Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find that the restrictions are inconsistent. So far, I've only found roads that should be restricted but aren't. I've yet to find a road that is restricted when it shouldn't be. It also does the speed limit +5 based on what it thinks the limit is. If it's confused, it limits to the wrong speed
I'm glad to hear you have had no false positives, but then you say that it limits to the wrong speed, that sounds somewhat like a false positive to me. If I'm on a road that I used to be able to drive 100km/hr on, and it misreads the sign as 10km/hr (and I know of a highway here where it does that 100% of the time) that means I would be forced to go hazardously under the speed limit.

I'll wait for some more feedback. But if it's as bad as you just said, I'm not upgrading.

- - - Updated - - -

green1 will be disappointed with this
it's only disappointment if it's not what you expected. This is exactly what I expected. That said, it doesn't make me happy.

I've been driving with 7.1 for a few hours. Some important notes (and a video):

It definitely asks you to place your hands on the wheel more. When driving on a straight, uncomplicated road on Autopilot, I keep my index finger and thumb looped around the wheel, ready to take over instantly. Since 7.0, I've been driving the same stretches of roads without a single "Place hands on wheel." I'm talking months without seeing it. Today, over a 20 minute span with 7.1, I had 3 "Place hands on wheel" warnings. There was no particular reasoning. This was a 50mph 3-lane highway with a center divider and clear lane markings (with reflectors). There does appear to be some kind of counter now. It was particularly annoying because, like I said, I was actually resting my fingers on the wheel, but it wasn't enough. I had to grip the wheel and kinda nudge it, which seems counterproductive and more dangerous?

Also, Autosteer is activating in less locations. I even made a video of it. Sorry for the shaking... I didn't have my suction cup mount with me. But you can see clear lane markings and no Autosteer. And, to be clear, this is a road I've traveled on regularly and never had an issue before:

Tesla 7.1 AutoSteer Not Activating - YouTube

EDIT: It was misting out so the wipers were on intermittently. As you can see, the lanes were very clear, but someone on YouTube suggested it may have been the weather.

Last edited:
That +5 MPH buffer on Auto Steer Beta is less restrictive than what was in the release notes previously.

Fair point, but I drove up from Fl to NY in November and I loved how it "actually" worked. Cruise @ 75 - 80 middle lane unless someone in front was slower and ichad the option to pass or follow the slower car. Automatic protection in front and sides as long as I was below the 88 limit for Autosteeer.

When backing out of the garage can you tell the car how far to back out?
Yes, for those of us with rather shorter than 39' driveways, I'm worried about its ending up in the street.

- - - Updated - - -

Fair point, but I drove up from Fl to NY in November and I loved how it "actually" worked. Cruise @ 75 - 80 middle lane unless someone in front was slower and ichad the option to pass or follow the slower car. Automatic protection in front and sides as long as I was below the 88 limit for Autosteeer.
But that limit is not for freeways. Just for undivided roads. Your scenario would still work as before, except for more "nags" according to some others.

This seems like a sizeable roll-out. 69 reports in the first day. So far all Model S. Seems fairly well distributed across models. No 90s, but there aren't all that many on the road, yet, so that could just be an issue with the small sample size.
But it's about 1:1 AWD/RWD, 2:1 AP/non-AP, we have reports in every VIN range except for 100k+ (ahh - that might be correlated to the "no 90s")

I'm glad to hear you have had no false positives, but then you say that it limits to the wrong speed, that sounds somewhat like a false positive to me. If I'm on a road that I used to be able to drive 100km/hr on, and it misreads the sign as 10km/hr (and I know of a highway here where it does that 100% of the time) that means I would be forced to go hazardously under the speed limit.

I'll wait for some more feedback. But if it's as bad as you just said, I'm not upgrading.

As long as the car recognizes that road as a divided highway (assuming it is a divided highway) you'd be fine. Of course if it is one of the roads that the new restrictions would be implemented on, you wouldn't be able to use Auto Steer and TACC together, though from other posts it sounds like you could use Auto Steer, and the accelerator pedal.

If that trip was on divided highways, this new limitation would have no impact on your trip. Since you say "middle lane" that sounds like three lanes in each direction, which sounds like a divided highway. You should be able to drive exactly the same way with this version of the software.

This seems like a sizeable roll-out. 69 reports in the first day. So far all Model S. Seems fairly well distributed across models. No 90s, but there aren't all that many on the road, yet, so that could just be an issue with the small sample size.
But it's about 1:1 AWD/RWD, 2:1 AP/non-AP, we have reports in every VIN range except for 100k+ (ahh - that might be correlated to the "no 90s")
Yep. Maybe so. 108409 here.

-On a residential road where the car didn't know the speed limit, autosteer limited my speed to 45 mph. Setting cruise higher doesn't make the car go faster, however you can apply pedal pressure to speed up while keeping autosteer engaged. Great compromise for safety and functionality!
[Upset with] Tesla. No updates for me anymore, I guess. And _other_ AutoSteer updates actually sound like safety improvements. Double [upset with] Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

As long as the car recognizes that road as a divided highway (assuming it is a divided highway) you'd be fine. Of course if it is one of the roads that the new restrictions would be implemented on, you wouldn't be able to use Auto Steer and TACC together, though from other posts it sounds like you could use Auto Steer, and the accelerator pedal.
If the car can't detect the limit you're still limited to 45mph. And my car CAN NOT detect limit or even read freaking signs more than half of the time (yes, it's Oregon with its weird font on speed limit signs). And even then, on many roads with 45mph limit driving at 50mph will create a road hazard by forcing pretty much everybody else to pass you.

And pressing accelerator constantly to placate the AP is [totally] ridiculous. It's like they don't understand why people want it.

Way to go Tesla, way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
So this is pretty much 26 pages on the one part of 7.1 that won't be available where I live.

How about at least a few posts on everything other than summon?

Some UI shots? (power meter, new AP display, any other new apps?)

Some talk about the restrictions would be good too. Considering that the car actually knows the speed limit on any given road less than 50% of the time, how do these restrictions work? how accurate is it at knowing which roads have dividers or not?

Let's hear about the important parts of this update!

They put a digital clock back on the dash, next to the gear indicator.

The outside temp got moved to the dash also. Next to the little useless battery meter.

As someone else mentioned, they removed the source select from the Media app.

The climate control (now?) shows the car is in range mode.

I think the analog clock looks different.

Kinda frustrated that my p85d has not received the update yet. Seems like most of the cars that have received it so far are the same model and vin range as mine. Safe to assume there is nothing that can be done on my end to speed things along?

Kinda frustrated that my p85d has not received the update yet. Seems like most of the cars that have received it so far are the same model and vin range as mine. Safe to assume there is nothing that can be done on my end to speed things along?

Unfortunately not, unless you want to stop by a service center. I would, but the closest one to me is a couple hours away. I'm in the same boat, still waiting for it to show up. Really thought it would be there when I woke up today, but apparently not. I haven't had any firmware updates pushed to me since 7.0. Not a fan of the seemingly random way tesla seems to sends these out.

Since this update adds little to non-AP cars, more frustrating that they didn't prioritize the AP cars that can actually use it! Maybe tesla is mad at me for insulting their crap iPhone app.

New Tesla iPhone App Update out allowing "Summoning" of car via the iPhone app.

20160110_120405000_iOS.png

Last edited: