Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of folks here have been keen causing firmware updates to occur faster than normal via SC, so I thought someone may find it of interest how at least one MS in the "normal fleet" has been updated to the latest and greatest -- skipping so many of the dot-releases being reported. My last update to 2.20.30 was via home WiFi on 5/26, and I just now completed update to 2.28.19 also via home WiFi which I received notification of earlier this evening -- some 6-weeks later. (Yes, it's been recorded on the tracker.) Only change in release notes for me is what has been reported previously and I had previously received -- when activating Summon from the stalk, a selection of direction is required on the CID. Ho hum for anything new or exiting. I'm going to bed. ;)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ICUDoc and msnow
Lots of folks here have been keen causing firmware updates to occur faster than normal via SC, so I thought someone may find it of interest how at least one MS in the "normal fleet" has been updated to the latest and greatest -- skipping so many of the dot-releases being reported. My last update to 2.20.30 was via home WiFi on 5/26, and I just now completed update to 2.28.19 also via home WiFi which I received notification of earlier this evening -- some 6-weeks later. (Yes, it's been recorded on the tracker.) Only change in release notes for me is what has been reported previously and I had previously received -- when activating Summon from the stalk, a selection of direction is required on the CID. Ho hum for anything new or exiting. I'm going to bed. ;)
I was on the same firmware as you and also got FW update notification today. Update took 28 minutes and on 2.28.19 afterwards. I was at the Rocklin SC yesterday and it never connected to Tesla Service. I don't know if the consensus was it connects automatically or you have to manually tell it to connect but I selected the Tesla Service profile and hit connect and it never did. While I was waiting for my car to charge I went in and talked to someone to replace missing valve stem cap probably due to rotation I did recently. I asked if there was any way for users to connect to the Tesla Service AP and he told me it was password protected. I'd assume that information is already in the profile in the car already but it sounds from the conversation that it will ask for password.

Anyway I never got a firmware update until the next day but it sounds more like a soft rollout since you got it the same day as me and coming from the same FW.

I noticed from EV-FW.com that only cars with autopilot are reporting the update to 2.28.19:

Build Model Trim #Updates AP NAP
2.28.19 S 70 3 3 -
2.28.19 S 70D 10 10 -
2.28.19 S 85 3 3 -
2.28.19 S 85D 8 8 -
2.28.19 S 90D 9 9 -
2.28.19 S P85 3 3 -
2.28.19 S P85D 8 8 -
2.28.19 S P90D 4 4 -
2.28.19 X 90D 1 1 -

I've been on 2.20.30 since May and I've just received notice to update, presumably 2.28.29. I've immediately installed every build since I bought the car 16 months ago, including seven updates after the initial release of v7.1.

I'm inclined not to install this one right away, or at least until there's some user feedback in this forum. There are three reasons:

1) The seven updates since 7.1 was released have not brought improvements or added value. Maybe there have been summon improvements but I can't use summon given the setup of my garage. I believe regeneration has definitely deteriorated, based on when I have to lift the pedal to coast to a particular intersection. The point is that except for major function releases (next 8.0) my current attitude toward updates has become worry about loss of function, not excitement over potential new function. This is not the way it's supposed to be.

2) There is an element of protest over Tesla's refusal to document the content of updates, other than to re-release earlier release notes. I would be satisfied if they just said "bug fixes" if that's what it truly was.

3) This is the first update notification I have received since the AP crash became a big deal. My fear is that in this and coming releases, AP functionality / usability is more likely to be reduced than increased. This is my protest against that too.

Does this seem like a reasonable stance? Obviously I would want v8.0 functionality improvements if they are significant. Also, I would not avoid taking the car to the service center just to avoid updates.

Reactions: davidc18
I would have to assume that, since AP was/is an advertised, explicitly paid for feature, Tesla Motors will not disable the feature you paid for or 1) they'll need to write a lot of people a check for the difference and/or 2) buy back the cars of people who ask as they did not deliver as promised (note what VW is going through right now with their diesel disaster).

I'm inclined not to install this one right away, or at least until there's some user feedback in this forum.
I don't think you serve yourself or Tesla well by being paranoid. They know way more than you -- you can only guess. And there's no evidence that the combined guesses of the owner community are worth anything.

Seriously, if you don't trust the company then you shouldn't own a car like this -- one that puts enormous control over every aspect of its use in the company's hands. It makes no sense at all.

I got my update in the wee hours of this morning and installed it immediately. I accept that it's Tesla's best shot at getting it right.

Just guessing, here.
What if the enhanced AutoPilot algorithms for better radar detection of perpendiculair moving objects etc are already in this release, but just running in the background? I.e. not really 'piloting' the car, but already testing those algorithms in real life situations. There was the concern of too many false positives, remember?

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
Thanks NOLA_Mike. I really wish Tesla would advertise bug fixes in their release notes so we know what was completed. As a software engineer myself, I know the value of a well-written release note document.

I understand that enumerating the bug fixes that were done could be alarming to most people -- but still.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike