Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2.17.37's autopilot is the best so far! I AP'd it to work today (like every day), all previous versions would struggle (in varying ways) through a few turns on the freeway. Mostly because of overhead (bridges) shading while the freeway dips and turns making the area difficult to follow.

This version is absolutely spot on around those turns.
I really look forward to this. Latest 2.16.17 AP is very drunk.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: msnow and Mark Z
During the commute today, I noticed the car braking more often.. with no one in front of me. However, I am in the carpool lane and the other two lanes to the right of me are almost fully stopped.
I also had the car swerve quickly to the left a short distance (~2 feet), but not enough for me to take over AP.

Installing an OTA software update right now.... Arrived on the S at 3 AM via WiFi was on 2.16.17
... Yesterday, I received & activated the free AutoPilot one month trial and was able to give it a short test... I wonder if using AutoPilot features prompted TM to send me the firmware update. I will log it into the tracker when I know what version it is. This is my second update since 3/3/16 when first delivered.

Update completed in very short order. I would say 1/2 hour and it was 2.17.37.

Last edited:
Just got 2.17.37 tonight. I don't really see much of anything different from 2.16.17 which I got on the 11th. I've attached the release notes. Took about a half hour to install give or take, maybe a little less.
Look again closely in Google maps. You will see additional info for Superchargers. Unfortunately this release comes without the Trip Planner. This however was unknown to Tesla when I contacted them. So wait for the next release because Trip Planner was very useful.

This release seems to do a little better with slowing while in curves and realizing it's going too fast. I'd like to see it slow more and be much more predictive and slow prior to entering the curve.

I can't stand this feature of TACC. The car slows significantly more than necessary for curves (I personally would prefer no slowing at all). Driving at a 45 mph speed limit, the car will slow to 30 mph for a tight curve, causing a line of cars to bunch up behind me. The Tesla and the cars behind me are all capable of handling the turn at 45 mph. I feel like I have my 82 year old grandmother controlling the TACC. I've learned to turn it off during these sections of road.

I can't stand this feature of TACC. The car slows significantly more than necessary for curves (I personally would prefer no slowing at all). Driving at a 45 mph speed limit, the car will slow to 30 mph for a tight curve, causing a line of cars to bunch up behind me. The Tesla and the cars behind me are all capable of handling the turn at 45 mph. I feel like I have my 82 year old grandmother controlling the TACC. I've learned to turn it off during these sections of road.
Agree. I use the go pedal in those cases. I assume it will get better, but these rapid updates are getting more annoying to me than my iPhone ones. I may skip a few.

On 2.17.37 now, and I have yet to experience any significant slowing for curves. I tested an exit ramp.
Perhaps there is a setting that I have missed.

Significant curves occur in two places on freeways: on interchanges, and on or near exit ramps.
On winding two-lane highways, significant slowing is often needed.
When on a road segment that is not known to the Dash-Nav, significant unexpected slowing has been reported.

In which of these conditions (or some other) are you experiencing automatic slowing, please?
Is the slowing when using just TACC, or only when using full AS?
Is your car reading the yellow diamond speed-slowing warning signs?

Thanks, Gary

Last edited:
There must be a setting I'm missing or we've two different definitions of curves. In earlier versions my car didn't slow at all. In the past 2 or 3 releases it's slowed slightly but only once in the curve and realizing that it's going too fast. Even here it will only slow from perhaps 45 to 42 (and give me a hands on wheel nag).

Now, if a car in front of me slows to make a turn then Tesla seems to slow a bit much and for too long and I have to give it a bit of encouragement.

Sometimes it slows down more than necessary (which is a subjective measure; by the way), but sometimes it slows down less than needed for AP to keep the car in its lane - which is a totally different issue in and of itself.

For those times that you feel it slows down too much, you can easily feather the throttle pedal to bring it up to the desired speed. I found that more effective than turning AP off and back on for every curve.

But sometimes it's also just more fun to actually drive with no machine intervention! :D

Reactions: JenniferQ
Installing an OTA software update right now.... Arrived on the S at 3 AM via WiFi was on 2.16.17
... Yesterday, I received & activated the free AutoPilot one month trial and was able to give it a short test... I wonder if using AutoPilot features prompted TM to send me the firmware update. I will log it into the tracker when I know what version it is. This is my second update since 3/3/16 when first delivered.

Update completed in very short order. I would say 1/2 hour and it was 2.17.37.

No. I denied the AP trial, but also received a software update notification this morning - 2.17.37

In which of these conditions (or some other) are you experiencing automatic slowing, please?
Is the slowing when using just TACC, or only when using full AS?
Is your car reading the yellow diamond speed-slowing warning signs?

The problem is most pronounced on highway 24 climbing out of Colorado Springs to Woodland Park. It's a divided highway with two lanes in each direction. There are several miles of curvy canyon roads, but no switchbacks. The speed limit drops from 55 to 45 through this section. Autopilot does not work well in this section, I only use the TACC. I would not fault AP for excessive slowing for turns since the car is driving itself and must remain cautious. But TACC feels like a worried passenger who has to step on the brakes before each turn. The dash continues to display the 45 mph speed limit though this section. I don't know if the car is picking up the canyon walls and assumes I'm about to crash. There has never been a warning sound or emergency braking and any false car/truck icons on the dash indicating it senses an obstacle. The cars reaction to each turn has not been predictable. Most times it slows down significantly (more than 10 mph below the set speed) and sometimes it wont slow at all. I just wish the TACC would stick to the selected speed unless I am approaching another vehicle in my lane.

The solution for me is to turn off TACC during this stretch of road. Which is actually a requirement at the moment because my wife is 8 months pregnant and can not stand all the speed changes with TACC on.

It was difficult to find good pictures of the road, but these give you the general sense of it.

ute-pass.jpg

tumblr_nsgmo49a5x1ric721o1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @ERP for sharing the photos. Reminded me of my Segway electric ride adventure in Colorado back in July 2003 at Rocky Mountain National Park at 12,183 feet. The view is spectacular without the windshield. I look forward to a 100% Tesla visit in the future.

100_3401.jpg 100_3403.jpg
(Enjoyed using the Segway through the western US, my first personal electric transport. It had firmware updates too.)

Last edited: