Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just like the little square image tiles on Google maps, the Autopilot also has tiles that are fetched from a server. Each tile covers a certain fixed geographic area, and they contain information that the AutoPilot uses for assisting it's decision making. Just like the map tiles, a certain amount of them are cached on the CID's SSD so the ones around your daily routes don't need to be downloaded over and over.

Do we know how much priority the data from the tiles has over data from the camera, such as detected lane markings? Hopefully the tile data is not used unless the camera isn't detecting anything directly.

Besides autopilot being worse and not seeing other lanes to allow me to change into them 2.28.19 has also seemed to have broken my daytime running lights. They only seem to turn on now when I manually select the parking lights. Its too bad we can't request updates. Stopping by the service center 3 hrs away isn't really an option.

...Its too bad we can't request updates. Stopping by the service center 3 hrs away isn't really an option.
You still can. A number of people here have had success by just calling their Service Center, and a SC Advisor can then have an update scheduled to be sent over-the-air to your MS -- it may take 24 hrs or so for them to make it happen. There is also the Tesla #800 that any owner can call 7x24 for technical support (IDK why so many owners seem to forget about that more immediate option and sometimes post here when a response can take even longer), but personally, I'd try your SC for likely the most direct way to accomplish what you're after. It's a phone call away. Good luck.

release_note.jpg

Sat for 20 minutes at a nearby SvC to get 2.28.75.

2.28.75 has release notes. Well, one release note - and it says, drumroll please...

"This release contains minor fixes and improvements."

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

A profound thank you to whomever 'twas who took the time to do that.

Results and best practices prevail once again over the dark and evil minions of FUD - just another reason why Tesla will continue to lead the entire automotive industry. Next up, energy, space, and the saving of civilization itself from... well, from itself, really.

Yes, going to ev-fw.com now...

Last edited:
I think part of the issue is that the way the release notes are presented it doesn't take into account the version delta from the version you came from. It only has the release notes that are saved in the bundle for the version you're running. They'll need to make it a little smarter to be able to actually show changes across multiple versions.
Easy fix, don't show just the release notes for this one version, show the full history. Tons of software does it this way, and is no more work then what they do now. Add the new release notes to the top of the file, don't remove the old ones. Done.

Just another data point regarding the service center proximity for software updates. Was traveling yesterday and stopped at the Decatur, GA supercharger, which is next to the store/service center. Connected to wifi automatically the software update notification popped up a short time later, while still supercharging.

gi1VrrUh.jpg

Reactions: bobjustbob
Just another data point regarding the service center proximity for software updates. Was traveling yesterday and stopped at the Decatur, GA supercharger, which is next to the store/service center. Connected to wifi automatically the software update notification popped up a short time later, while still supercharging.

The same thing happens nearly every time I visit the Decatur supercharger too.

I have gotten updates 3 times now after stopping in West Palm SC (SC and Store co-located), I expect its not coincidental.
Now since 2.28.75 I have noticed that when I top a bridge near my home that has a rather pronounced crown, the "Hold Steering Wheel" prompt no longer goes off. Prior to it, it was 100% of the time, now 4 times and zero occurances. Maybe.....?:rolleyes:

I'm going off the 'does it-or doesn't it' board for $100 Jack.......

Anyone experiencing hyper-sensitive side & front sensors of late? Since CA motorcycle drivers are allowed to stripe-ride, there is lots of lane splitting action especially during commuter hours. But lately my dash looks like a disco with the side and corner lights flashing yellow, orange and red along with heart stopping warning sounds as they weave by. Jacked up sensors or maybe its just the display accuracy has been improved? Damn I worry about those motorcyclists so I've suspended using my AP during the heavy commute hours because of them and all the dash commotion. Today was so peaceful.

Anyone experiencing hyper-sensitive side & front sensors of late? Since CA motorcycle drivers are allowed to stripe-ride, there is lots of lane splitting action especially during commuter hours. But lately my dash looks like a disco with the side and corner lights flashing yellow, orange and red along with heart stopping warning sounds as they weave by. Jacked up sensors or maybe its just the display accuracy has been improved? Damn I worry about those motorcyclists so I've suspended using my AP during the heavy commute hours because of them and all the dash commotion. Today was so peaceful.
I noted what I considered an increased sensitivity back with 2.17.37 on April 28 (post #2381 in this all-too-long thread ;)). I've not noticed any further increase in that sensitivity up through my present 2.28.19, but still believe it's more than I had before that April update. (...and while the cyclists will likely jump on me/us, I agree with you it startles me every time one passes me when I have another vehicle riding alongside in close proximity -- especially when the cycle comes out of nowhere at much more rapid speed.)

• Informative
Reactions: NikeWings and msnow

Yes, I mentioned when 2.28.19 first came out that I felt they had tweaked the front and side sensors (not AP but the sensors themselves) because a) the car seemed to have a hard time finding the center of the lane and b) the increased flashing sensor displays. After driving it for a couple of days the car settled down on the lane bouncing but I still see the sensitive colorful light display. It doesn't bother me at all and I have no evidence other than you and one other person who also mentioned it.

Edit: I guess the other person was @BertL

• Helpful
Reactions: NikeWings
I noted what I considered an increased sensitivity back with 2.17.37 on April 28 (post #2381 in this all-too-long thread ;)). I've not noticed any further increase in that sensitivity up through my present 2.28.19, but still believe it's more than I had before that April update. (...and while the cyclists will likely jump on me/us, I agree with you it startles me every time one passes me when I have another vehicle riding alongside in close proximity -- especially when the cycle comes out of nowhere at much more rapid speed.)

I too am still on 2.28.19 and I get concerned the car will jerk away while on AP. Then like you, I need to worry the guy on the right is in his lane and not mine. Thus I've gone back to my own control and am far less worried about over correction. Lane splitting has got to be a great challenge for Tesla. higher speed + smaller scale + unpredictable movement

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: msnow
Yes, I mentioned when 2.28.19 first came out that I felt they had tweaked the front and side sensors (not AP but the sensors themselves) because a) the car seemed to have a hard time finding the center of the lane and b) the increased flashing sensor displays. After driving it for a couple of days the car settled down on the lane bouncing but I still see the sensitive colorful light display. It doesn't bother me at all and I have no evidence other than you and one other person who also mentioned it.

Edit: I guess the other person was @BertL

I guess I am so concerned about one of these cyclists going down that I find that the lights and sound magnify the daily danger and I am the one jacked up! It bothered me less without being reminded of the frequency and degree of proximity.....in other words, ignorance is bliss.

The other day I experimented using AP (2.28.19) on an interstate in a very heavy rain, both hands solidly on the wheel. AP started to weave from side to side within the lane in a serpentine fashion. I disengaged AP because I didn't want to scare other nearby drivers in these poor conditions. The last time I tried in a similar downpour was way back in version 7.0, and the car tracked perfectly straight. Thus I can't peg this behavior on 2.28.19 specifically.

• Informative
Reactions: BertL
I too am still on 2.28.19 and I get concerned the car will jerk away while on AP. Then like you, I need to worry the guy on the right is in his lane and not mine. Thus I've gone back to my own control and am far less worried about over correction. Lane splitting has got to be a great challenge for Tesla. higher speed + smaller scale + unpredictable movement
Yeah, people here debate to what degree AP changes and/or AP Tiles make the difference some of us perceive with our MS searching from side-to-side more than perhaps AP once did. That is at least the case for me much of the time... e.g. on a 4-lane 45mph road (with clearly marked double center line and bicycle lane line on the right) I frequent around my home, since about the time 2.28.19 came out, my MS sways just enough side-to-side when on AP especially on its somewhat curvy road that it makes me feel like my MS is drunk -- and it probably looks that way to anyone observing me; On a 55mph 4-lane surface street which has a concrete divider down the middle with occasional plants but low pavers on much of it's width, my MS also tends to pull left much closer to that hard divider than I would ever be driving on my own. Both situations make me very uneasy, and it's why I don't use AP on those roads as much as I used to even though I drive them several times each week. I do "try it out" again after each new firmware update, just in case there is an improvement, but have not found any from my POV in a while.

I was a bit astonished with the graphic one of Tesla's Execs released after the accident a few weeks ago showing how much more accurate AP is keeping to the center of the lane than real drivers are -- that may be my experience on the wide open road that perhaps has more miles traveled by the aggregate fleet, but it isn't with the surface examples I cited, or when I have big rigs to my immediate left or right on the freeway, when it seems like my MS tracks too close to it than I want to be (let alone if a motorcycle were to come between as has happened at least once -- freaking me out.) It's all perception how AP is working for each of us, but that's mine FWIW which just reinforces AP is Beta Software and will likely always be so on my AP V1 MS.

Fortunately for us, Tesla and it's designers are here in CA where the split lane law is in effect, so we can hope it remains a front-and-center consideration even though it's not something that is legal everywhere AP is.

• Informative
Reactions: NikeWings and msnow