Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Skotty -- so you bought a car? I thought you were still waiting for a CPO in your price range. Congrats!

(I may have a bad memory, sorry).
Yes, P41819, if you are curious to look back at it's history. I've already made a few posts on it here and there. Really loving it so far. Picked it up on 3/18.

Please disregard if this was noticed recently.

One major change I noticed in 2.15.16 is the change in tones when turning on AP and it rejects the request.

Before, the tones were the same as AP being dropped or overridden. Now the tones are the same as pressing both pedals at the same time.

It is a major improvement to be warned with error tones that AP did NOT engage at the drivers command.

Please disregard if this was noticed recently.

One major change I noticed in 2.15.16 is the change in tones when turning on AP and it rejects the request.

Before, the tones were the same as AP being dropped or overridden. Now the tones are the same as pressing both pedals at the same time.

It is a major improvement to be warned with error tones that AP did NOT engage at the drivers command.
This is great news! Now I won't let go of the steering wheel while AP isn't engaged.
But the both pedals pressed tone is pretty startling, even for my passengers. I hope this doesn't scare em too much.

For what it's worth, I updated to 2.14.105 this am and in addition to the alert when auto steering is unavailable, my radio station presets now change quickly when selected. Also, my volume controls are very responsive now. Before it would take 5-6 seconds when changing between the XM presets, and even longer for song/artist info to appear. Also, when I changed the volume, it would trail by a second or two, so I would often overshoot the volume I was trying for. For example, I could turn the volume wheel on the steering wheel and nothing would happen for a second or two, so I'd turn it more, and eventually it would register both inputs and either blow our eardrums out or mute all sound, depending on which direction I was going with it. Both issues appear to be fixed, although I haven't heard of this as a widespread problem. Maybe it was only mine, and the simple act of reloading any firmware would have fixed it.... I'm grateful in any event.

Ugh, another update and yet no ACTUAL release notes.

I can't think of any other software/firmware that does this. They at least tell you that some bugs have been fixed or that it's a security update. But, no one else re-uses release notes.

Does it have the pending super-charger safety update? I don't know.
Does it actually update anything? I don't know.

I think we can safely assume the interim build updates are bug fixes to the original 7.1 release and to prior interim build releases which introduced new bugs not in the original 7.1 release.

Silence means nothing to brag about and "bug fixes" doesn't sound good to the Tesla marketing/PR staff. If there were any significant improvements there would be a press release and a tweet or two.

Reactions: Andyw2100
For what it's worth, I updated to 2.14.105 this am and in addition to the alert when auto steering is unavailable, my radio station presets now change quickly when selected. Also, my volume controls are very responsive now. Before it would take 5-6 seconds when changing between the XM presets, and even longer for song/artist info to appear. Also, when I changed the volume, it would trail by a second or two, so I would often overshoot the volume I was trying for. For example, I could turn the volume wheel on the steering wheel and nothing would happen for a second or two, so I'd turn it more, and eventually it would register both inputs and either blow our eardrums out or mute all sound, depending on which direction I was going with it. Both issues appear to be fixed, although I haven't heard of this as a widespread problem. Maybe it was only mine, and the simple act of reloading any firmware would have fixed it.... I'm grateful in any event.

Glad to hear this, have had the same problems also. Scroll the wheel and nothing happens for a few clicks/seconds as well so on volume, etc. Changes are slow, etc. I also noticed the slow delay in right scroll wheel also, use it for temperature and sometimes have to scroll it a few times before it starts to move 1 degree. Hope this does fill those lags - have just dealt with them really up to this point.

Ugh, another update and yet no ACTUAL release notes.

I can't think of any other software/firmware that does this. They at least tell you that some bugs have been fixed or that it's a security update. But, no one else re-uses release notes.

Does it have the pending super-charger safety update? I don't know.
Does it actually update anything? I don't know.
Google and a few apps (off the top of my head, Waze, Weather Underground, Android Wear, and Instagram) do this all the time. They push an update to an application but the release notes are the same from the last major update that they had. It would be nice if they detailed the little things of what they changed though, even if they are just performance and speed improvements.

The only thing I've noticed with 2.14.105 is that if I double press the parking button (to activate summon) it turns on the Emergency Flashers/hazard lights. Which is rather annoying so I guess I won't use that function anymore. It was nice while it lasted though. I used it on a daily basis to pull the rest of the way into the garage (it's a really tight fit length wise).

They probably had some complaints of people who accidently enabled it, and didn't realize it was enabled. So the update is really to further idiot proof it.

I wish they would have release notes BEFORE acknowledging to update.

Had a problem with Summons over the weekend.

2016 85D with AP, v7.1 (2.12.126)

I decided to calibrate Summons to park the 85D in my garage. Setting Bumper clearance to 16", side clearance to Tight, Distance at 20 ft, No to require Continuous Press and On for Homelink and using the key fob to control Summons I got the 85D to park at the preferred final position, leaving clearance on left wall for me to exit comfortably, 6" in front to refrigerator, ~18" rear to allow access to trunk without opening garage door.

Returning to the house, I notice a series of notifications on my iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.3) from the Tesla app - Summons Started, Summons Aborted, several times. Expected that since I was calibrating. Also checked the Tesla app and noticed that Summon button showing in place of Vent Roof (since I left the Tesla unplugged).

10 minutes later I noticed another series of Summon Started/Summons Aborted notifications on my iPhone. Huh?

Retruned to garage and noticed the Tesla has moved forward - straight into refrigerator. What??? Why did it do that? And WHY DIDN'T the sensors prevented it from hitting the refrigerator?

So now I have a ding on my lower front lip, first blemish on my new Tesla :(

What happened? Did I sit on my key fob and cause that? Was it v.2.12.126? Or could it be the app interaction with the buggy new iOS 9.3?

If only I had kept my Tesla plugged in the garage as I has always done in the past.

Pics show Normal clearance and ding on lower front lip. Normal clearance.JPG Front lip ding.JPG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Footbag