Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla build numbers make good sense (according to this theory at least). 7.1.2.9.172 -> 7.1 = Major version, 2 minor version, 9.172 build number -> 9.172...->9.254 -> 10.1. Last number is bit based (254 = 2^8).

Which in turn means 9.172 in theory should be build number 9*254 + 172 = 2458 of the 7.1 2.xx.xx fork. Which again means that they ar building like crazy.

Actually, 2^8=256.

- - - Updated - - -

2^8 = 256. The largest decimal number that can be represented by an 8-digit binary number is 255.

Thanks, Brec. Beat me to it!

Yeah that theory was established a while back when late 6.2 versions went from 2.4.253 to 2.5.21, while we were waiting for AutoPilot to launch with 7.0 - but I doubt they hit 256 versions of one dot-release before incrementing the second dot.

For example, they went as far as 2.5.85 on the 6.2 branch, then went immediately to 2.7.40 for the first version of the 7.0 major release. So you can't use the 9*254 + 172 = 2458 calculation to figure out how many builds they've compiled since 2.0 started.

Tesla build numbers make good sense (according to this theory at least). 7.1.2.9.172 -> 7.1 = Major version, 2 minor version, 9.172 build number -> 9.172...->9.254 -> 10.1. Last number is bit based (254 = 2^8).

Which in turn means 9.172 in theory should be build number 9*254 + 172 = 2458 of the 7.1 2.xx.xx fork. Which again means that they ar building like crazy.

That's completely made up and not supported by data. They had 2.10.x versions of 7.0 for Model X and 2.9.x versions of 7.1 for Model S.

Additionally, no complex software product has monotonous build numbers. That's just not how branching in source code control systems works.

2^8 = 256. The largest decimal number that can be represented by an 8-digit binary number is 255.

My bad, quick typo and embarrasing math error...:crying:

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah that theory was established a while back when late 6.2 versions went from 2.4.253 to 2.5.21, while we were waiting for AutoPilot to launch with 7.0 - but I doubt they hit 256 versions of one dot-release before incrementing the second dot.

For example, they went as far as 2.5.85 on the 6.2 branch, then went immediately to 2.7.40 for the first version of the 7.0 major release. So you can't use the 9*254 + 172 = 2458 calculation to figure out how many builds they've compiled since 2.0 started.

I know I can't say for a fact that that is the exact number of builds. But then again you would imagine they have quite a number of builds that aren't released still. The number of builds I guess will be wrong, but the numbering scheme I'd recon is somewhat like I and others before me have proposed.

- - - Updated - - -

That's completely made up and not supported by data. They had 2.10.x versions of 7.0 for Model X and 2.9.x versions of 7.1 for Model S.

Additionally, no complex software product has monotonous build numbers. That's just not how branching in source code control systems works.

What is made up and unsupported? The bit based theory (that seems to hold water, they never so far have released something higher than .253 I guess). The other part - made up, agreed, but still makes much sense. I don't claim they always go to .255 in a build branch, but they certainly never exceed that number.

My car is at the service center and was upgraded to 2.10.56 yesterday (yes, firmware tracker has been updated :biggrin:)

However I did see a notification that the update failed, then another notification that an update was available 15 minutes later. Nothing else since. VisibleTesla and TeslaLog.com both show 2.10.56 is the current version. Should I be concerned?

IMG_0009.jpg

My car is at the service center and was upgraded to 2.10.56 yesterday (yes, firmware tracker has been updated :biggrin:)

However I did see a notification that the update failed, then another notification that an update was available 15 minutes later. Nothing else since. VisibleTesla and TeslaLog.com both show 2.10.56 is the current version. Should I be concerned?

I don't think you need to be concerned.

The update may have failed for some reason, so the tech may have sent it to your car again, which I imagine could take about 15 minutes with whatever cabled connection they might have (as opposed to having to get the data via OTA.) Presumably shortly after 4:45 the tech allowed the car to actually process the firmware update, and it completed successfully that time. You may not have received the notification of the successful update for any number of reasons, if that's what has you concerned.

I don't think you need to be concerned.

The update may have failed for some reason, so the tech may have sent it to your car again, which I imagine could take about 15 minutes with whatever cabled connection they might have (as opposed to having to get the data via OTA.) Presumably shortly after 4:45 the tech allowed the car to actually process the firmware update, and it completed successfully that time. You may not have received the notification of the successful update for any number of reasons, if that's what has you concerned.

Thanks, I'll just be sure to check everything (especially AP functions) before I pick it up later today. With the long service center wait times these days, who knows when will be the next time I'll be able to get them to take a look at it again..

UPDATE: my super-awesome service advisor quickly replied to my request with the following email:

[FONT=&quot]I checked with the technician and when he was updating the firmware yesterday, there was an early failure in the downloading which can happen from time to time. That is why you see two attempts. The second time, it downloaded properly. I have verified on the vehicle that it has downloaded properly.[/FONT]

anyone having any problems with their Calendar app?

I have it set to shot the calendar in the morning and it was working before...but has since stopped. However, if I change the settings to either evening or all the time it works..just not morning.

Any ideas?

anyone having any problems with their Calendar app?

I have it set to shot the calendar in the morning and it was working before...but has since stopped. However, if I change the settings to either evening or all the time it works..just not morning.

Any ideas?
I have mine set to "all the time" and it continues to work well for me. Maybe you just need to change your setting if "morning only" has been broken? I can't really think of a lot more a user can try except to reboot and pray like we did for so many years with Windows. ;)

I'm having nothing but trouble with 7.1. Tesla installed the latest firmware yesterday on my car and the radio is totally broken. The mute button doesn't work at all and every time I start the car I have to re-select the FM radio station I listen to. Also, this morning it took 2 minutes for the car to power up. When I first powered up this morning the volume control did not work at all. The numbers would change on the screen but the volume level didn't change. I have reset the center console several times. That fixed the volume issue, but not the mute issue.

Also, my car has a lot of problems connecting to my Android phone now with Bluetooth.

Note that my car is one of the early models with a fairly low VIN.

I also don't like the new layout since 7.0 on the dash screen.

I've been noticing a lot of "false" positives with the parallel parking feature in 7.1. What I mean is that the parking symbol gets displayed on the IC even though there is not a valid parallel parking spot. This is easy to overlook because it happens in spots where I am not even thinking of parking. I was just startled to look down at the IC and see the indicator when it clearly did not apply.
Examples:
  1. Stopping at a traffic light next to the curb on the right. Parking indication to my right. No cars to my right and I am actually close enough to the curb to be parked if it were legal.
  2. Stopping at a traffic light in a left turn lane on a street with a center divider. Parking indication to my left. No cars to my left and again close enough to the curb to be parked, if it were legal.
  3. Stopping in traffic next to cars parked on right. Parking indication to my right. As best I could tell from the side mirror, the gap between cars was too small for a subcompact, let alone a Tesla.
When I'm quick enough to remember, I have been submitting bug reports from the car as these occur. And no, I did not try to engage autopark to investigate what would happen next. :wink:

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Easy to miss because you are not trying to park.