Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we CANNOT summon from our phone with this iteration, correct? Because I don't have the update yet, but I was able to update my Tesla app for iPhone and the only summon mention I see on it at this point is in Notifications. I don't see a Command feature to summon from the phone.

- - - Updated - - -

Ouch. That's not smart.

Yes, you can summon from the phone. The buttons won't appear until the car detects your FOB.

Have Tesla commented on countries other than the US getting the Summon feature maybe "in a few weeks after a delay for regulatory approval" as was the case for AP?

(even if I am not sure why regulatory approval would be required for use on private property).

Do me a favor, if you haven't downloaded 7.1. Have the climate off and note the temperature
in the car. See if the software update, pre conditions the car, so the cabin is comfortable for you, during the install. I always leave the climate "off" and today when I entered the car to do the install, the temperture had changed from 56, to 74 and the climate was still off, as I had left it.
Sounds like my car wanted me comfortable during the proceedings.

Do me a favor, if you haven't downloaded 7.1. Have the climate off and note the temperature
in the car. See if the software update, pre conditions the car, so the cabin is comfortable for you, during the install. I always leave the climate "off" and today when I entered the car to do the install, the temperture had changed from 56, to 74 and the climate was still off, as I had left it.
Sounds like my car wanted me comfortable during the proceedings.
So your heater actually works, then?:redface: Mine still makes me put it to 78-80 before it will even start to blow hot air.

I've seen a truck; definitely works.
No motorcycles, yet.

I saw trucks and motorcycles today. It seems to be right most of the time. A few times it saw a smaller truck as a car, and a bus as a car, but certainly several larger trucks and semis showed up as trucks, and I saw a motorcycle on the cluster as I passed one today.

- - - Updated - - -

My thoughts on the autopilot changes after about 120 miles on 7.1:

-The visualizations on the instrument cluster are nice. Sometimes they jump around a bit. Not sure if that's something Tesla can improve on or if it's just the limitation of the radar. Either way, it reminds me of playing Rad Racer, so that's a plus :). I keep wanting to press the down arrow button to change the radio station, but that doesn't seem to work in the car.
-Control in general seems a little bit smoother.
-Better handling of sharp curves.
-The car now centers better in the lane when it's passing between an adjacent car and a curb/barrier.
-The car's ability to continue straight instead of trying to turn into a turn lane is significantly improved.
-I didn't notice a timed nag, since I drove about 15 minutes on the highway today with no "hold the wheel" messages that I saw. However, I think with the new algorithms it's slightly more common to see this message in certain situations.

However,
-The car *still* biases way too far to the right when there's a curb or barrier to the left. They only seem to have improved this as you get about halfway past an adjacent car that you're passing. I had a few times today where the car passed much too close to an adjacent car and truck--it caused more puckering than necessary. This one thing causes more Autopilot puckers for me than anything else.
-A few places here and there are handled maybe a little bit worse than 7.0, although it's still a little early to make that determination.

Overall it's forward movement in capability, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I've seen truck icons change to cars and back as I got closer and further away. I also notice that they disappear when I overtake them as soon as I'm getting even with them.

I mention this because it makes me suspect that the system is just doing instantaneous sensing rather than building a dynamic model of the traffic around the car. I've not done any automobile software, but I'm doubtful that's a good approach. Some kind of situational awareness seems like it would be a lot more robust to me.

I've seen truck icons change to cars and back as I got closer and further away. I also notice that they disappear when I overtake them as soon as I'm getting even with them.

I mention this because it makes me suspect that the system is just doing instantaneous sensing rather than building a dynamic model of the traffic around the car. I've not done any automobile software, but I'm doubtful that's a good approach. Some kind of situational awareness seems like it would be a lot more robust to me.

100% agree, I saw this today too--a truck turned into a car as I got closer to it. On the plus side, it sees more cars than I thought it could, but I agree it seems to be more instantaneous vs. keeping track of the cars.

Did anyone get notification of the update but now it's gone on the car? There's a thread on teslamotors that I mentioned that I had an update notification on my iPhone but later there's no indication in the car. Shorty after posting two others said the same thing.

I was only on the road about 30 miles today after the 7.1 update installed. However, when my adjacent lane icons would appear only after the vehicle had cleared the mid-point of my car. Approaching vehicles still showed only as "bubbles" on the dashboard, just as before the update..

Tried summon again to get the car to back up to me in an empty parking lot. Moved about 10 feet then stopped: "Summon has aborted"

It worked fine for me in a parking lot. I used it to mess with my coworkers.

"During this Beta stage of Summon, we would like customers to become familiar with it on private property."
Summon Your Tesla from Your Phone | Tesla Motors

Parking lots are private property.

Sorry to interrupt the conversation but am I the only one who is curious about new autopilot visualizations. Why there are no videos/photos about new autopilot dashboard that shows cars/trucks/bikes in multiple lanes. I'd like to see how precise it is. Maybe it is too soon to ask..?

Today I was musing on what exactly makes a truck a truck. Semis always get the truck icon, but there are lots of weird edge cases where it doesn't choose the truck icon.

I saw trucks and motorcycles today. It seems to be right most of the time. A few times it saw a smaller truck as a car, and a bus as a car, but certainly several larger trucks and semis showed up as trucks, and I saw a motorcycle on the cluster as I passed one today.

- - - Updated - - -

My thoughts on the autopilot changes after about 120 miles on 7.1:

-The visualizations on the instrument cluster are nice. Sometimes they jump around a bit. Not sure if that's something Tesla can improve on or if it's just the limitation of the radar. Either way, it reminds me of playing Rad Racer, so that's a plus :). I keep wanting to press the down arrow button to change the radio station, but that doesn't seem to work in the car.
-Control in general seems a little bit smoother.
-Better handling of sharp curves.
-The car now centers better in the lane when it's passing between an adjacent car and a curb/barrier.
-The car's ability to continue straight instead of trying to turn into a turn lane is significantly improved.
-I didn't notice a timed nag, since I drove about 15 minutes on the highway today with no "hold the wheel" messages that I saw. However, I think with the new algorithms it's slightly more common to see this message in certain situations.

However,
-The car *still* biases way too far to the right when there's a curb or barrier to the left. They only seem to have improved this as you get about halfway past an adjacent car that you're passing. I had a few times today where the car passed much too close to an adjacent car and truck--it caused more puckering than necessary. This one thing causes more Autopilot puckers for me than anything else.
-A few places here and there are handled maybe a little bit worse than 7.0, although it's still a little early to make that determination.

Overall it's forward movement in capability, in my opinion.

I agree, to a point.

My experience has been that the car actually nags me more frequently to hold the steering wheel now, mostly in curves.
I think the vehicle doesn't "hug" cars in the adjacent lanes as much as it used to; in the past it seemed it was leaving the middle of the lane to move towards the other car.
In the past, it turned in tight corners very late, leading to a sling shot motion. I'm not sure yet if that's improved, because of the 5 mph over speed limit limitation.

I agree that it seemed like auto pilot would stay to the right of the lanes' center, but I've always wondered whether that was just due to my bias of staying closer to the left of center.

I agree, to a point.

My experience has been that the car actually nags me more frequently to hold the steering wheel now, mostly in curves.

I would say it nags a bit more, but I tend to notice it after one or more curves--not really in the curve itself.

In the past, it turned in tight corners very late, leading to a sling shot motion.

Spot-on. That's how I'd describe the old behavior. I notice much less slingshotting now.

I agree that it seemed like auto pilot would stay to the right of the lanes' center, but I've always wondered whether that was just due to my bias of staying closer to the left of center.

You can see on the toy car and by comparing space between left and right mirrors that it hugs to the right. Also, if you move your head toward the center of the car you can see it too.

Either way, a bias to the left of center while in the left lane is usually a safer position, unless you're on an undivided highway with traffic coming right at you immediately to your left.

I tried my standard interstate highway test run using v7.1: a 40 mile round trip for take-out sushi (I live out on a horse farm). The car nagged twice going out, and three times on the return. As I recall, the most nagging in the past had been twice one way and once the other. When AP first came out there were no nags at all on most of these runs. In total I have done perhaps 20 of these same runs on Interstate 66 with AP on. I assume these nags are programed, since if they only occur when the system is unsure of itself, then that means AP has been regressing, not improving. Conditions were fine today: going out there was good lighting from behind just after sunset, with no shadows and traffic light to moderate. Coming back it was night with clear weather and light traffic.

But the worst was passing a truck at night on the way back: as I was about to overtake the truck on a gentle right-hand curve my car began to swerve nearly off the road to the left. I grabbed the wheel and the system disconnected. I was going 80, him 75, with the speed limit 70 and no other traffic. Very bad. It shakes one's confidence.

EDIT: just to add some color, the truck was a long, unloaded flatbed semitrailer. Its rear end was a little side to side, but not so much that it would have put me off of passing him manually. I suspect what happened was that AP saw red tail lights swinging a bit toward my lane and projected the truck was going to intrude or change lanes. It took evasive action left, which is not wise at 80 mph at night in the left lane on a sweeping right hand curve. Perhaps AP would have corrected back right, but that would have been after it was time for me to end the experiment.

Last edited: