Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm holding out for 8.1.

All you guinea pigs can work out the bugs of 8.0. Thanks.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

This how I see it going down, and yes I know it doesn't exactly match Elons blog post.

Step 1 -> Release 8.0 which greatly restricts AutoPilot, but vastly improves the capabilities of the radar.

Step 2 -> Use the enhanced radar data from the fleet of cars to passively gather data. Use that data to create a whitelist

Step 3 -> Release 8.1 which changes the behavior of AEB from requiring an Optical/Radar combination to only requiring Radar.

That means the people that are in the most danger are those that upgrade to 8.1

My understanding is it downloads differences.

So one persons download size is going to be different than another persons if they're at two different firmware versions.

If someone was still on the initial version 7.0 it would take a fairly large download to get to the latest Version 7.1

I don't believe that's the case. I might be wrong. Someone with more experience can correct us both but I believe that much like a phone or a computer, you're getting a full version of the firmware with most downloads.

It's likely just the security update casteven, sorry to say. My level of hope is diminishing.. maybe this "emergency" security release slowed things down.

And here I was all ready to get my radar unit's firmware flashed. I even washed it :cool:

Last edited:
I don't believe that's the case. I might be wrong. Someone with more experience can correct us both but I believe that much like a phone or a computer, you're getting a full version of the firmware with most downloads.

The experts on this are WK057 and Ingineer.

I'm basing it on what I remembered them saying about the patches, but it's not like I took notes. I could be remembering it wrong.

I do know that once it's assembled it's all the same. Meaning there isn't a different build depending on what the car has.

This how I see it going down, and yes I know it doesn't exactly match Elons blog post.
Step 1 -> Release 8.0 which greatly restricts AutoPilot, but vastly improves the capabilities of the radar.
Step 2 -> Use the enhanced radar data from the fleet of cars to passively gather data. Use that data to create a whitelist
Step 3 -> Release 8.1 which changes the behavior of AEB from requiring an Optical/Radar combination to only requiring Radar.

Huh? This makes no sense.

Also, I have a P85+, so no AP.

BOOM.

I think you're misunderstanding the update. It's giving radar equal decision making ability, not relying solely on radar. The two will work in tandem.

I think you might be misunderstanding this as well. For one, they wouldn't release any update that would put the owner of the car in danger had they not performed a prior update. There would be way too much liability there. Two, the whitelist isn't going to be on the car. It's going to be crowdsourced from all cars and loaded as you drive. Think about how your map loads around you as you're moving. Likewise a databases of geolocated radar signatures will load as well. But someone skipping 8.0 and going straight to 8.1 wouldn't notice a difference from someone that updated to 8.0. The only difference would be they likely wouldn't be contributing to that whitelist.

Either way, we can all assume that at the very worst, a car is going to defer to the camera if there is no data for a specific radar signature. It's not like AP would be broken without this information; it's that it theoretically gets more accurate with it.

The experts on this are WK057 and Ingineer.

I'm basing it on what I remembered them saying about the patches, but it's not like I took notes. I could be remembering it wrong.

I also remember one of them writing that the cars downloaded differences, not complete firmware images. (Or at least it was just certain modules that changed.) I specifically remember thinking that this was way more intelligent than the firmware upgrade process for the product I used to work on.

Bruce.

Can you explain what this is supposed to mean? That people (with AP) who skip 8.0 are in some way degraded from people who didn't skip 8.0? That's not how firmware updates work.
No, I think he's trying to say that the whitelisting doesn't kick in until a few cars have "learned" from driving experience. It's not tied to 8.1 as I remember. It's at some point that Tesla gains confidence in this new AP software which you don't have anyway. Don't sweat it.