Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the first time I'm going to do this on a forum and is not meant to be disrespectful in any way... Can we please take this back to discussion of relevant 7.1 firmware issues, features, etc.?

I'm a geek just like the rest and love to read hacking/reverse engineering info, but I'm more concerned with issues that others are having and how to solve it (dual charger issue, navigation and the like).

Ok.. not 'that' computer savvy. But, just wondering here that if a software engineer put a line of code in to temporarily hold a place for a 3 digit vs 2 digit identifier (such as 100 vs 90 or 85), it may be possible that the 100 is just an arbitrary number. The fact that it was not removed would not surprise me as most software contains junk code that is no longer utilized and cumbersome to remove.

So I'm guessing it's going to be 140kW.

This is the first time I'm going to do this on a forum and is not meant to be disrespectful in any way... Can we please take this back to discussion of relevant 7.1 firmware issues, features, etc.?

I'm a geek just like the rest and love to read hacking/reverse engineering info, but I'm more concerned with issues that others are having and how to solve it (dual charger issue, navigation and the like).

I probably should have started a new thread starting with this post, admittedly. If I a mod would be gracious enough to carve this conversation out to a new thread, preferably starting there, that would be great. Otherwise I'll just start a new thread soon now that I've slept on it and conferred with my attorney.

I'm on 2.13.77 on both the S and the X, with summon enabled and the constant touch disabled (I prefer to use the key fob rather than the app). Unless I'm missing something, I can still enable summon on the S with the fob, but it does not work on the X. I also miss the unlock with the double press of the button on the gear selector (it now activates summon/park).

Anyone here with an X successfully using summon with the fob on 2.13.77?

Can we PLEASE make this a thread about "Firmware 7.1" ?
I know, this is asking a lot, but seriously. There are plenty of other threads around to discuss wk057 and his relationship with technology and with Tesla.

I went ahead and reported my own initial post on the topic to the mods in the hopes that they'll be able to carve this discussion to a new thread. Apologies for the derail. :(

3. There seems to be new text in the AutoSteer restriction: where it used to say "Autosteer is restriction on this road <Return> Speed will be limited" it now calls out the actual speed it will be limited to. For example, if the speed limit is 35 mph and the road is classified as restriction, it will say "Autosteer is restricted to 40 mph" (which is 5 over the limit).

The car I drove had this same message. I found it to be useful and informative. Usually, I would turn off AP features and drive myself on such roads before the notice had a chance to come up or as soon as I noticed this message, but once I got used to it, I learned I could just readjust my speed to match the restriction if I chose to, and the usual holding of the wheel firmly let me naturally make my own driving choices and naturally let AP disengage as I drove differently. Occasionally, a road would pop up with this restriction which ended up having quite a safe travel distance with the above behavior with the car in charge, such as many highways without many obstacles (technically, low-ways since the valleys have the smoothest earth to put highways in).

Eventually, this message trained me to not even bother with most AP features unless I was on actual freeways, and in those conditions, AP made driving generally easier, as I could be somewhat more sloppy when there were no obstacles and the car would just do its thing with my hands on the wheel. Of course, the normal AP concerns would come up when obstacles got near, and I would turn my full attention to driving for the moments needed.

Ending (merging) and beginning (multiple choices) lanes never did work well while I was using AP (at least to my confidence level), and exits and entrances also did not work well; the merge software hasn't been written, probably because the car doesn't have enough hardware to be able to merge.

I generally would disengage the AP features once I entered highways, for safety, since I didn't want the car to suddenly make me have a head-on collision, except for the adaptive distance control which I generally liked in far more conditions than the adaptive steer control. (I always kept it at distance 7.) This eventually made me long for the freeways, and I would be happy when the highways turned back into freeways and I could go full AP again.

Last edited:
I jumped from 2.10.71 to 2.13.77 and the auto-brightness no longer keeps turning the night-mode brightness all the way down to zero during twilight. If you unchecked the box in a previous release, you might want to try it out again

The car I drove had this same message. I found it to be useful and informative. Usually, I would turn off AP features and drive myself on such roads before the notice had a chance to come up or as soon as I noticed this message, but once I got used to it, I learned I could just readjust my speed to match the restriction if I chose to, and the usual holding of the wheel firmly let me naturally make my own driving choices and naturally let AP disengage as I drove differently. Occasionally, a road would pop up with this restriction which ended up having quite a safe travel distance with the above behavior with the car in charge, such as many highways (technically, low-ways since the valleys have the smoothest earth to put highways in).

Eventually, this message trained me to not even bother with most AP features unless I was on actual freeways, and in those conditions, AP made driving generally easier, as I could be somewhat more sloppy when there were no obstacles and the car would just do its thing with my hands on the wheel. Of course, the normal AP concerns would come up when obstacles got near, and I would turn my full attention to driving for the moments needed.

Ending (merging) and beginning (multiple choices) lanes never did work well while I was using AP (at least to my confidence level), and exits and entrances also did not work well; the merge software hasn't been written, probably because the car doesn't have enough hardware to be able to merge.

I generally would disengage the AP features once I entered highways again, for safety, since I didn't want the car to suddenly make me have a head-on collision, except for the adaptive distance control which I generally liked in far more conditions than the adaptive steer control. (I always kept it at distance 7.) This eventually made me long for the freeways, and I would be happy when the highways turned back into freeways and I could go full AP again.

Excellent post. You have observational skills and "first principle thinking" way above average, kind of like Elon.

I haven't been on WiFi since early this morning but got the notification late tonight that I now have the latest maps (first ever in over 14 months of ownership!)

So it seems as though the download occurred over WiFi last night (I highly doubt the 2.12.126 firmware is over 3 GB...) but it took a while to install.

View attachment 112936

What if the feature to update maps was installed with the new firmware, and the maps themselves were updated later with a different update, and you're just now seeing the new feature active for the first time? Just one possibility. But I really like the coolness of the idea of a big update growing out of its seed pod into a full adult program, so I actually prefer your version.

A moot issue at this point, but I got to an 80 amp HPWC today to test my car with 2.12.45. At 60 amps and 80 amps selected, the car sits at 30 amps or 40 amps for about 10-15 seconds and the continues its ramp up. I believe wk had said that was the firmware that includes charging differences, just most people jumped over that to 2.12.126. Hopefully that means I won't have the problem once I accept the pending install.

It's probably to align it with the blue used on all the other nav interfaces. though if I were to ask to change something about that screen, the colour of the arrow wouldn't have even made the list!

Maybe they got colorblindness data and decided it was a safer color to use for a higher percentage of the population, requiring fewer exceptions to be made for those with different color profiles in their eyes. There are a larger number of people who cannot see the differences between the earlier part of the rainbow, such as the difference between orange and yellow or orange and green, so that graphic might be hard to see for them, whereas the blue line would be clearly visible to them.