Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't matter what the boost setting is on the steering. It's not about the torque you apply to the wheel but the mass it senses. The mass of your hand/arm is enough EXCEPT if you are gripping the wheel so lightly that the connection is "soft" enough that the effective mass is reduced.

If it's having trouble sensing you, then make your hand's connection to the wheel a little more solid and it will. Also, 2 hands is better than one (twice the mass).

It doesn't matter what the boost setting is on the steering. It's not about the torque you apply to the wheel but the mass it senses. The mass of your hand/arm is enough EXCEPT if you are gripping the wheel so lightly that the connection is "soft" enough that the effective mass is reduced.

If it's having trouble sensing you, then make your hand's connection to the wheel a little more solid and it will. Also, 2 hands is better than one (twice the mass).
This is where I'm confused. I assumed you meant mass as defined in physics:
mass definition. "In physics, the property of matter that measures its resistance to acceleration. Roughly, the mass of an object is a measure of the number of atoms in it. The basic unit of measurement for mass is the kilogram. (See Newton's laws of motion; compare weight.)"
So are you talking about the surface size mass in contact with the steering wheel per your comment regarding two hands=twice the mass or resistance as in torque resistance or something else?

mass definition. "In physics, the property of matter that measures its resistance to acceleration. Roughly, the mass of an object is a measure of the number of atoms in it. The basic unit of measurement for mass is the kilogram. (See Newton's laws of motion; compare weight.)"
So are you talking about the surface size mass in contact with the steering wheel per your comment regarding two hands=twice the mass or resistance as in torque resistance or something else?
I'm pretty sure he's saying mass, as in it takes more torque for the steering wheel to turn itself with your hands on it. Because the wheel is constantly moving tiny amounts, it can detect you that way.

As opposed to how many of us have previously thought if it, that we need to directly apply torque to the wheel in order for it to detect us.

• Helpful
Reactions: msnow
I'm definitely saying mass, however a given mass connected to the acceleration force by a rubber band (your fingers) is going to appear to the steering systems load cell like way less mass.

Just came here to appreciate 7.1.

Honestly 8.0 sounds like a nightmare.

I disagree. There's some good things (AP, some of the UI changes) and bad things (some of the UI changes), but to me it's an overall improvement.

Bruce.

[edit: Sorry, I just realized by replying to this post I'm contributing towards dragging the 7.1 thread off-topic. We should debate 8.0 merits in a more appropriate place.]

I'd go back to 7.1 in a heartbeat but I don't have AP so I am having a different view on this than most of the other posters. Few of the UI changes are an improvement, most made it worse. I hate having to double tap just to get to a specific app or to the zoom buttons on the map. I like that there is less lag.

Also, since the update I'm having issues when the car is taking over a call upon entering the vehicle. Used to work perfectly now it disconnects the active call.

Interesting. I may be the last guy to get pushed a build of 7.1. I just got 2.36.31 and recorded it in the tracker.
Before getting 2.36.31 I was on 2.28.19 installed way back in July. I live in a hilly area and this morning I was driving down the undulating country road I live on in good weather with no other cars in sight. As I drove over a crest of the road toward a trough at the usual 50 - 55 mph the collision warning beep went off, turning off the stereo and leaving it off. Apparently, 2.36.31 interpreted the radar echo of the road rising steeply on other side of the trough as an obstacle I was in danger of hitting. Sensitivity was medium both before and after the update.

I may be overstating it, but it seems that as time goes on the heavy hand of regulation (or potential regulation) is driving Tesla to crank up supposed safety at the expense of usability.

Reactions: davidc18
Hi all,

I'm still on firmware 7.1 (2.28.19). But I have a 2013 Model S, so no TACC or anything. Actually, I never got any update OTA, only got them when brining the car for service. Anyone in my situation? I'm happy with 7.1 but still...

I've stayed at 7.1 solely because I want my recirculated air. Until they change that "feature"/bug, I'm not planning to update unless I'm forced to because of a repair.

Reactions: apacheguy
Can you explain? I am on 8.0 and can select recirculation. Sorry if I am missing something obvious.

Try selecting fan speed 3, recirculate turns to fresh air. Then hit recirculate and fan speed increases to 4. But even with 4 + recirc, others have reported that when driving around, suddenly they smell the fumes and know they are on fresh air when the car says it is on recirc. I drive 3 + recirc 85% of the time.

Thread about it here: AC Recirc not working and AC not as cold as prior to 8.0?

• Informative
Reactions: Boourns