Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My brain is operating at less the peak efficiency today. Can someone give me a real world example of what makes this version of Summon useful? I get that people might have extremely tight garages or whatever. But for most of us, what does this help with? I want to get excited but so far I'm not.

Ever had to park in a very tight garage spot in the city? And then you find out that neither you nor your passengers can get out of the car? This would be perfect for the times I'm in downtown D.C. where all the parking spots underground are built for 2 door honda civic hatchbacks. I can pull up to the spot, have everyone get out and then have the car park itself. Same when you need to get back into the car -- have the car pull out, and then everyone can pile in without worrying about the doors.

My brain is operating at less the peak efficiency today. Can someone give me a real world example of what makes this version of Summon useful? I get that people might have extremely tight garages or whatever. But for most of us, what does this help with? I want to get excited but so far I'm not.
It is a first step in more advanced summoning. Consider that you may someday use a map app on your phone and ask your car to come from point A to B or to drop you off and go find a parking space. Baby steps, but necessary steps

What bug is that?

Right, so Tesla has not fixed the climate UI in 7.1. Dang. So much for Elon's touted UI improvements.

For those who forgot that we used to have status indicators and what that looked like in 6.x see below (Cyclone's image):

I took the photo apacheguy is showing. Fresh vs. recirc is on auto and thus, neither fresh nor recirc. Are black to tell us which is in use like the air flow section below it.

Works anywhere. I freaked my wife out when she was waiting for me in the car while I ran into the store. When I got back I used the summon feature to pull the car out of the parking spot. Way cool.
Hmm, I thought Tesla would have geofenced this to your home and where Homelink is setup. This could get interesting with folks 'trying' it different places.

... Also, when pulling out of the garage, it will happily drive off the edge of my driveway into the back yard (I have a rear facing garage with a relatively small turnaround pad). It would be good if we could change the 30' limit to one we customize for our location to avoid this issue.

The first time I tried it the car was in the garage and it backed out all the way up to a wall opposite the garage, stopping about 4 inches from it (or I might have stopped it, not sure which happened first). I played with it from there, going in and out of the garage and it kept backing up to the wall. Then drove around and pulled in closer to the garage where I'd normally use it and had it park itself in the garage. When I then had it back out again, it stopped at about the same spot where it drove in from the previous time, nowhere close to the wall. I think it learns how far to back out based on where it pulled in from.

Other observations: it will go into the garage at the angle you had it when you told it to go it. If that angle puts it close to an obstacle before it's all the way in, it'll just stop there. I have a post next to the space and it stopped once the post was about 4" from the side of the front bumper. I need it to park fairly close to the post so getting the angle right before telling it to go in is crucial. Frankly it's a lot easier to just drive in myself at that point. Backing out of the tight garage is a much more useful feature in my case - it'll let my wife get the car out without me involved. As others have said, it's willing to drive past all the same warnings/STOPs that I would normally drive through getting into this garage. It's very impressive and should work for many tight garages.

Works anywhere. I freaked my wife out when she was waiting for me in the car while I ran into the store. When I got back I used the summon feature to pull the car out of the parking spot. Way cool.

LOL.

Shame you can't talk through the console via your phone then you could pretend the car was AI. She screams to stop the car.. and you reply " I'm sorry (wife's name) I'm afraid I can't do that " then you lock the doors remotely :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing you can do is to drive to your local Service Center and ask them to push it to you while you are there and install it at home. I've done this once before leaving on a trip knowing there was a fix to something I needed before leaving. Of course the SvC would have to be a convenient distance for that to make sense.
With all of the overload of service centers, I do not think this is an appropriate use of a service center's time no matter how convenient the distance is.

I think most of the release has some nice fixes/tweaks in it, but the summon feature overall is just the item that isn't overall that useful but will get some buzz/media at least. Plus they can now shut up a number of people that complain(ed) about that sentence that was on the website stating you'll be able to summon your MS being fulfilled finally.

Even though I have a 3 car garage the space is tight where I park so it will be very useful to me depending on how well it works. I haven't got the update yet to try it though.

I cannot WAIT for this feature to become available to download for me. It is the most anticipated update for me. I park in an incredibly tight condo parking space with SUVs on both sides. Ever try loading 2 toddlers into and out of a car where you can't always even open the door to the first detent? Now I can stop short of my space, load or unload, and park it while being able to keep a close eye on the kids in a busy parking garage.

From all parents - thank you, Tesla engineers!

With all of the overload of service centers, I do not think this is an appropriate use of a service center's time no matter how convenient the distance is.

It took them less than 30 seconds to initiate the download. That was the extent of their involvement and they were happy to do it. Had they been too busy and couldn't do it I would have understood.

Ever had to park in a very tight garage spot in the city? And then you find out that neither you nor your passengers can get out of the car? This would be perfect for the times I'm in downtown D.C. where all the parking spots underground are built for 2 door honda civic hatchbacks. I can pull up to the spot, have everyone get out and then have the car park itself. Same when you need to get back into the car -- have the car pull out, and then everyone can pile in without worrying about the doors.
that sounds great except for when those cars whose drivers had to squeeze in next to your car, open their doors and ding up your car

@tstafford
I am not sure you got the right answer to your answer yet, since I understand you have actually no use of it - and neither do I.
But does it really matter ?

I am excited and you should be too, since it is very important to know that ...you don't know why you would, but you could.

Got it ?

More seriously, helpful or not - it just illustrates again that this car is in another league.
All OTA, and continuously improving. Sometimes there is something for you, sometimes you pass...

Last edited:
Well for me, it may well mean I go ahead and "Configure" my X reservation.