TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Firmware 7.1

Discussion in 'Model S' started by NOLA_Mike, Jan 9, 2016.

1. BertL

BertL Supporting Member

I suspect Controls / Controls / Driving / Steering Control

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

How quickly you forget since I brought up this as a possible variable ;), "standard".

3. msnow

msnow Active Member

he's just asking me what my steering sensitivity setting is. We are trying to see if it affects torque and nags.

4. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

Oops, sorry -- hard to keep all the threads and sub-threads straight. Ok, then that makes it hard to compare your experience to
    mine (with Sport) in an apples-to-apples way.

• Like x 1
  5. Ingineer

Ingineer Electrical Engineer

It doesn't matter what the boost setting is on the steering. It's not about the torque you apply to the wheel but the mass it senses. The mass of your hand/arm is enough EXCEPT if you are gripping the wheel so lightly that the connection is "soft" enough that the effective mass is reduced.

If it's having trouble sensing you, then make your hand's connection to the wheel a little more solid and it will. Also, 2 hands is better than one (twice the mass).

• Informative x 2
  6. msnow

msnow Active Member

This is where I'm confused. I assumed you meant mass as defined in physics:
    mass definition. "In physics, the property of matter that measures its resistance to acceleration. Roughly, the mass of an object is a measure of the number of atoms in it. The basic unit of measurement for mass is the kilogram. (See Newton's laws of motion; compare weight.)"
    So are you talking about the surface size mass in contact with the steering wheel per your comment regarding two hands=twice the mass or resistance as in torque resistance or something else?

7. ccutrer

ccutrer Member

I'm pretty sure he's saying mass, as in it takes more torque for the steering wheel to turn itself with your hands on it. Because the wheel is constantly moving tiny amounts, it can detect you that way.

As opposed to how many of us have previously thought if it, that we need to directly apply torque to the wheel in order for it to detect us.

• Helpful x 1
  8. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I'm sure I'm just imaging it, but it seems like the system requires less mass with 8.0 than with 7.1

It's also possible that the two fingers I use have gained weight.

• Funny x 3
  9. Ingineer

Ingineer Electrical Engineer

I'm definitely saying mass, however a given mass connected to the acceleration force by a rubber band (your fingers) is going to appear to the steering systems load cell like way less mass.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

Just came here to appreciate 7.1.

Honestly 8.0 sounds like a nightmare.

• Like x 2
  11. alexdav

alexdav Member

Actually, it's awesome. I've noticed a huge improvement in autopilot braking. That alone makes it worth it to me.

• Like x 1
  12. jgs

jgs Active Member

It's a mixed bag. Overall, I don't think I'd roll back given the choice, even given the embarrassing botched job on media player.

• Like x 1
  13. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

I disagree. There's some good things (AP, some of the UI changes) and bad things (some of the UI changes), but to me it's an overall improvement.

Bruce.

[edit: Sorry, I just realized by replying to this post I'm contributing towards dragging the 7.1 thread off-topic. We should debate 8.0 merits in a more appropriate place.]

14. sillydriver

sillydriver Member

Interesting. I may be the last guy to get pushed a build of 7.1. I just got 2.36.31 and recorded it in the tracker.

15. Chris

Chris Member

I'd go back to 7.1 in a heartbeat but I don't have AP so I am having a different view on this than most of the other posters. Few of the UI changes are an improvement, most made it worse. I hate having to double tap just to get to a specific app or to the zoom buttons on the map. I like that there is less lag.

Also, since the update I'm having issues when the car is taking over a call upon entering the vehicle. Used to work perfectly now it disconnects the active call.

16. sillydriver

sillydriver Member

Before getting 2.36.31 I was on 2.28.19 installed way back in July. I live in a hilly area and this morning I was driving down the undulating country road I live on in good weather with no other cars in sight. As I drove over a crest of the road toward a trough at the usual 50 - 55 mph the collision warning beep went off, turning off the stereo and leaving it off. Apparently, 2.36.31 interpreted the radar echo of the road rising steeply on other side of the trough as an obstacle I was in danger of hitting. Sensitivity was medium both before and after the update.

I may be overstating it, but it seems that as time goes on the heavy hand of regulation (or potential regulation) is driving Tesla to crank up supposed safety at the expense of usability.

• Like x 1
  17. fsch

fsch Member

Hi all,

I'm still on firmware 7.1 (2.28.19). But I have a 2013 Model S, so no TACC or anything. Actually, I never got any update OTA, only got them when brining the car for service. Anyone in my situation? I'm happy with 7.1 but still...

18. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

I've stayed at 7.1 solely because I want my recirculated air. Until they change that "feature"/bug, I'm not planning to update unless I'm forced to because of a repair.

• Like x 1
  19. Boourns

Boourns Member

Can you explain? I am on 8.0 and can select recirculation. Sorry if I am missing something obvious.

20. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

Try selecting fan speed 3, recirculate turns to fresh air. Then hit recirculate and fan speed increases to 4. But even with 4 + recirc, others have reported that when driving around, suddenly they smell the fumes and know they are on fresh air when the car says it is on recirc. I drive 3 + recirc 85% of the time.

Thread about it here: AC Recirc not working and AC not as cold as prior to 8.0?

• Informative x 1