Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the tracker, it appears a lot of people are still on 2.12.126 (including myself). 2.14.17 seems to have had a fairly wide rollout yesterday. I haven't received an OTA update since well before 2.12.126 (which I received at the SC) and I am starting to wonder if I have an update issue. Are there any telltale signs that downloads have been attempted and failed as opposed to just note receiving the update?

According to the tracker, it appears a lot of people are still on 2.12.126 (including myself). 2.14.17 seems to have had a fairly wide rollout yesterday. I haven't received an OTA update since well before 2.12.126 (which I received at the SC) and I am starting to wonder if I have an update issue. Are there any telltale signs that downloads have been attempted and failed as opposed to just note receiving the update?

I wouldn't worry about it. Most rollouts tend to take weeks - months to get to all cars (if not replaced by a different rollout before they are finished). It is rare for a rollout to go to all cars in under a month (though it has happened twice in my ownership).

Yeah, it's not like there appear to be any significant changes in the recent updates, other than the dual-charger bug which doesn't impact me. I just checked the tracker. My last OTA update was 30 Jan -- not as long ago as it seems.
It seems that the inflation of middle digits is not correlated to actual progress (or even noticeable changes) on the firmware itself. And after 18 reports on pi day it seems we are not really seeing a push for 2.14.17, either. Yet more beta testing (with production cars) it seems.

Do you always get notified when an update happens, or are you just checking often? I just got my Model S on Saturday, and I could swear that the version changed, but I do not recall seeing any notification.
If you have the Tesla app installed on your phone, and notifications are enabled in the app (default), you will get a notification on the phone when new software has been found and is waiting to be installed.

Do you always get notified when an update happens, or are you just checking often? I just got my Model S on Saturday, and I could swear that the version changed, but I do not recall seeing any notification.

I have always seen an update notification on the 17" screen requesting that I approve the update before it installs. For me notification in the IOS app has been hit or miss, usually miss. But I am probably unusual in not leaving the phone on 24x7, so it appears the phone app can miss a notification if it is not active at the time the server sends it out. Even if your phone is on 24x7, that could happen if you are in a place with weak or no signal when the server sends the notification.

However, since it sounds like you have just picked up the car recently, it is possible that the service center had scheduled a new version to install for you but it hadn't installed yet when you picked up the car, and likely installed the following night. Seems unusual but possible if the SC was very busy on the day you picked up your car.

Got firmware 7.1 - 2.14.50 Today. minur update took approx 10 minutes to install. Probably bugfixes.
Have updated tracker
Thanks for doing that. The wheel of firmware releases continues to spin rather fast. In the last six days we have seen reports for six different builds: 2.13.{77,103,120,170} and 2.14.{17,50}
(well, technically we also had a 2.12.126 report but that came so long after the bulk of them that I assume that there may be a data entry error or some other delay)

Thanks for doing that. The wheel of firmware releases continues to spin rather fast. In the last six days we have seen reports for six different builds: 2.13.{77,103,120,170} and 2.14.{17,50}
(well, technically we also had a 2.12.126 report but that came so long after the bulk of them that I assume that there may be a data entry error or some other delay)
Any idea why this is possibly happening? I don't remember seeing anything like this before with this many builds.

Any idea why this is possibly happening? I don't remember seeing anything like this before with this many builds.
No one here will know for sure. I personally suspect the ramp-up is because they have M3 coming into the fray; and who knows, perhaps they are doing some code reorganization or better yet -- fixes and updates to non-AutoPilot code to catch-up on what has been stalled for so long -- before the onslaught of volume M3 becomes a reality. (IMHO, fixing a lot of the detail now will prevent a lot of SC impact later, and better position for sales to the even more-critical masses M3 is targeted at.)

No one here will know for sure. I personally suspect the ramp-up is because they have M3 coming into the fray; and who knows, perhaps they are doing some code reorganization or better yet -- fixes and updates to non-AutoPilot code to catch-up on what has been stalled for so long -- before the onslaught of volume M3 becomes a reality. (IMHO, fixing a lot of the detail now will prevent a lot of SC impact later, and better position for sales to the even more-critical masses M3 is targeted at.)

It would be feasible if we substitute Model X for Model 3 above, you could be correct. They were doing lots of short-lived custom builds for the X as the customer-owned fleet got larger and they may be consolidating the fixes + better organizing the code to handle the variations. Just conjecture on my part though.