Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect that the sonic sensors might have trouble detecting anything that is "too close". They probably send out a sonic "chirp" and listen for a response. Sound traveling about one foot per millisecond (ms), a perpendicular hard surface 5 feet away would echo back in about 10 ms. So far, no problem in normal circumstances.

There might be a problem if the echo returns too quickly after the "chirp" is started, since the echo might not be heard while the sensor is still making, or recovering from making, the "chirp". The sensor might think that nothing is there, with ... not good consequences.

I do not know how the Tesla's sensors work, but they MIGHT have this "too close" problem.

Why your car moved is a different issue, perhaps the fob and the assb-est-ist?

As I posted a few weeks ago, I disabled Summon on my car because I noticed repeated butt-summons. (Fortunately failed because plugging the car in immobilizes it, yet another reason to always plug it in.) I think Tesla should make it harder to butt-summon, there were some good suggestions in that earlier thread.

Got my car back from the SC with 2.15.16, which has as expected (or already mentioned) no new release notes.

Beyond the change to AutoPilot engagement tone when AutoSteer is not available, and the potential volume knob and media improvements, I noticed that TACC is smoother than before - both when slowing down and accelerating back up in traffic. It's less brutal than it used to be using the "1" setting (closest distance possible). Will test some more with other settings and report back.

Reactions: msnow and Andyw2100
I noticed that TACC is smoother than before - both when slowing down and accelerating back up in traffic. It's less brutal than it used to be using the "1" setting (closest distance possible). Will test some more with other settings and report back.

As I was reading this, in my head I was already questioning the validity of this statement, and likening it to all the reports of regen being weaker every time there is a software update, etc.

But then I looked at the source, (I'm not yet used to the new icons, so it's not as automatic to associate a poster with the post as it used to be) and realized it was MarcG posting!

If MarcG (who drives a heck of a lot with TACC engaged, and is a very astute and meticulous observer) says TACC is smoother, I believe TACC is smoother! Definitely something to look forward to! Thanks, Marc!

Reactions: tezzla
Hehe thanks for the vote of confidence Andy. I've only had a chance to test it in 1 setting for a short drive, so I'll caveat my findings with this, but it definitely felt different - especially in that most aggressive setting.

By the way, there was a huge line of people waiting to put a deposit on the Model 3 outside of the Burlingame store/service center as of 8am. I considered waiting, but gave up when I found out that they weren't even going to start taking deposits until 10am (even for existing owners).

With 3 reservation stations going in parallel at Fashion Island in Southern California, they processed 30 people in the first 20 minutes, or about 2 minutes for each. In Mission Viejo, California, the line was 204 long at 9:00 am. So, I might go back there later this afternoon.

I stood in line 4 hours at the downtown Seattle store to get my reservation in. I arrived at 10:15 AM when the store opened at 10 AM.

Sorry to open the off-topic subject of Model 3 lines... let's get back on topic.

So I did test TACC for another 50 miles this afternoon, and confirmed it behaves less abruptly. This is especially noticeable at lower speeds, where it would previously rush to the car in front then slam on the brakes at seemingly the last second.

All my testing was done in Setting 1, most aggressive. I used to have to change it to 4 or higher to get less sudden behavior, but now I feel no need to change from 1.

As I posted a few weeks ago, I disabled Summon on my car because I noticed repeated butt-summons. (Fortunately failed because plugging the car in immobilizes it, yet another reason to always plug it in.) I think Tesla should make it harder to butt-summon, there were some good suggestions in that earlier thread.
Within the first week of owning my car, I accidentally opened the liftgate because the keyfob was in my pocket. It's a good thing I saw it through a window in the parking lot. I went to REI the next day and picked up a carabiner to hang the keyfob to my belt loop. Haven't had an incident since.

I suspect that the sonic sensors might have trouble detecting anything that is "too close". They probably send out a sonic "chirp" and listen for a response. Sound traveling about one foot per millisecond (ms), a perpendicular hard surface 5 feet away would echo back in about 10 ms. So far, no problem in normal circumstances.

There might be a problem if the echo returns too quickly after the "chirp" is started, since the echo might not be heard while the sensor is still making, or recovering from making, the "chirp". The sensor might think that nothing is there, with ... not good consequences.

I do not know how the Tesla's sensors work, but they MIGHT have this "too close" problem.

garygid - yes that must be it. Since the MS was already parked in final position (ie 6" away from refrigerator), any subsequent Summons command to park would mean the MS is moving forward already under the limit set (16"). So it just moved until it hit the refrigerator and stopped when it sensed a resistance (like that of going uphill or garage threshold).

jgs and curiousg - yeah having my keyfob mingled with other house keys etc in my pocket has resulted in incidents like that.

Looks like I have to always plug in my Tesla when in the garage. But then it means using Summons for leaving the house is now a non-starter (until we get the 'snake' that is).

Got my car back from the SC with 2.15.16, which has as expected (or already mentioned) no new release notes.

Beyond the change to AutoPilot engagement tone when AutoSteer is not available, and the potential volume knob and media improvements, I noticed that TACC is smoother than before - both when slowing down and accelerating back up in traffic. It's less brutal than it used to be using the "1" setting (closest distance possible). Will test some more with other settings and report back.
I'm looking forward to this improvement. I always hated how it would instantly pick up speed instead of it being gradual. The slowing down part at times made me nervous. I never use the 1 setting, hopefully this applies to other settings.

Within the first week of owning my car, I accidentally opened the liftgate because the keyfob was in my pocket. It's a good thing I saw it through a window in the parking lot. I went to REI the next day and picked up a carabiner to hang the keyfob to my belt loop. Haven't had an incident since.[/QUOTE

I had my MS85D parked in my garage. There is not a lot of space between the back of the car and the garage door. I must have hit the rear trunk button because I came out one morning and the trunk door was open. If I the car had been about 4-6 inches closer to the garage door, it trunk door would have hit the garage door and been damaged.

I have cabinets close to the front of the car so I pull it as far forward as I can without hitting the nose cone.

So when was summon via the fob disabled for the S? It never worked in the X, but it seems to have vanished on my S now as well. I really don't like using the app for this purpose; as my car backs out of the garage it typically drops the wifi connection causing the car to stop.

So when was summon via the fob disabled for the S? It never worked in the X, but it seems to have vanished on my S now as well. I really don't like using the app for this purpose; as my car backs out of the garage it typically drops the wifi connection causing the car to stop.

It wasn't. Read the release notes.

andrewket is a long-time poster here who frequently goes out of his way to help others. On the rare occasion when he actually asks for assistance, he deserves a more complete answer than the above, at least in my opinion.

Andrew--in some recent version, as a safety precaution, Tesla has made changes to how the fob can operate Summon, and because of the changes they have made they are requiring that we enable the features again. They are disabling the features by default, so that we will not be confused by changed functionality. This probably makes sense, and in this case, is basically a way to insure that people do read the release notes that explain changes to how their 5000 pound cars are going to act when being controlled remotely. So yes, you should read the new release notes, but at least now you know why.

Hmm, I'm still on 2.12.126. I'm just not clear on how (why) these updates go to some and not others.

I agree. As I use TACC and AP a lot, I'd like to have the improvements that MarcG described. It almost makes me want to find something, anything, to take it to the service center for. But if we could "summon" the updates that would be much easier and better one would think.

<snip>
So I did test TACC for another 50 miles this afternoon, and confirmed it behaves less abruptly. This is especially noticeable at lower speeds, where it would previously rush to the car in front then slam on the brakes at seemingly the last second.

All my testing was done in Setting 1, most aggressive. I used to have to change it to 4 or higher to get less sudden behavior, but now I feel no need to change from 1.

But if we could "summon" the updates that would be much easier and better one would think.

It might be better, in some respects, for us as customers. But in some ways it could also be worse, and it could be worse for Tesla.

One of the benefits for Tesla (and indirectly for us) in the way they push out the updates is that when there is some sort of small problem with an update, it generally is not affecting the entire fleet at one time. Another benefit to the way Tesla pushes updates is that they can push the updates that affect certain cars first, and not necessarily ever push an update that has no changes for cars that would not be affected by those changes.

And for the most part, when Tesla rolls out some serious new features that people have been waiting for, they have managed to get the software deployed pretty quickly.

Reactions: JenniferQ