Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm also still on 2.28.19, installed 31 days ago.

Since owners with 2.32.65 have reported that it audibly improves performance of the UHFi sound system, and appears to have improved autosteer performance relative to .19, I've been more interested in getting this update than others whose benefits are unspecified. Like others, I've entered geofenced areas twice over a 10 day period this month since reading about the update, with nothing triggered so far.

All we really know is that there's no known way to force an update. There are likely both known unknowns and unknown unknowns. ;)

I'm double posting this picture, but it seems as if much more discussion of the audio improvements that 2.32.65 has brought is happening here. Very happy with this frequency response. I won't type out my commentary that I posted in the thread (Any Updates to Premium Sound in New 2016 Model S? - post #35). This is from a Reus system in my S. The response has definitely improved with recent firmware updates and the measurement below is better than I have had in prior firmware versions. BTW - this is with all EQ controls set to 0.
IMG_2525.jpg

On the "aging"; I have a theory that they randomly hold back cars on certain versions so the can compare them against the rest of the fleet. Keep in mind there is a huge amount of data being collected on our cars, so mining this data can really help them refine things.

Again I remind people, you don't get much by fixating on the "software roulette". Once there's a major release, like the coming 8, then sure, maybe a big frenzy is warranted. As we all know, new point versions introduce bugs more often than features.

Seems like the releases have suddenly slowed. Maybe 8.0 on the horizon? =)

On the "aging"; I have a theory that they randomly hold back cars on certain versions so the can compare them against the rest of the fleet. Keep in mind there is a huge amount of data being collected on our cars, so mining this data can really help them refine things.

Again I remind people, you don't get much by fixating on the "software roulette". Once there's a major release, like the coming 8, then sure, maybe a big frenzy is warranted. As we all know, new point versions introduce bugs more often than features.

Seems like the releases have suddenly slowed. Maybe 8.0 on the horizon? =)
I agree. It definitely seems like they hold some people back on "golden" releases, while once you get on the train of getting a newer series of updates you're offered one a week or more frequent. I'm guessing if you're closer to the bleeding edge they push out more updates frequently but otherwise they will keep you on a golden release as a reference.

I'm double posting this picture, but it seems as if much more discussion of the audio improvements that 2.32.65 has brought is happening here. Very happy with this frequency response. I won't type out my commentary that I posted in the thread (Any Updates to Premium Sound in New 2016 Model S? - post #35). This is from a Reus system in my S. The response has definitely improved with recent firmware updates and the measurement below is better than I have had in prior firmware versions. BTW - this is with all EQ controls set to 0.
What app are you using to measure the frequency response, and what's your method (particular volume setting? reference track?)

Last edited:
What app are you using to measure the frequency response, and what's your method (particular volume setting? reference track?)
I use the SPLnFFT app for my iPhone. I believe this reading was taken with the volume one click under '6'. I used a 192kHz pink noise file played straight from a USB stick. The pink noise file is from this website: High Definition Audio Test Files

I am on 2.28.60, which was installed at the service center a few weeks ago. The past few weeks I've been experiencing frequent 3G dropouts, so I called tech support to ask if this was a known bug in my version. The tech support rep said that not only was it not known to be a bug, but that 2.28.60 is also the latest release for my car.

They pulled logs and said they'd investigate, but I was surprised to hear that even today the latest for my car is 2.28.60. (At least according to the tech support rep I spoke with on the phone). I'm skeptical that this is the case.
What does Tesla Tracker say about what other cars like yours have? 2.28.60 seems old to me and it wouldn't be the first time a tech didn't know what they were talking about.

What does Tesla Tracker say about what other cars like yours have? 2.28.60 seems old to me and it wouldn't be the first time a tech didn't know what they were talking about.

Hard to say for sure since there can be a lot of little different hardware configuration differences even among an otherwise identical car, but I see other P85s with 2.32.65, as well as other VIN 5xxxx range cars with that update as well.

Had 2.32.65 applied yesterday as part of a service visit to Salt Lake City (door handle replacement). But what was of interest is that when I reported that I had a "service needed power limited" notice on my IC last month I got this explanation from my invoice:
Concern: Customer states: an alert appeared on July 15th that said Car needs service /
Power reduced. Please inspect and advise.

Corrections: Vehicle Alerts General Diagnosis

Pulled vehicle logs for the date range specified by the customer. The technician did find
alerts for Drive Inverter faults including limp in mode activated. The alerts only set the one
time. All logs up to the current date were reviewed and the Drive Inverter alerts were not
seen again. The technician looked into the alerts more and found that there was a
firmware glitch that would set one of the alerts. The firmware glitch would have been fixed
with later firmware updates.
If the problem occurs again, further diagnosis will be required.
No further diagnosis required at this time. [Emphasis added.]

First time I've come across info that one of the recent updates corrects an error code glitch. Sure was a pain limping home uphill with power reduced; at one point I was down to 12 mph and less than 10 kW. The firmware I had when the glitch happened was 2.20.45 and ten days after the glitch I got 2.28.60, FWIW.

Anyone think 8.0 will be discussed today at the product announcement?
Elon Musk on Twitter

Personally, I don't. I wouldn't call 8.0 a product announcement. But then, I'm not Elon and I've been wrong before in my life. Personally, I think 100 kWh battery, but who knows. I'll be pleasantly happy in 3 hours nonetheless.

BTW - I love all the Charlotte representation in this thread! :)

I broke my foot Friday and have been dying to try out 2.32.23 since Friday night's update. You just gave me a front row seat, thank you! I'm headed straight to the 10W/405S intersection as soon as I can drive again. Oh wait, my car can drive it for me now!

Update and Observation:

Finally got behind the wheel since being upgraded to 32.23.......I usually notice no differences on upgrades and then only if an obvious one is pointed out. But I did notice a change in AP, immediately and it was visual. The neon blue lane lines seemed narrower. The side mirrors of my virtual car were almost riding the lines on each side. So I disengaged it, and the lanes were back to the prior sized images. Ummmm....then I re engaged and after a few traffic ridden miles my car was providing me greater driving confidence, especially when oreo'd by trucks. Maybe there has been some recalibration inwards to control the car in a smaller frame of reference? The visual impact of the narrower blues was instantaneous, not something to over analyze, but a steadier drive was a welcomed result. BTW, I found no material improvements in the UHFS Dolby sounds. Still tweaking the heck out of the equalizer to avoid the tin can.

I am on 2.32.23. I was raving how much better my AP, sound system, and motor noise level coming from 2.28.19.
BUT!!
This version has been consistently freezing my center display. One day I got into the car and the center display wont fire up, another is slacker wont play but car had internet, then the driver profiles won't switch over completely. All of the issues I had (which I never had before with previous versions) was resolved by rebooting the center display.

I am on 2.32.23. I was raving how much better my AP, sound system, and motor noise level coming from 2.28.19.
BUT!!
This version has been consistently freezing my center display. One day I got into the car and the center display wont fire up, another is slacker wont play but car had internet, then the driver profiles won't switch over completely. All of the issues I had (which I never had before with previous versions) was resolved by rebooting the center display.

Oh Zoom indeed. The NAV is very slow to load and has me miles from location. Yesterday it was caught in some techno loop, screaming at me to turn around on the dead end. LOL.

Edit - I was actually going 60mph on the 405. I had a good laugh and I turned her off. I'll reboot today. Thx.

Edit2 - is there any harm in rebooting after every upgrade? If not, I may make this standard practice as there is always something bugged-out after an upgrade, or so it seems.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't. I wouldn't call 8.0 a product announcement. But then, I'm not Elon and I've been wrong before in my life. Personally, I think 100 kWh battery, but who knows. I'll be pleasantly happy in 3 hours nonetheless.

BTW - I love all the Charlotte representation in this thread! :)
Agree, that 8.0 is not a product, but AutoPilot 2.0 is and if 2.0 is announced, I can see Elon diving into Firmware 8.0...

Agree on CLT rep! ;)

Reactions: Cyclone