Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any idea how this works? Do you have to be close to the car? And has there been any confirmation that if you have a short driveway, the tesla would just drive itself right into the road if you're not there to stop it?

It appears you have to be close to the car. If you're not, the option does not appear. I mistakenly thought summon hadn't been implemented on the backend yet.

It would have been more clear if the summon button appeared greyed out if you're not in the geofence instead of disappearing.

If you want to be able to summon the car and be nowhere around then theoretically you could leave a spare phone with the Tesla App in the garage all of the time and use remote software on the phone you carry to control the phone in the garage making the car think you are right next to it but not. I wouldn't do it but I guarantee someone will eventually.

If you want to be able to summon the car and be nowhere around then theoretically you could leave a spare phone with the Tesla App in the garage all of the time and use remote software on the phone you carry to control the phone in the garage making the car think you are right next to it but not. I wouldn't do it but I guarantee someone will eventually.

It does not work that way.

The car does not know if the phone app is actually near the vehicule. It should also not know if it is on the same wifi network. It can't use bluetooth since when the car is off bluetooth is off too.

The only way to know that is to compare the phone's location (as reported by the phone's OS) and the car location (as reported by the car's GPS).
So leaving a phone nearby will only allow that phone to summon the car, but not an other one.

@Spottiq,
this is what Vince was saying. In his proposed set up, the phone nearby the car is the reference phone. The phone you carry only receives an image of the reference phone. The location of the carried phone is not used.

Why (and how) would the app on the phone you use get the location of the other phone ?

What do you mean by "receiving an image of the reference phone" ?

It is easier to look at it like your computer. For computer support you can use all sorts of applications to take control of a computer remotely. Best Buy can provide Geek Squad support on your home computer using these applications just like any remote administrator would.

Applications that you are manipulating are on lets call it cell phone A in your garage. You can be anywhere in the world and execute a program on the phone with you (phone B) to literally take control over that phone in your garage. That phone A in your garage is on the same network, is located via GPS right next to the car. Phone B is seeing the screen of A and can execute any application and perform any function on Phone A remotely including backing your car out or into the garage.

Like I said I'll never do it but someone will.

I'm just waiting for my friggin update.

Some in Texas have received it, but I wouldn't be so eager to be one of the first. Better to get it after a week or two when they're sending out a minor update with bug fixes. It always happens. That's why the new releases are rolled out slowly, so any bugs don't hit all the cars at once.

There is truth to what you say. Don't forget the guy that backed over a bike or his wife's bushes (can't remember which one, bike sounds more dramatic). This was immediately following torque sleep update IIRC.

- - - Updated - - -

No 7.1 yet. No Android app update. Hope it's not linked...

Android will get it in 2 years

...It would have been more clear if the summon button appeared greyed out if you're not in the geofence instead of disappearing.

Perhaps. More coding I suppose could refine it as you suggest, but I suspect part of Tesla's reasoning may be to just not show the option at all when it's not available for any reason, including e.g. if it's not available in some geo perhaps because of legalities, Tesla would likely pi@@-off less customers by not showing even a greyed-out option that would never apply to them. We do already have complaints from non-US owners here about the feature not (yet?) being made available to them. ;)

We are on a long road trip in the US with our Canadian S85D. Will we be able to download the 7.1 upgrade through LTE/3G or only wifi? Will we get the notice while out of country with the car?
Seen nothing yet.

You may get it via either, but my advice would be even if you receive the update, to wait until you are home to install it. The odds are it goes smoothly, but you don't want to risk having a problem in the middle of your long trip, far from home. I never update my phone or laptop while traveling either, for the same reason.

Doesn't anyone else find it curious that no 90 packs anywhere in the world have reported getting this update?
Yes, it's curious, but we'll never know what Tesla's real reason for deploying releases may be.

My teams and I used to sometimes change deployment strategies and stagger release based on need to get input from certain populations first, or when Mktg or some Exec told us to get it done ASAP -- to initially limit it to populations where all our use cases had been completed while the teams were finishing detail on some outliers. It could just be some Tesla program manager that has control over this loves having the power, and plays a bit of a game with Owners that doesn't really hurt anything, but allows him or her to have a big smirk on their face as they read threads like this. I could of course tell you there is the possibility there may be a present in the eventual S90 code release like fixes for our non-60/70/85 Rated Range display problem, but I wouldn't want to speculate on something I have no facts on -- not that anyone around here ever does! AHAHAH :)

...I could of course tell you there is the possibility there may be a present in the eventual S90 code release like fixes for our non-60/70/85 Rated Range display problem, but I wouldn't want to speculate on something I have no facts on -- not that anyone around here ever does! AHAHAH :)

I had the same exact speculative hope. [emoji3]