screenshots, the info in the center of the speedometer appears inset, and on others it appears flat.

I'm not seeing trip info on any of the displays, unless this is referring to the switchable side apps? You can add a trip meter on a side display, but it only shows current trip and since last charge. You have to go to the center console display to see A and B trip meters. Were A and B shown on the side app in the past?

Comparing to the current instrument cluster, the only information that 6.2 had that the current doesn't show looks to be date, and maybe the lock indicator. (based on some screen shots, temp and time may have briefly been missing but they are there on the latest version)

So issues are -- some toy cars might be too bright, numbers on dial might be too dim, date is no longer shown, possibly the lock indicator is no longer shown, and stuff has just been moved around a little. Yes? If there is a trip difference, I'm not seeing it.

Last edited: