Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, indeed, both of my cars appear to have received the map update while not on Wifi. or at least the message about new maps being installed was displayed after each was parked while away from home when we returned to our cars after several hours of them being parked.

I received and notice yesterday, and I have an update waiting for my classic S85, second one this week, but my autopilot equipped S85 hasn't gotten an update in a while. Wonder what's up with that.

A while ago, I turn off the WiFi access point details to my home network as the signal to the car is bad based on where I place the router, given that it's more important for me to have strong signal through the house to my fixed and mobile electronic devices, rather than to the car.
I solved this problem by installing a 'powerline extender' (TP-Link WPA4220, though the model # might be different in the USA) - 2 little boxes that send and receive the ethernet signal over the house wiring; the receiver acts as a wifi extender. Works a treat.

Is it possible that Tesla is now preventing (some) cars from downloading firmware updates over a cellular network (3G or LTE)?
I ask because I've been "stuck" on a fairly old version of 7.1 (2.11.54) which is now 5 versions behind the latest (2.12.126).

A while ago, I turn off the WiFi access point details to my home network as the signal to the car is bad based on where I place the router, given that it's more important for me to have strong signal through the house to my fixed and mobile electronic devices, rather than to the car.

Looking back at my firmware update events, the last non-WiFi update I got over the air was in September 2015! The rest have been through a service center or via WiFi.

So after not getting any updates for a while, I decided to temporarily relocate my WiFi access point tonight to a location closer to where I park my car - and bingo! I see a flurry of activity on my router from the beast with a large download in progress.

Could it be that Tesla is limiting 3G/LTE downloads to reduce data network costs?

I think I'm further behind than you, but I'm on wifi every night at home; so while wifi vs. LTE may play some role, there's probably something else going on.

ETA: I'm on 2.9.172

I'm still on 2.9.154 (rec'd and installed on Jan. 8th) and I'm on WiFi at all times parked at home.

Almost identical situation here, Marc: Still on 2.9.154 which was received and installed on January 9th and parked at home with WiFi every night. Also received an update overnight that we'll install when my wife returns home from work. There seems to be a pretty widespread firmware push going on now, so it may just be a coincidence that you turned your WiFi back on and immediately received an update, Marc.

I got my .22 and .167 updates over wifi and the map upgrade over 3G.

For everyone saying they didn't get their maps update over WiFi, I'm wondering how you know this. For all we know, once downloaded the maps update could take six, twelve, or even twenty-four hours to unpack / install before the "your maps have been updated" message appears.

If someone's car had been off WiFi for a week or two straight, and received the update I think I'd acknowledge there's a pretty good chance they received it over something other than WiFi. But anything short of that, and I'd still have some questions.

Wow, the download of the firmware update to my car took over 3.5 hours! And I have a solid 12Mbps dedicated line (not cable), so the file must have been huge. Glad I didn't stay up and wait for it to complete...

The large file size may have been the reason for WiFi vs OTA requirement. Anyway, I'll initiate the installation when I get to work and report back with the version I received (and any noticeable changes).

The following systems were updated in 2.12.126:
  • Gateway (GTW)
  • Battery (BMS)
  • Charger(s) (CHG/CHGS)
  • Charge Port (CP)
  • Drive Inverter(s) (DI/DIS)
  • Pedal Monitor (PM)
  • Thermal/Hydro Controller (THC)
  • Driver Assistance/MobilEye (DAS)
  • Electronic Parking Brake (EPB)
  • Touchscreen (CID)
  • Instrument Cluster (IC)

- - - Updated - - -

For everyone saying they didn't get their maps update over WiFi, I'm wondering how you know this. For all we know, once downloaded the maps update could take six, twelve, or even twenty-four hours to unpack / install before the "your maps have been updated" message appears.

If someone's car had been off WiFi for a week or two straight, and received the update I think I'd acknowledge there's a pretty good chance they received it over something other than WiFi. But anything short of that, and I'd still have some questions.

FYI, they are using rsync to fetch the map updates:
{"url":"rsync://filesync.vn.teslamotors.com/mapdata/NA-Q413-5942e0a4/","target_version":"NA-Q413-5942e0a4","size":3627361703,"max_wifi_kbps":10000,"max_cell_kbps":0}

They limit the max bandwidth on WiFi to 10megs. It's one hell of an update at 3.6 gigs!

FYI, they are using rsync to fetch the map updates:
{"url":"rsync://filesync.vn.teslamotors.com/mapdata/NA-Q413-5942e0a4/","target_version":"NA-Q413-5942e0a4","size":3627361703,"max_wifi_kbps":10000,"max_cell_kbps":0}

They limit the max bandwidth on WiFi to 10megs. It's one hell of an update at 3.6 gigs!

No wonder it took >3.5 hours to download!

Interesting that max_cell_kpbs is 0. So I guess each version has a specific bandwidth limit, and this one was not allowed over a cell network - for good reason!

Everything makes sense now. Thanks for the details! :smile:

Last edited:
FWIW I don't believe I've ever received a map update over anything but WiFi. WiFi at our house requires WPA Enterprise (or WPA2 Enterprise) which Tesla does not (or did not, haven't checked recently) support. Similar problem at hotels.

The only update I've ever received, or at least that I've received notice for, was nearly a year ago when I connected to a friends WiFi to see if that would help me get an update that everyone else had received a long time before (it didn't). I got the LTE upgrade last Sep and that hasn't seemed to have given us a map update either unless there is no longer notice of the updates.

The following systems were updated in 2.12.126:
  • Gateway (GTW)
  • Battery (BMS)
  • Charger(s) (CHG/CHGS)
  • Charge Port (CP)
  • Drive Inverter(s) (DI/DIS)
  • Pedal Monitor (PM)
  • Thermal/Hydro Controller (THC)
  • Driver Assistance/MobilEye (DAS)
  • Electronic Parking Brake (EPB)
  • Touchscreen (CID)
  • Instrument Cluster (IC)

Interesting. When I did an md5sum and file list difference for 2.12.45 -> 2.12.126 I only saw one firmware file difference... perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place somehow. 2.12.45->2.12.126 was only an 8MB download for me.

Did you go from 2.12.22 -> 2.12.126? Because that would explain it.

Interesting. When I did an md5sum and file list difference for 2.12.45 -> 2.12.126 I only saw one firmware file difference... perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place somehow. 2.12.45->2.12.126 was only an 8MB download for me.

Did you go from 2.12.22 -> 2.12.126? Because that would explain it.

Yeah, I think you're right. It should be worth noting that there is almost no consistency across the fleet. Most cars skip a lot of minor versions.

I would raise this point about firmware updates as well. When I report a firmware update to the firmware tracker, I enter it has having been received via the connectivity the car had at the time I got the update notification on my iPhone. But this doesn't have to be the actual way I received it, because of possible, impossible to quantify, delays in verifying and/or unpacking the update.

FWIW I don't believe I've ever received a map update over anything but WiFi. WiFi at our house requires WPA Enterprise (or WPA2 Enterprise) which Tesla does not (or did not, haven't checked recently) support. Similar problem at hotels.

The only update I've ever received, or at least that I've received notice for, was nearly a year ago when I connected to a friends WiFi to see if that would help me get an update that everyone else had received a long time before (it didn't). I got the LTE upgrade last Sep and that hasn't seemed to have given us a map update either unless there is no longer notice of the updates.

I use a base station that supports multiple SSIDs connected to different VLANs and my Tesla is connected to my guest network which doesn't require WPA2 enterprise.

Almost identical situation here, Marc: Still on 2.9.154 which was received and installed on January 9th and parked at home with WiFi every night. Also received an update overnight that we'll install when my wife returns home from work. There seems to be a pretty widespread firmware push going on now, so it may just be a coincidence that you turned your WiFi back on and immediately received an update, Marc.

Just got the Software Update Notification. Within 6 hours of posting here that I haven't seen one in almost 2 months...

Mike