Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More cowbell:

Watch More Cowbell from Saturday Night Live on NBC.com

Also, I don't have a clue what all of you guys are talking about regarding rainbow roads and Easter eggs other than they sounds sorta stupid to me. I do agree that I'd rather have Tesla fix the major problems with AP and NAV. I've had AP almost since getting my P90D 6 months ago and never use it -- instead of making driving more peaceful it scares the living hell out of me. It's like being a passenger in a car driven by someone who just got their learners permit.

How long until AP comes out of Beta?

I just got my 70D and autopilot has worked flawlessly for me. I've driven probably 300 miles on autopilot on both city and highway miles and it it's amazing. Works so good on the freeway that I barely have to manage anything other than the occasional lane change where it can't detect the other lanes for some reason.

The way these updates are issued is a mystery to me. I sometimes get them the day they come out but then there are times like now where there have been 4 updates since I received my last one (2.16.17 appears to be current while I'm still on 2.14.66).

Ha! I posted that 14 minutes ago. I just checked my phone and it shows that 8 minutes ago the car sent me a text saying I have a software update available.

Can't wait to get home. :)

Back to a non rainbow road discussion for a sec. I'm on 2.14.105, and the main thing I'm running into new is a frequent "Key not in car anymore, car will not restart" warning. It seems to happen randomly and rebooting isn't helping. No low fob batteries or anything which is odd and its definitely just one key that approach car with, and have in the car with me.

Anyone else running into this more now that is still on 2.14.105?

Just a friendly reminder...not directed towards anyone in particular...

One of the reasons The Firmware Upgrade Tracker ( Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App ) was started was so that this and other threads wouldn't get cluttered with lots of "me too" posts about simply getting the latest firmware version when the latest version has been out for days. I'm not a moderator, and not here to try to dictate what people should and should not post, but in general the consensus that was reached was that those kinds of posts really didn't add much to the discussion. Yes, we as a group want to have the data, and the collection of that data is now available through the tracker, thanks to Dirk and Hank. By all means, please do update the tracker when you get a new version. Check the data there, to see how many other people are getting the new version if that interests you. Certainly if you think you are among the first to get a new version, post in this thread to tell everyone about it. If you discover something about a new version, or have anything that you think could add to the discussion, or help someone else, post away. But if you're about to post, just to say that you also received version x.y.z, and haven't noticed anything different about it, and there are already several other posts just like that, perhaps think twice about whether or not you really want to make that post or not. (And while you're thinking about it, please update the tracker!)

Thanks!

Rainbow road is actually potentially useful as a more pronounced indicator that autosteer is on. The little grey vs. blue steering wheel icon is easy to ignore. On a couple of occasions I thought I activated auto-steer but for some reason it only activated TACC, resulting with me surprised why the car is leaving the lane on the first curve. Now, if there only was a way to enable it as a default auto-steer indicator...

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
Just a friendly reminder...not directed towards anyone in particular...

One of the reasons The Firmware Upgrade Tracker ( Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App ) was started was so that this and other threads wouldn't get cluttered with lots of "me too" posts about simply getting the latest firmware version when the latest version has been out for days. I'm not a moderator, and not here to try to dictate what people should and should not post, but in general the consensus that was reached was that those kinds of posts really didn't add much to the discussion. Yes, we as a group want to have the data, and the collection of that data is now available through the tracker, thanks to Dirk and Hank. By all means, please do update the tracker when you get a new version. Check the data there, to see how many other people are getting the new version if that interests you. Certainly if you think you are among the first to get a new version, post in this thread to tell everyone about it. If you discover something about a new version, or have anything that you think could add to the discussion, or help someone else, post away. But if you're about to post, just to say that you also received version x.y.z, and haven't noticed anything different about it, and there are already several other posts just like that, perhaps think twice about whether or not you really want to make that post or not. (And while you're thinking about it, please update the tracker!)

Thanks!

While I can appreciate your efforts to consolidate and reduce the redundant "me too" posts, this discourages input and stifles the collective voice of this forum.

...this discourages input and stifles the collective voice of this forum.
Sorry, but I personally disagree. If used, the tracker removes "clutter" and "noise" with posts that don't add any new content to the collective forum. Those sort of "me too" posts are fine to make an individual feel good they are contributing, exude their personal excitement, or to add to their own post count if that is important to them, but IMHO unless there is additional content related to a problem or unique observation, it just makes threads longer with little value to the majority and those of us that try to keep up with many of the threads here. (The difficult part for me is people that jump in to long threads saying they don't have time to read them, asking a question that was covered ad-infinatum earlier but who don't want to wade through the clutter. To the degree as a community we can keep threads more content-rich, I believe it makes any forum even more valuable. Posters can always use the "Off Topic" forum if they simply want to vocalize.)

Fortunately we can all have our opinions and still post what we want within the guidelines set forth by TMC. Peace.

Last edited:
Maybe some forum readers don't know how to access the details to see the 1,776+ entries for version 7.1. Here's how:

1. Click this direct link, no account needed: Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

2. Scroll down and select: Full Data Extract Version 7.1 (full)

3. Click the number "20" (at left side) between the "Show -- entries" and select the highest number (currently 1776) OR/AND type the forum name/handle of the person you want to view in the Search: field (at right side). (Optionally type any searchable data in the Search:, like Build number or Date of Update.)

4. Enjoy scrolling through the list of entries. Notice the Handle name, Model Description, Model S or X, Performance or Standard, Battery pack kWh, Dual Motor, Auto Pilot, Tech Package, VIN number, Date of Update, Version, Build, WiFi or 3G or SC (Service Center), Country, Time and Notes.

Thanks for the Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker!

Last edited:
Hummm.... I too noticed some pretty odd Vampire Drain on my first evening with 2.16.17. Put the S away last evening with 188 rated miles, tethered to the HPWC and this morning I come out to be greeted with only 170 rated miles... I am in always connected mode with WIFI available and operational. The car was off and locked.

I had set the charge level low as I did not foresee the need to charge..... thus no charging was performed over night. In the past vampire drain was perhaps 1 or 2 rated miles, not 18. Something may have changed in this area.

Oddly enough, after driving to the gym and some errands and going 7 miles, my rated range is UP to 171 miles. Go figure this??? I noticed there was one other earlier post reporting similar behavior.

On other thing I noticed.. the seat heater was PERISTENT as when I came out of the gym, my driver sideseat heater was still ON...??? On 2.12.126 I think it would turn off? Was it on all night?

Last edited:
Hummm.... I too noticed some pretty odd Vampire Drain on my first evening with 2.16.17. Put the S away last evening with 188 rated miles, tethered to the HPWC and this morning I come out to be greeted with only 170 rated miles... I am in always connected mode with WIFI available and operational. The car was off and locked.
That's pretty massive
Oddly enough, after driving to the gym and some errands and going 7 miles, my rated range is UP to 171 miles. Go figure this??? I noticed there was one other earlier post reporting similar behavior.
That's plain weird. I have had my rated miles not drop for the first couple of miles driven, especially if a charge finished just as I unplugged, but I have never seen it go up (unless going downhill enough to add 3 rated miles). Very odd.
On other thing I noticed.. the seat heater was PERISTENT as when I came out of the gym, my driver sideseat heater was still ON...??? On 2.12.126 I think it would turn off? Was it on all night?
That has been the case for me since v5 IIRC. I know early on that didn't work but it's been like this for ages - annoyingly also for the passenger seat, even if that isn't occupied...

While I can appreciate your efforts to consolidate and reduce the redundant "me too" posts, this discourages input and stifles the collective voice of this forum.
Sorry, I vehemently disagree. The whole reason the tracker was started was to remove the "I've got it" posts. They don't provide "voice", they provide "noise". No one is suggesting that people who have an observation or a useful (or funny) comment to make not do that. That would be their "voice". But simply adding "me too" is less than helpful because it is impossible to gage the raw numbers by posts like this, yet they make useful posts stand out less.

So in my mind it is the "me too" posts that suppress the interesting discussions here.

Speaking of the tracker...275 reports of 2.16.17, so this is clearly the third full rollout of 7.1 (after 2.9.154 and 2.12.126)

That has been the case for me since v5 IIRC. I know early on that didn't work but it's been like this for ages - annoyingly also for the passenger seat, even if that isn't occupied...
As far as I'm concerned, persistence of driver's seat heater settings is a feature, not a bug. Actually, I want the other cold-weather settings to persist too, but I've gotten used to toggling them back on so it's not a big deal. I agree it'd be nice if the passenger seat didn't persist, though better still they could use the occupancy sensor for the airbag as a cue to turn off the heater.

I seem to have massive vampire drain in 2.6.17. Anyone else? It appears as though I went from my last charge at 238 miles to 190 miles now, with the trip meter claiming 19.1 miles since last charge. IIRC, when I checked last night I had ~208 miles. Now after driving 3.7 miles @ 401Wh/mi, I'm at 190???? I haven't even had the climate control on in 2 days, so there goes that "leak" in the trip meter.

UGH

Yes, that's something I noticed ever since I replaced my 2013 85 with a 2016 85D. The 'vampire drain' has increased from ~4 miles per day to over 7 miles per day. This is with all settings at minimum energy usage and has been consistent from OS 2.11.54 up to 2.16.17 that I received 2 days ago.
I do notice that my Tesla app starts up quicker now. But I would trade that for less 'vampire drain' any day.

Looking at the logs from yesterday, my vampire drain increased a LOT as well. I'm still on .126 but I got a firmware push overnight. Even after the notification got sent out the car stayed awake for more than 4 hours. Not normal for my car.

Perhaps Tesla is keeping our cars awake for some reason?