Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not on this "baby step" iteration, Hank. You'd have to make the first turn and then get the car lined up with the garage door. While backing, it will just stop when it senses the SUV.

Ok, so at what point does the car have to be properly aligned to enter the garage? What if it's off by 5 degrees? 10 degrees? What's the threshold before the car says "Sorry, Dave, I can't do that"?

Be aware that if the AP misreads a sign, you can be stuck at 35mph on a 55mph road quite easily.

That's never happened to me, but the accelerator still works just fine.

In general, I only use AP on secondary roads in stop and go traffic, where it is wonderful. Other than that, I think it's no where near competent enough for use on non-limited access roads.

That's never happened to me, but the accelerator still works just fine.

In general, I only use AP on secondary roads in stop and go traffic, where it is wonderful. Other than that, I think it's no where near competent enough for use on non-limited access roads.

You never had AP misread a sign?

I have more than once. On a highway here, we have both 55mph lanes (free) and 65mph lanes (paid), but the speed limit sign can be visible from either roadway. So if I'm going 55mph, I often see AP think it's a 65mph road. (my advantage, but still misread)

Another common problem, on ONE particular road, for ONE particular sign, the speed limit is 45mph, and AP reads it as 15mph. Now, on any given day I'm usually not going more than 15mph anyways, lol, but still, that would be not in my favor.

Ok, so at what point does the car have to be properly aligned to enter the garage? What if it's off by 5 degrees? 10 degrees? What's the threshold before the car says "Sorry, Dave, I can't do that"?

I just got 7.1 today, so others can answer this better than me. But, I'll experiment with the garage tonight a little and report back if no one else has tried this. First I have to see if it will get over my 3/4" garage lip.

You never had AP misread a sign?

I have more than once. On a highway here, we have both 55mph lanes (free) and 65mph lanes (paid), but the speed limit sign can be visible from either roadway. So if I'm going 55mph, I often see AP think it's a 65mph road. (my advantage, but still misread)

Another common problem, on ONE particular road, for ONE particular sign, the speed limit is 45mph, and AP reads it as 15mph. Now, on any given day I'm usually not going more than 15mph anyways, lol, but still, that would be not in my favor.

I drive the Express lanes on the toll road and I chuckle at this all the time. This weekend, I drove down to Middleburg and Route 50 has sections where there are two speed signs posted directly on top of each other "55mph for cars, 45mph for trucks". Sadly, the Tesla latched on to the latter. No biggie, but yeah, mis-reads are common in my experience.

To realign the garage door blocked-opening sensor beam to keep the existing low level
sensing and add bumper-height sensing, with a Z-shaped sensor beam (A, B, C, D),
add two small mirrors (B and C), as described below (or some similar variation):

Great idea.. thanks, Gary.

- - - Updated - - -

3. Tried autopilot for a minute on a divided highway. It started slowing down for a curve.

Noticed the same thing. I was going 70 in a 60, so I didn't mind and just stepped on the accelerator once I was comfortable that it had the turn under control.

So, autopilot behaves a little differently now. It hugs the right side of the road on two lane roads now, which is something I was always disabling it for when it was too close to the center. I haven't noticed additional nags. They seem the same.

Aside from that, and the stupid restriction, definitely doesn't appear to have "learned" anything specific.

I drive the Express lanes on the toll road and I chuckle at this all the time. This weekend, I drove down to Middleburg and Route 50 has sections where there are two speed signs posted directly on top of each other "55mph for cars, 45mph for trucks". Sadly, the Tesla latched on to the latter. No biggie, but yeah, mis-reads are common in my experience.

I'd say those situations, yours and Max*'s with the toll lanes, are only common on divided highways/interstates. They will not affect your autopilot experience since AP won't limit your speed there.

I'd say those situations, yours and Max*'s with the toll lanes, are only common on divided highways/interstates. They will not affect your autopilot experience since AP won't limit your speed there.

I wasn't saying it'll affect my AP experience, I was just saying that AP occasionally misreads signs, and I was surprised the previous poster never had AP misread a speed limit sign.

I think it turns out to be a geometry problem. My garage is considerably wider than the door opening and I can aim it at a pretty wide variety of angles. It will steer enough to to avoid hitting the garage door frame, my wife's car and the storage shelf that lines the side wall. If the attack angle is too steep, it gives up with car half way in the garage because it got too close to the shelf and decides it needs to stop. If the angle is a bit more acute, it will turn the wheel and tuck the car in at more or less the angle I'd prefer. If you accidentally aim it so that it would hit the door frame, it will recenter the car between the door frame and the other car and significantly change the approach angle.

Even though the car squawks at 12 inches and stops counting down, it appears to me that in summon, it is able to detect and react to a much thinner margin. When I manually park, I cut the wheel very sharply at the last second, so that the entire driver side ends up about 6 inches past the door frame. If I use summon to extract the car, it first straightens the wheel, then as it gets close to the door frame, it steers sharply to miss the frame and makes it out by just a few inches. I was holding the remote very tight as it approached!!

I hope this is comprehensible. I might have to make a diagram.