Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just finished a short 45 minute drive and I am disappointed with what appears to be a time base nag to hold the wheel. It appeared every 3-5 minutes on my regular commute route. I hope this goes away with a future release. The expected mis reading of speed limit signs is also present and is going to reduce the usefulness of both TACC and AutoSteer in this part of South Florida.

You never had AP misread a sign?

I have more than once. On a highway here, we have both 55mph lanes (free) and 65mph lanes (paid), but the speed limit sign can be visible from either roadway. So if I'm going 55mph, I often see AP think it's a 65mph road. (my advantage, but still misread)

Another common problem, on ONE particular road, for ONE particular sign, the speed limit is 45mph, and AP reads it as 15mph. Now, on any given day I'm usually not going more than 15mph anyways, lol, but still, that would be not in my favor.
I've never had a situation on a secondary road where the car misread a sign. I've seen it miss school speed limits and not see signs at all. I'm sure there may be some cases where the car missed a sign increasing the limit from 35 to 55, but it's certainly never happened to me.

Your example isn't really germane though is it? On highways, there is no speed limit in the AP.

The car also seems to have a pretty liberal interpretation of what a highway is too. Around here it removes the limit on AP speed on lots of roads that are not limited access. I've not used it enough so far to come up with a good model of how it decides when to limit AP speed, it's certainly not geofencing though.

I've never had a situation on a secondary road where the car misread a sign. I've seen it miss school speed limits and not see signs at all. I'm sure there may be some cases where the car missed a sign increasing the limit from 35 to 55, but it's certainly never happened to me.

Your example isn't really germane though is it? On highways, there is no speed limit in the AP.

The car also seems to have a pretty liberal interpretation of what a highway is too. Around here it removes the limit on AP speed on lots of roads that are not limited access. I've not used it enough so far to come up with a good model of how it decides when to limit AP speed, it's certainly not geofencing though.

Gotchya, and no it won't affect my AP experience (as I later commented)

I wasn't saying it'll affect my AP experience, I was just saying that AP occasionally misreads signs, and I was surprised the previous poster never had AP misread a speed limit sign.

I think it turns out to be a geometry problem. My garage is considerably wider than the door opening and I can aim it at a pretty wide variety of angles. It will steer enough to to avoid hitting the garage door frame, my wife's car and the storage shelf that lines the side wall. If the attack angle is too steep, it gives up with car half way in the garage because it got too close to the shelf and decides it needs to stop. If the angle is a bit more acute, it will turn the wheel and tuck the car in at more or less the angle I'd prefer. If you accidentally aim it so that it would hit the door frame, it will recenter the car between the door frame and the other car and significantly change the approach angle.

Even though the car squawks at 12 inches and stops counting down, it appears to me that in summon, it is able to detect and react to a much thinner margin. When I manually park, I cut the wheel very sharply at the last second, so that the entire driver side ends up about 6 inches past the door frame. If I use summon to extract the car, it first straightens the wheel, then as it gets close to the door frame, it steers sharply to miss the frame and makes it out by just a few inches. I was holding the remote very tight as it approached!!

I hope this is comprehensible. I might have to make a diagram.

Thanks.. this makes sense. If it wasn't obvious in my example diagram, I'm backing into the garage (essentially parallel parking). My garage opening is not much larger than the car (and no folding mirrors!).. perhaps a 2" gap on each side between the mirrors and garage frame. So when I'm backing in myself, I have to have it aligned pretty well in order to pull in straight into the garage. I've been doing it for a year now, so I'm pretty good at it using my rear-view mirrors. I'd say at the apex of backing in, the car is at a 45 degree angle to the garage before straightening out and pulling in.

If you keep your hands resting on the wheel at all times are you still get the nag every 5 minutes? If so do you have to jiggle the wheel like the person upthread said?
Many of us don't "do" things to the wheel while "holding" it. There's no actual touch sensor, it's more of a tug it seems to want to read your "presence".

My car with 7.1 has apparently gone offline.. App tries to wake the car even though it's "always connected". Nothing happens. I wonder how long I should wait before I go see if it's still alive.
Hmm this might be a bug, as I couldn't connect to my car (iOS or Android app) after taking a a short drive and parking back at home where car should have home WiFi connection...

Just finished a short 45 minute drive and I am disappointed with what appears to be a time base nag to hold the wheel. It appeared every 3-5 minutes on my regular commute route. I hope this goes away with a future release. The expected mis reading of speed limit signs is also present and is going to reduce the usefulness of both TACC and AutoSteer in this part of South Florida.
Ruh-row. That's #2 in FL, could it possibly be only in Florida for some reason ???

I have pretty much read this whole thread today but I don't remember anyone asking why this was not the big revamp of the UI that Musk said was coming in 7.1? ... I agree with many here that Summon in this initial incarnation is not overly helpful and more of a novelty. I love AP but would give up more improvements to that if we'd get the UI overhaul we were promised. Things like dropping the audio select button is taking us backwards, not forwards in this manner.
Geez, I finally figure out what that button is for, and now it's gone... sigh.

There's no doubt this was a timed release of a gimmick that will fill the media and YouTube with Tesla Tesla Tesla. Nav waypoints, more and better voice commands, and media player improvements don't get 6 o'clock news headlines.

From your lips to Elon's ears.
Yes, the impromptu press call today makes me think that they prioritized a marketing stunt over the expressed wishes of their paying customers.
Once again we're getting things on the bleeding edge with limited use instead of Tesla fixing bugs that many hear complain about.
UI isn't fixed. Nav isn't fixed. Media app got worse, not better. No Spotify for the US.
But UHHHHHH, SHINY!!!! I can summon the car. Which is something that most likely fewer than 1% of their user base will use on even a semi regular basis (if ever). Half the cars have no AP hardware. Most cars are plugged into the charger when in the garage.

ARGL. This is so painfully frustrating. All this potential. But it doesn't matter what the cattle, err, I mean, the existing customers want. What matters is things that Elon can talk about in front of the press.
Hmm, well Canadians don't even get the shiny new thing this time...

Wow I can't believe I upgraded after only a quick view of this thread... if there were more than 2 or 3 members (mostly in Florida ??) finding the 5 minute steering wheel tug nag, I'd likely have held back. I love the car but I really don't like seeing stuff disappear.

160+ entries in the tracker, that's the most we've had for any 7.x version except the first 7.0 release (and we're only two days into the cycle - 7.0 rolled out over about four days).
Reports from 14 countries - noticeable omissions are Japan/China/HK.
So far Model S only (but of course the Model X sample size is still tiny - on Model S we get between 0.1 and 1% of reports... with a few hundred Model X delivered that means we don't know if there are an Model X on 7.1)
All configurations of Model S (ok, no report from a 40, but again, tiny sample size)
All VIN ranges
Cool stuff. Please keep reporting in the tracker when you get a firmware upgrade!

I downloaded this afternoon (PA location, Vin 91XXX, 70D with AP, never had an update after 7.0) and I took it right out on an errand before trying Summon. Here are my impressions so far:

1. AP was only engaged for a short period of time, but tried it on a "residential" road and got the warning about it being speed restricted. On highway I did not notice much difference but was only on the highway for a couple of miles.
2. Used the perpendicular parking in a shopping center and it was fantastic. I have never seen the parallel park icon appear before (even in downtown Philly or NYC) so I was not sure what to expect. I tried it twice, the first time with plenty of room for the car to not have to adjust forward a few feet to straighten it out, and the second time closer to the cars I was parking between so it did need to go into "drive" for a few feet. It parked it much better than I have been doing since the guidelines on my back-up camera have never worked too well for me in terms of ensuring a straight park job. I was blown away by the usefulness of this feature.
3. Homelink worked great in opening the garage door as I hit my driveway, just about where it always dropped down the menu before. Of course, if the door is already open it does not know this and will close the already opened door, but the override is right where the Homelink drop down menu was so just tap that to stop if from closing.
4. Summon: seemed to work well, but as others have reported, on the way in it did not park me straight. My wife's SUV was on the right but I could not figure out how/why it ended up skewing the car to the left once it entered the garage. Not a really problem, but strange. On the back out of the garage it ended up stopping in plenty of time before it drove off my driveway into the neighbor's yard. My first impression is this is a nice feature down the road a few releases. I also did not have a problem with the driveway lip stopping the car on either axle on pull in or back out. I have to admit I was in the car for these tests...I am still jittery about doing it from outside the car although the FOB works well to stop the process on pressing it.
5. None of the UI overhaul I was hoping for. The outside temp and clock are now on my dash which others said happened in 7.0x releases, but just happened for me this download. I really want Spotify and some other navigation that actually works. I love that they use the Google addresses but hate that TM did their own navigation...as others have reported, it's a mess. Also wanted the media app to be much much better, but no matter none of that is done in this release.

Overall I'm once again amazed that I have a "new car" in some respects today, and I'm already looking forward to the next release.

Anyone in Nevada get 7.1? Does summon work? I have a hunch that it wont...
Because of the Solar City thing, or ... ? Tesla is not that petty, and they do have the gigafactory here. Nevada has been pretty friendly to Tesla and autonomous driving.

Still waiting for 7.1 here. The current version of Summon sounds pretty useless to me, but I expect it will be part of the update.

Thanks.. this makes sense. If it wasn't obvious in my example diagram, I'm backing into the garage (essentially parallel parking). My garage opening is not much larger than the car (and no folding mirrors!).. perhaps a 2" gap on each side between the mirrors and garage frame. So when I'm backing in myself, I have to have it aligned pretty well in order to pull in straight into the garage. I've been doing it for a year now, so I'm pretty good at it using my rear-view mirrors. I'd say at the apex of backing in, the car is at a 45 degree angle to the garage before straightening out and pulling in.

Yeah, that is pretty much my optimal way to park as well. The car won't do that, but I can simulate it by aiming the car's rear at the opening at about a 30 degree angle. It doesn't swing as sharp as I do, so the car ends up with the back in the right spot, but the front too far in the middle, but that is close enough to be useable. Ultimately, it's probably just sort of a gimmick that I won't use often at home, to be honest.

Summon causes the next global outcry

Ok so... how long until this

2016-01-11-summon-kitteh.jpg

Thx to MarkS22's thread and video for the source... and to internet kitteh for the kitteh

No kitteh was harmed.

Tried summon again to get the car to back up to me in an empty parking lot. Moved about 10 feet then stopped: "Summon has aborted"

- - - Updated - - -

Ok so... how long until this

Thx to MarkS22's thread and video for the source... and to internet kitteh for the kitteh

No kitteh was harmed.

Ultrasonics should detect the cat. Better at detect soft objects than hard ones, from what I hear.