Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. I've always made sure that I was able to connect to the service center's wifi. Each time I've done that, knowing that there was an update, I got the update. One time I was not able to connect and did not receive it. Not a lot of sample points to say connection is required.
I know for a fact you do not need WiFi. I also confirmed you do not need to "wait". If you are getting one, you'll get it at some point once you cross the geofence. I'll make a rough guess and say that it only seems to work about 20% of the time on a car though.

Reactions: wolfson292
(Finally) had success today causing an update from 2.28.19 to 2.34.100 which just completed installation.

Made another long trip to the San Diego SvC this morning, specifically trying another combination from those documented earlier. Unlike previous trips slowly driving through the San Diego Svc or UTC Store (actually the whole UTC Mall and street between the east/west sections) geofenced areas that didn't previously trigger updates on two separate days, this morning I purposely pulled-in to a charging stall at the SvC, stomped on the brake placing my MS on Hold, then waited a full 5-minutes before pulling around the lot through the rest of the geofenced area and left. Tesla WiFi never connected while I was there, and remained on LTE. I had the update notification 30-40 mins later.​

All that to say, it took me a lot longer to get an update than many others including almost identical MS built about the same time; I'm not on a naughty list; and there seems to remain a lot of mystery on the specifics that will and won't trigger updates in geofenced Tesla locations. Tesla still holds the keys to the kingdom despite so many enthusiast's attempts at understanding the mysteries. ;)

Reactions: msnow
Went to the SC and SvC in WPB last night and charged for a little bit and got the update to 2.34.100 after about 20 minutes of charging; the car was connected to the Tesla WiFi. I installed it right away, because I was curious if it would fix the weird energy spikes to up to 900 (!) kWh consumptions I had (posted that earlier with screenshot), and it did!
After I drove home (about 19 miles) you could definitely see where the update happened in the energy app on the touchscreen. First ten miles (old software) I still had weird spikes to up to 600 kWh consumption even though I almost hypermiled, the last 20 miles showed up as almost flatlined after the update.
Everything is good again :)

Any chance we could talk more about the firmware changes and experiences rather than all these posts about how you did/did not get the update from driving through the geofence and which one you visited? We have firmly established the geofencing exists and we have established (long ago) that different cars get eligible for updates at different times. At this point, posts like that are noise and make it harder to see the posts about changes we are seeing in the updates. Thanks in advance!

Any chance we could talk more about the firmware changes and experiences rather than all these posts about how you did/did not get the update from driving through the geofence and which one you visited? We have firmly established the geofencing exists and we have established (long ago) that different cars get eligible for updates at different times. At this point, posts like that are noise and make it harder to see the posts about changes we are seeing in the updates. Thanks in advance!
Disagree. There are a lot of reports where they "didn't" get any update (I'm still on .19, since mid-July, and have a 70D, the same model and options that others reported getting updated). I've tried three times driving to the SvC, rolling slowly through the parking lot and nothing. Down the block at the Sales and Delivery Center in Costa Mesa, I spend an hour at the Sunday Social last week, parked against the building. Nada.

So I think that there is indeed merit in trying to decode this whole "geofencing" thing. I agree it's more than placebo, but it's certainly far less than 100% effective, even on repeated attempts.

Disagree. There are a lot of reports where they "didn't" get any update (I'm still on .19, since mid-July, and have a 70D, the same model and options that others reported getting updated). I've tried three times driving to the SvC, rolling slowly through the parking lot and nothing. Down the block at the Sales and Delivery Center in Costa Mesa, I spend an hour at the Sunday Social last week, parked against the building. Nada.

So I think that there is indeed merit in trying to decode this whole "geofencing" thing. I agree it's more than placebo, but it's certainly far less than 100% effective, even on repeated attempts.
Try stopping at, not rolling through,the SvC for 5 minutes and see if you get it.
Sorry @Cyclone, I agree with you just wanted to help rx out.

Try stopping at, not rolling through,the SvC for 5 minutes and see if you get it.
Sorry @Cyclone, I agree with you just wanted to help rx out.

As Ingineer has said, you only need to be in the geofence a few seconds for it to "register". This is definitely how it works and there is nothing more to the geofence. You don't need to connect to WiFi. You don't need to park and wait X minutes. You don't need to drive around inside the geofence for X minutes.

Triggering the geofence doesn't guarantee you an update though. As Ingineer has said, age certainly seems to be one restriction. There are likely several parameters, only one of which is triggering the geofence, that determine if an update is offered when the car checks in.

All that's happening when you try triggering the geofence different ways and it eventually works, is one of the other variables finallly allows the update to be sent down. It's absolutely not because you triggered the geofence some special way.

We could have a separate thread to talk about geofencing....

I picked up 34.100 overnight, after a quick stop at a SC on my way elsewhere. So far I agree that AP feels more stable than 28.19. Does anyone else think that standard audio also picked up some changes? I haven't tried to analyze it but the sound seems a little fuller. Or it could be placebo effect.

As Ingineer has said, you only need to be in the geofence a few seconds for it to "register". This is definitely how it works and there is nothing more to the geofence. You don't need to connect to WiFi. You don't need to park and wait X minutes. You don't need to drive around inside the geofence for X minutes.

Triggering the geofence doesn't guarantee you an update though. As Ingineer has said, age certainly seems to be one restriction. There are likely several parameters, only one of which is triggering the geofence, that determine if an update is offered when the car checks in.

All that's happening when you try triggering the geofence different ways and it eventually works, is one of the other variables finallly allows the update to be sent down. It's absolutely not because you triggered the geofence some special way.
Well, I just drove over the Costa Mesa SvC, parked in the lot near the employee entrance and:
1. Waited 5 minutes in "Park"
2. Rebooted using the brake plus long scroll wheel push
3. Powered down from the center screen, twice

Nothing happened then. But, as I was about to type this failed, what do I see on my app? "Software Update Available!!"

So I think it's more than just driving through, at least it was in my case of multiple tries.

Or, just coincidence and I was going to get it in the middle of a Sunday afternoon. Nah.

Well, I just drove over the Costa Mesa SvC, parked in the lot near the employee entrance and:

Nothing happened then. But, as I was about to type this failed, what do I see on my app? "Software Update Available!!"

So I think it's more than just driving through, at least it was in my case of multiple tries.

Or, just coincidence and I was going to get it in the middle of a Sunday afternoon. Nah.

It takes maybe 20 minutes from when a firmware update starts downloading till when you get the notice in screen. Rebooting probably just interrupted the download and made it take longer.

The reason I suggested this to you and @BertL was because I tried it both ways 4 times; driving through and stopping for a few minutes. Stopping worked every time for me rolling through never did. Sometimes I didn't see the "software update available" message until about 45 minutes later at home.
@wolfson292 - it could be a coincidence or it could be a combination of needing it, aging and being in the same coordinates for x amount of time. We now have at least a few examples of people who were due an update, tried multiple times by rolling through and failed but were successful by stopping for a few minutes. Maybe there's something to it.

Sorry to keep talking about the geofencing. But for the first time today I took my moms 90d on 28.19 and mine on 32.100 today to the svc. Drove around the lot then left. We both got the 34.100 update about 30 min after leaving the svc.

So yeah.

I've said this now so many times I've lost count:

1. When you enter the geofence your car knows this because of it's internal database of locations. It immediately sends an alert to the mothership AS SOON AS YOU ENTER.
2. The mothership will then decide using it's secret formula to decide whether you are due for an update (I estimate only 20% of the time you are), and if so, it will begin packaging the update patch on it's side.
3. Once the update patch is ready, it will be pushed to your car over cell or WiFi. If you are on WiFi, it will download faster, but it's typically only about 100 megs or less, so not really slow.
4. Once downloaded, the patch will be extracted and it's contents verified. This takes a long time and uses up a lot of CPU power on the CID. DO NOT REBOOT! Rebooting only makes it start over from the beginning. If you reboot while the update is being prepared, you may actually miss the push and you will NOT get it!
5. Once the update has been verified, only then do you get the notification (alarm clock). Tesla calls this "Staging" so you are now "staged" and can then "Deploy" the update at your leisure. Once staged, there is nothing more that needs connectivity.