Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So just confirmed that in the release 8.0, even if there is a passenger sitting in the front right seat, the screen still turns off when the drives leaves, just as in the Beta. You can tap the screen as before and it will stay on for 30 mins now. That's all they added.

So just confirmed that in the release 8.0, even if there is a passenger sitting in the front right seat, the screen still turns off when the drives leaves, just as in the Beta. You can tap the screen as before and it will stay on for 30 mins now. That's all they added.

I wouldn't have even bothered putting that as a bullet point in the release notes/blog post in that case, assuming that said engineer isn't getting paid by the character for his/her release note!

If you're driving on a straight, smooth road what occasion does the car have to apply torque to the wheel to notice your mass?
It's constantly making ultra-small adjustments that you don't notice, but the sensitive torque encoder can sense them. Trust me, that's how it works. You can literally tape something with a little mass to the wheel and it will think you are touching it. (don't do this!) This is also why it takes a few seconds sometimes to detect the mass.

I trust you -- my question wasn't rhetorical. Thanks for the explanation. Do you know whether there's any interaction between this
sensing mechanism and the steering mode (i.e., Sport, Standard, etc.)?
Roger, I have standard mode...S90D like you. My right arm dangles off the wheel and rests on my knee, with a few fingers holding at 3 o'clock. Its just enough pressure on the wheel without disrupting AP or steering in any way. I shift to the opposite arm/knee randomly for a change up. I am on AP 75% of my miles, and hardly ever receive nags unless AP looses the road and hands it back to me. Last week I had a 'P' loaner and drove in sport; noticed no difference in adapting my habits.

Roger, I have standard mode...S90D like you. My right arm dangles off the wheel and rests on my knee, with a few fingers holding at 3 o'clock. Its just enough pressure on the wheel without disrupting AP or steering in any way. I shift to the opposite arm/knee randomly for a change up. I am on AP 75% of my miles, and hardly ever receive nags unless AP looses the road and hands it back to me. Last week I had a 'P' loaner and drove in sport; noticed no difference in adapting my habits.
I hold the wheel exactly like NW does and have no nags.

It's constantly making ultra-small adjustments that you don't notice, but the sensitive torque encoder can sense them. Trust me, that's how it works. You can literally tape something with a little mass to the wheel and it will think you are touching it. (don't do this!) This is also why it takes a few seconds sometimes to detect the mass.

IMHO the torque needed is still quite a lot, especially if your driving style is to apply as little torque to the wheel as possible (which is the right way to drive anyway, no matter what the condition). I have to tug on the wheel harder than I would like to defeat the hold warning.

Reactions: davidc18
IMHO the torque needed is still quite a lot, especially if your driving style is to apply as little torque to the wheel as possible (which is the right way to drive anyway, no matter what the condition). I have to tug on the wheel harder than I would like to defeat the hold warning.
I don't. Not sure why but I have a one handed light touch and get zero nags.

Reactions: NikeWings
I don't. Not sure why but I have a one handed light touch and get zero nags.
Might there be a different amount of torque required when responding to or correcting a nag, versus consistent prevention of a nag? Or in an unconscious but reflexive effort to correct, the force to overcome the lag effect referenced by Ingineer is more than really necessary?

Interesting to observe such differences which I chalk up (rightly or wrongly) to our driving styles vs inconsistent application of firmware. Always interested in learning the actual reasons though. Avoiding nags is effortless and I'm barely grasping the wheel. Just slight downward pull only.

Last edited: