Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can sacrifice a little comfort for the batteries not exploding.
One might argue that good $100k products don't force those kinds of choices on their customers. One has to wonder if TSLA were headquartered in Phoenix rather than Palo Alto whether they'd have designed the A/C with enough capacity to do both, at least to some extent.

Can any Tesla owners in Nome, AL or Norway report whether there's a corresponding issue on the opposite end of the temperature spectrum? Do you ever have to give up cabin heating to keep the battery warm enough?

One might argue that good $100k products don't force those kinds of choices on their customers. One has to wonder if TSLA were headquartered in Phoenix rather than Palo Alto whether they'd have designed the A/C with enough capacity to do both, at least to some extent.

Can any Tesla owners in Nome, AL or Norway report whether there's a corresponding issue on the opposite end of the temperature spectrum? Do you ever have to give up cabin heating to keep the battery warm enough?

False logic. Cold temperatures don't cause permanent harm to the battery unless it's *really* cold. High pack temperatures, on the other hand, cause rapid and permanent damage.

-20°C is not cold enough to risk damage to the pack. At that temperature, pack heating is usually done to be able to extract more stored energy and power from the pack, not to prevent damage. In fact, the Model S manual says you can leave the pack at -20°C indefinitely.

It's not until -30°C or colder that you shouldn't leave the pack exposed for more than 24 hours without heating, per the manual.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
One might argue that good $100k products don't force those kinds of choices on their customers.
One might argue that a good $100k product should go a thousand miles on a charge, but the physical universe might argue otherwise, and it generally gets the last word. All mechanical systems embody tradeoffs. Even expensive ones.
One has to wonder if TSLA were headquartered in Phoenix rather than Palo Alto whether they'd have designed the A/C with enough capacity to do both, at least to some extent.

Well of course the pack heater is distinct from the cabin heater, but there are still plenty of complaints about cabin heating if that makes you feel any better.

What "logic"? I was simply asking whether this had been observed, not making an assertion.

You're right, I apologze for that--I didn't read your comment correctly (I was out and about).

All I was saying was that it's necessary on the hot end of the temperature extremes to avoid damage to the pack, but generally not necessary on the cold end since no physical damage is caused.

Sure -- it's page 69:

In right hand tra c, engaging the right turn signal when driving in the right-most lane within 164 feet (50 meters) of an exit (on a restricted access road only, such as a highway or freeway), causes Tra c-Aware Cruise Control to assume you are exiting. As a result, Tra c-Aware Cruise Control begins to slow down the vehicle. Likewise in left hand tra c, when engaging the left turn signal when driving in the left-most lane within 164 feet (50 meters) of an exit. The onboard GPS (Global Positioning System) determines if you are driving in a region with right or left hand tra c. In situations where GPS data is unavailable (for example, inadequate signal), engaging the turn signal near an exit does not cause Tra c-Aware Cruise Control to slow down the vehicle.

Tried it today and it worked beautifully around a pretty sharp freeway exit turn. Exit was this north-east-bound one in the image below and it actually slowed from around 75 mph down to 35. To be clear, I was in TACC mode only, not lane keeping.

Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 7.27.05 PM.png

Last edited:
I think this makes the most sense. Pack is hottest at highest rate of charge. I have had the message while in the car supercharging, that the AC would be reduced in effectiveness in order to cool the battery pack. Good move on Tesla's part. I can sacrifice a little comfort for the batteries not exploding.

Again though, the car should accept and defer the request to when it can turn on the a/c rather than simply refusing, making the user have to "check back" later to turn on preconditioning.

Reactions: Andyw2100
I went to get a quick charge last night at the SC at the SvC, and yet again got an update notification (2.24.86) while charging there.
This is the fourth update I got on my one week old car, and every single update came in while being at the store. Some said, coincidence... but 4 times? I don't think so.

(I'm not complaining about too many updates, just wanted to point out that in my case, every single update came in while being at the SvC for more than 30 minutes.)

My thought process is, maybe Tesla is pushing updates to any new car in approximate area of the store to ensure that the new cars being delivered are being updated, before they go to their owners. Since my car is only a week old, maybe it's being included in that update push before delivery.

I don't know, wish someone else had some more info on this subject.

I went to get a quick charge last night at the SC at the SvC, and yet again got an update notification (2.24.86) while charging there.
This is the fourth update I got on my one week old car, and every single update came in while being at the store. Some said, coincidence... but 4 times? I don't think so.

Yeah but I got my 2.24.86 two days before you did, while I was in the middle of the wilderness with barely 1 bar of LTE and no WiFi.

My 2.24.30 to 2.24.86 upgrade took 18 minutes.

Front-facing camera now viewable through touchscreen with x-ray vision mode.
My 2.24.30 to 2.24.86 upgrade took 18 minutes.

Front-facing camera now viewable through touchscreen with x-ray vision mode.
What app are you using to know how long the upgrade took. I am not getting any software upgrade notifications from my Tesla app. I have deleted it and reloaded it. If it does not happen again when I get my next update, I will call Tesla support.