Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The updates on the CID/IC are made to an inactive partition (bootbank). If the HWIDACQ fails in the GW due to a problem with firmware on a module, it will (should) revert to the original bootbank and run the old software.

I just tested this, and for some reason my dual charger P85D updated to 2.12.126 this past Friday is not afflicted with this bug....

...If I didn't follow the correct protocol to reproduce the error, Mike, let me know, but I'm pretty sure that I did.

Thanks for checking it out Andy. Sounds like you don't have the "bug". I never worry about the 1A variation I get at the end - I find it usually sits there and oscillates between my setting (50A) and 49A and figure that is rounding or truncating error (like it may show 49A if it is actually 49.9, 49.8, etc.).

Mike

...I also noticed that it broke WiFi on one car, but cellular is still functioning.

Anyone else having trouble with WiFi on 2.12.126?
Had not noticed this, but just went out to check. Yes, WiFi on my 2.12.126 level was non-operational. It's been solid as a rock before this code drop, with no issues at firmware updates. Touched the LTE icon on the 17" and available WiFi networks list appeared with my default one still in place -- just not in use. I reselected that same default WiFi network, connection took place, and WiFi is going again.

BTW, have not yet heard from my SC re the dual-charger issue I reported on Sunday here and to Tesla. I suspect they are working on it. ;)

Since the update to 2.12.126, I have had a couple of issues with the charge port. It no longer lights up at all. I can still plug it in to charge but I am not getting any lights or colors. In addition, the charge port does not auto close anymore. This morning I tried to manually close it and it kept reopening. It did this until I rebooted the screens and then I could close it manually. The charge port lights are still not working. I have a call out to Tesla and they are going to review some logs. Anyone else experience something like this?

Why? Why are you going to call them?

At this point this is a known problem, and you can be confident that Tesla knows about it and is working on it. Calling them isn't going to get them to solve the problem any faster. If things go what I would consider poorly, Tesla will waste more time and resources either having you bring the car in or sending a ranger out to you. Either scenario will accomplish absolutely nothing!

I would suggest at most, emailing Tesla to let them know that your car is also afflicted with this known problem, but that you understand that they are already aware of it and working on it, and that you don't expect them to do anything special for you. This way it will be documented that you had the problem, should that be necessary for some reason, but you won't waste anyone's time on a problem that obviously can only be solved with a firmware update, and in all likelihood will be within days.

While I support your sentiment about not needlessly wasting Tesla's time, I think it is reasonable for an owner to ensure Tesla knows their car is experiencing an issue and for the company to provide some feedback about what the owner should expect regarding resolution. Frankly I think Tesla brings this "over communication issue" on themselves because their communication processes are so very poor.

For example, in 3 months of ownership, I have had 3 issues where the car's functionality was impacted, twice it stopped being able to connect to the cellular network and now the 1/2 charge rate issue. In each case, when I reported the problem, I was told we'll look into it and call you later today or tomorrow with an update. I've never received a call with an update from them. I have always had to call them and ask what is going on with this issue? Often the response is we'll get back to you later today or tomorrow morning. But again, I've never got a call.

It is all about setting expectations. If they just said, we know about the problem (which the guy I talked to regarding the charging issue didn't even though it had been widely reported on the forums), we are working on it and we will let you know when we have a fix. That would be fine, I wouldn't be expecting a call later that day.

There are a lot of fairly simple things Tesla could do to make their communications more robust and improve customer satisfaction around issue resolution.

Last edited:
That's much appreciated!
I know that the same has been done in Norwegian forums in the past. Still, not a single report from Norway, UK, Germany. Very odd.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks - I see that you specify Japan in the Notes section, but that isn't taken into account in the statistics. Could you update your country?
On the tracker, click on Home, then on the little pencil after the description of your car. That opens a new window where you can update the car data, including the country :)

Thanks

Updated!

Since the update to 2.12.126, I have had a couple of issues with the charge port. It no longer lights up at all. I can still plug it in to charge but I am not getting any lights or colors. In addition, the charge port does not auto close anymore. This morning I tried to manually close it and it kept reopening. It did this until I rebooted the screens and then I could close it manually. The charge port lights are still not working. I have a call out to Tesla and they are going to review some logs. Anyone else experience something like this?

I am not encountering any odd problem like you describe with my charge port -- only the "half charging rate" and WiFi issue previously described. Glad you called Tesla -- that wa ps the right move. Sure seems like Tesla has some QA issues with this code drop.

While I support your sentiment about not needlessly wasting Tesla's time, I think it is reasonable for an owner to ensure Tesla knows their car is experiencing an issue and for the company to provide some feedback about what the owner should expect regarding resolution. Frankly I think Tesla brings this "over communication issue" on themselves because their communication processes are so very poor.

For example, in 3 months of ownership, I have had 3 issues where the car's functionality was impacted, twice it stopped being able to connect to the cellular network and now the 1/2 charge rate issue. In each case, when I reported the problem, I was told we'll look into it and call you later today or tomorrow with an update. I've never received a call with an update from them. I have always had to call them and ask what is going on with this issue? Often the response is we'll get back to you later today or tomorrow morning. But again, I've never got a call.

It it is all about setting expectations. If they just said, we know about the problem (which the guy I talked to didn't regarding the charging issue didn't even though it had been widely reported on the forums), we are working on it and we will let you know when we have a fix. That would be fine, I wouldn't be expecting a call later that day.

there are a lot of fairly simple things Tesla could do to make their communications more robust and improve customer satisfaction around issue resolution.

I agree with you 100% that Tesla could and should communicate better. You won't get an argument from me on that point. And it's not just an issue of how Tesla communicates with its customers, but also how Tesla communicates internally. One of the reasons I suggested that calling in the known issue today would simply be a waste of everyone's time (though I did suggest emailing about it if the poster wanted it documented) was because of how poor Tesla's internal communications are. I thought it was highly likely that the poster would wind up speaking to someone who was hearing about the issue for the first time, and would then take what they believed to be the appropriate action of either sending out a ranger or scheduling an immediate service center visit. If Tesla's communications systems were better I wouldn't have had to make the suggestion not to call, as calling in a situation where Tesla was already aware of this problem would not have been a problem. But knowing what I know about how Tesla works, I feared it would be.

In this particular situation we, as users of TMC, sharing information, almost certainly have better information about this issue a couple of days after it has sprung up than whomever it was the poster was likely to reach by calling Tesla. We know with 100% certainty that this is a software problem and not a hardware problem. We also know that Tesla is usually excellent about fixing software problems like this quite quickly. So there simply isn't any purpose served by calling Tesla.

Again, emailing to simply have it recorded that your car is affected is fine, in my opinion. And for anyone who called early yesterday, I think that was fine too, since some people had to be the ones to let Tesla know there was an issue. But now that we know that they know, let's just let them fix it. They always do.

Edit:

It should go without saying that I am in no way opposed to people with "new" problems that we don't yet know that Tesla knows about calling to report them, as ricci21 did. Obviously we need to keep doing that if we find new issues.

Last edited:
And now for our regularly scheduled statistics update.

Oh WOW. 2.12.126 is definitely not stopped; we have now 231 cars in the tracker that have received this version, and after it seemed for a long time that it was restricted to just a few countries we now have very broad geographic distribution (US, Canada, Australia, Japan, and a good cross section of Europe). It's widely distributed based on all other metrics I usually look into, battery, drive, AP, VIN range. So this is quite clearly what Tesla considers the "current version to be rolled out".

So now we are back in the space where I wonder who has NOT gotten it yet. If you are still on an earlier build (and not because you are refusing the pending update), I'd love to hear from you. And if you are on .126 and just haven't updated the tracker, it would be nice if you could spend a minute to do so at Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

Last edited:
I wonder if part of the "70amp" barrier half-charge bug is a result of Programmer A (from before) having the dual-charger code out there and the ramp up split between the two chargers, and Programmer B made changes into the codebase b/c of the Model X and that is interfering with the dual-charger split logic somehow? Just a wild guess here, but I find it interesting that the X "better charger" goes up to 72 amp and this bug only affects use under that level but above 40; like if they were trying to tweak the logic around between standard 40 amp charging vs. single-charger 72 amp charging.

I wonder if part of the "70amp" barrier half-charge bug is a result of Programmer A (from before) having the dual-charger code out there and the ramp up split between the two chargers, and Programmer B made changes into the codebase b/c of the Model X and that is interfering with the dual-charger split logic somehow? Just a wild guess here, but I find it interesting that the X "better charger" goes up to 72 amp and this bug only affects use under that level but above 40; like if they were trying to tweak the logic around between standard 40 amp charging vs. single-charger 72 amp charging.

I think you may be on to something there! That is an excellent observation, and I fear you may very well be correct that this is somehow related to the X limitation on charging. That being the case, I can only imagine how frequently things like this are likely to pop up in the future. I mean we got buggy firmware updates in the past, when there was only one major Model line being supported. Add in a second, and, well...let's just say I fear this may be the first of many similar situations.

The updates on the CID/IC are made to an inactive partition (bootbank). If the HWIDACQ fails in the GW due to a problem with firmware on a module, it will (should) revert to the original bootbank and run the old software.

Yeah, I know... but it doesn't switch back to the original once it switches over to the new one, and the IC switches to the new one immediately, before the HWID checks. I've tried this on my bench a dozen times while tinkering with the updater and my IC is always left with the new firmware after the CID/gw give up and restart. I've tried with everything up to the latest 2.12.126 update.

Had not noticed this, but just went out to check. Yes, WiFi on my 2.12.126 level was non-operational. It's been solid as a rock before this code drop, with no issues at firmware updates. Touched the LTE icon on the 17" and available WiFi networks list appeared with my default one still in place -- just not in use. I reselected that same default WiFi network, connection took place, and WiFi is going again.

BTW, have not yet heard from my SC re the dual-charger issue I reported on Sunday here and to Tesla. I suspect they are working on it. ;)
I am having WiFi issues as well. If I want to connect, I have to manually select my access point. Wifi then appears to work. But come back a few hours later and I am back to 3G.

So now we are back in the space where I wonder who has NOT gotten it yet. If you are still on an earlier build (and not because you are refusing the pending update), I'd love to hear from you. And if you are on .126 and just haven't updated the tracker, it would be nice if you could spend a minute to do so at Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

Still on 2.10.71, despite receiving the last few updates pretty quickly (within a few days of rollout starting). Model S60 w/AP in Canada.

I am having WiFi issues as well. If I want to connect, I have to manually select my access point. Wifi then appears to work. But come back a few hours later and I am back to 3G.
Great observation. Thx. I too manually selected WiFi and it worked, but just back from errands, picked up on your post, and my MS has also not connected back to WiFi automagically like it used to. Reselecting it from the 17" works, but it appears to be a manual intervention now to get WiFi operational again each time.

I just sent this bug report off to [email protected]. Hopefully others with the problem do the same.

Still on 2.10.71, despite receiving the last few updates pretty quickly (within a few days of rollout starting). Model S60 w/AP in Canada.
Thanks for the data point. Yes, 2.10.71 is the previous "full release" that they did for 7.1. If they follow their usual pattern you should either get 2.12.126 fairly soon (or we'll see a newer build that hopefully addresses the charging issue). BTW: do you have dual chargers?

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like they are rolling .126 out again. Did they fix the reported Issues? I am still on 2.11.54

Whenever they make any changes, the build # changes as well. So no, the .126 they are rolling out is still the same firmware that causes the charging issues for many people with dual chargers. Do you have dual chargers by any chance?

Some of the recent firmware update versions have included the following note under "Additional Improvements:"

"Regenerative braking at low temperatures has been improved."

I started a thread to discuss how regenerative braking has been improved. I also wrote to Tesla. A copy of my note to [email protected] and the response I received is included in the first post in the thread.

The thread is here:
Regenerative Braking Improvement At Low Temperatures Means What Exactly?

Thanks for the data point. Yes, 2.10.71 is the previous "full release" that they did for 7.1. If they follow their usual pattern you should either get 2.12.126 fairly soon (or we'll see a newer build that hopefully addresses the charging issue). BTW: do you have dual chargers?

- - - Updated - - -

Whenever they make any changes, the build # changes as well. So no, the .126 they are rolling out is still the same firmware that causes the charging issues for many people with dual chargers. Do you have dual chargers by any chance?

Yes, I have dual chargers. So that could be a possible reason I haven't been updated yet.