Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bethesda Supercharger - don't bother

I think there is a nag. Just spend 30 minutes testing this.

Interstate road, 12-lanes divided (6 each direction), every 3 minutes for 12 minutes (i.e. 4 times) then I got off. Exactly at the 3minute mark.
Local road, 6 lanes (3 each direction, grass divider, though the car thought it was an undivided highway and restricted AP), every 1minute for 4 minutes (i.e. 4 times).
Then I held the wheel for about 5minutes, and still on the local road it let me drive for 2 minutes, then nagged, and then back down to 1 minute. I think it might be giving me leeway if it sees me holding the wheel.

Up until this evening I was in the "nah, there's no nag" category, but I think there is, as it's repetitive (in whole minute intervals), and I also think the nag is different on different types of roads.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll grab some photos later if no one did yet. It's pretty good (haven't seen bikes yet, it's cold out now) with cars and trucks. It can now show up to 2 (or at least's that's what I've seen) cars per lane, so I've had 5 cars on my screen at the same time.

The issue is that only detects the cars in neighboring lanes that are about 1 cars length ahead of you (I guess the camera isn't wide enough), so it never shows cars parallel to your car.

- - - Updated - - -

I have no problem stopping if I need it, but it's so close to home (Fairfax) that I don't see a point of ever going.

FTR, I've never actually been to Bethesda supercharger. Might need to visit it before they move it.

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen trucks, no motorcycles yet (it's cold). Trucks are hit or miss, I've had trucks convert into cars, lol.

I tried the Bethesda Supercharger once (early am so no wait) and it only produced 60mi per hour so I left after 10 min. eVgo Chademo is better - 130mi per hour. I use that when I have to make multiple daily trips in the DC Metro area, like Olney to Herndon to Baltimore... So, I'm all for them moving it; upgrade to newer units and get it out of the mall garage, and increase the number of chargers..

I think the new BMW 7 series advertises some sort of ability to pull in and out of a garage autonomously but I'm not sure to what extent (if any) that works in perpendicular parking.
Looking at the BMW magazine I got here in more detail, it seems the car is not really autonomously doing that . the driver has to keep holding the key fob and potentially do something to move the car. I should really go down the road to the BMW dealership.

It seems to be the opposite for the one I visit. I usually like going Five Guys because the wait is short as in I just walk up to the counter to order or I have to wait for person in front of me to order and I'm next.

I should have worded better. I actually like FG very much. There is about one in each major city in NC. Smashburger I've never eaten at, but hear good things. In Florida, there are plenty of FGs. No need to travel far to get to them where I visit vs. only the one in Charlotte.

I should have worded better. I actually like FG very much. There is about one in each major city in NC. Smashburger I've never eaten at, but hear good things. In Florida, there are plenty of FGs. No need to travel far to get to them where I visit vs. only the one in Charlotte.
if you ever looked at the extremely high calorie counts of 5guys burgers you might stop eating there

One thing I haven't seen yet is on the IC: while it's now showing multiple cars, it has yet to show me a truck icon or motorcycle like it shows in the manual (or was it a press release pic?)
IMG_4981 (1).jpg
IMG_4980.jpg

I love Five Guy's fries, but I don't think their burgers are all that. Shake shack on the other hand... I don't know what's in those burgers - it may be crack - they are great.

Alas, I can't eat any of them anymore since I gave up beef after watching racing extinction.

Last edited:
I love Five Guy's fries, but I don't think their burgers are all that. Shake shack on the other hand... I don't know what's in those burgers - it may be crack - they are great.

If I'm picking up food I usually stuff it in the foot well to contain the smell but I can't help but to snag a few Five Guy's fries on my way home...so so good. Don't think we have Shake Shack around here but I'll be on the lookout.

Objective and negative

Hey, I'm German by birth, complaining is our national past time.

That said... there are plenty of people here who will relentlessly cheer every word Elon says, any thing Elon does, every change Tesla pushes to our cars. I feel that someone needs to occasionally speak up and try to balance things a bit more. And while I agree that the release notes list a ton of improvements for AP cars, I'd say that for non-AP cars (still about half the installed base) the pickings are slim. Driver door only opening. Spotify (Europe only). Other than that... not much comes to mind.
People get very excited about the shiny stuff. Which is why Tesla is focusing on that (and the fact that MB is pushing ahead with their version of autopilot and will have something competitive later this year certainly makes it reasonable for Tesla to continue to push). I just wish they wouldn't completely ignore the long list of issues that have been reported for a long time (and some of which Elon acknowledged and promised fixes for in 7.1 which AFAIK haven't materialized.

So that's why I'm maybe not quite as positive as apparently some people believe is required...

Hey, should I add a standard disclaimer to my signature? Instead of the usual "this post is copytighted... bla bla bla" I could write something like "even if my post may sound like I am not 100% excited 100% of the time, I still love my car and own TSLA shares"?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, that would be a big step in the right direction... let's keep hoping. Maybe in 9.4?
Oh wait, was that too negative again? Ok. Maybe in 8.3?

Each time I'm trying to make a constructive criticism in this forum, there is someone to tell I'm negative or I don't know what I'm talking about. Welcome to the club!

Anyone having a problem with the Homelink auto open/close?

Prior my homelink would pop up when I got to a certain radius of the garage so I thought this would be seamless upgrade.

After the update, I went into the homelink screen and enable auto open and close
But I don't get the radius notification nor the skip indications at all.

I deleted my old homelink setting and relearned the remote but still doesn't work.
Any ideas?
For some reason on my first trip with 7.1 automatic Homelink didn't work as expected. I thought it wasn't working. On my next trip, it worked, and has worked since. Go figure.

Hate to disrupt the seafood freshness and burger joint review thread...

We now surpassed 200 reports of 7.1 installed after three days which means that this is second only to the original 7.0 rollout that got about 250 in 4 days. So my WAG is that this is a "full roll-out" of the next release, as far as Tesla is concerned. This of course doesn't help the people who didn't get it, yet, but last time I think we had more or less complete coverage after about a week, so it shouldn't be too long. Certainly there is no sign that Tesla has stopped the roll-out.

At this point all variations of Model S have received updates. All battery sizes, all combinations of RWD/FWD, etc.

No Model X has received 7.1 (and over in the Model X 7.1 thread one of the owners reports being told that they are going to try sort out some of the existing problems with the Model X code base, first, before moving them to 7.1). Interestingly enough the latest 7.0 build for Model X has build # 2.10.10 - so a higher second number than all the 7.1 builds for Model S.

We have the first report from HK of a 7.1 install, nothing from China or Japan, yet, but my guess is that may also be because we have very very few Chinese and Japanese owners reading along here...

Here are two pictures of the new graphics with the lanes on the right and left of the one your car is in. Sorry for the blurry pics, I need a better camera than my IPhone... I've finally decided what to name my car. From now on she is "Christine", from the Stephen King novel.

ap 71 graphic.JPG
ap 71 truck.JPG

Last edited:
Has anyone had a problem with voice entry for navigation on this release? It has worked for me in the past but trying a couple dozen times this morning the system would not recognize speech at all. My test was in an area of reasonable LTE coverage.

Worked fine for me yesterday. With a difficult street name, even.

- - - Updated - - -

Oooh... I'm assuming that's "gave up"... if so I may just delete Racing Extinction from my DVR instead of watching it.... I have a brew day coming up...

I'm also assuming that was supposed to be "beef", not "beer", since 5guys doesn't serve beer. So no worries about your brew day.

Hate to disrupt the seafood freshness and burger joint review thread...

We now surpassed 200 reports of 7.1 installed after three days which means that this is second only to the original 7.0 rollout that got about 250 in 4 days. So my WAG is that this is a "full roll-out" of the next release, as far as Tesla is concerned. This of course doesn't help the people who didn't get it, yet, but last time I think we had more or less complete coverage after about a week, so it shouldn't be too long. Certainly there is no sign that Tesla has stopped the roll-out.

At this point all variations of Model S have received updates. All battery sizes, all combinations of RWD/FWD, etc.

No Model X has received 7.1 (and over in the Model X 7.1 thread one of the owners reports being told that they are going to try sort out some of the existing problems with the Model X code base, first, before moving them to 7.1). Interestingly enough the latest 7.0 build for Model X has build # 2.10.10 - so a higher second number than all the 7.1 builds for Model S.

We have the first report from HK of a 7.1 install, nothing from China or Japan, yet, but my guess is that may also be because we have very very few Chinese and Japanese owners reading along here...

Thanks for the report. Is there any way to see rollout by US state or at least region? From what I'm reading most of us in CA have still not received 7.1, which is strange at best.