Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got 2.16.17 - nothing obvious...
Since this update was installed in my X, I have not been able to open the FWDs, frunk, or rear liftgate from the main touchscreen after parking. Only the driver and front passenger doors aren't greyed out when I park at the end of a drive. However, when I first get into the car before a drive, all icons are available and I can open/close everything.

My X has also stopped being aware of my keyfobs when I approach the car. It used to blink the lights as I approached, so when I pressed the front door handle, the door would open immediately. A/C would already be running and music playing. Now nothing happens when I approach, and I have to press the door handle twice (once to wake up the car and again to open the door).

I've also noticed that my side mirrors don't always fold in when I lock the car, and that the rear spoiler refuses to close permanently when I lock the X. The spoiler does retract initially, but then a few seconds later it raises again and stays up (with the car locked).

I'm not entirely sure if Auto Lock when I walk away is working, since the mirrors aren't folding in and the spoiler isn't retracting. But it's definitely locked if I manually lock from the keyfob (I tested it with a friend).

I've tried rebooting from the steering wheel holding down both of the scroll wheels, but that didn't fix the aforementioned problems.

Anyone else experiencing this strangeness?

@Blastphemy, I am not having all the issues you mentioned or have not noticed but I do have the key fob not being recognized issue. My car no longer acknowledges my presence (with key fob on me). It stays locked until I unlock it by pressing the key fob button. Also I have encountered the raised spoiler on a locked car issue. It seems random and I have not been able to find a pattern to reproduce the problem.

ps: Not sure why someone has disliked you post as it is a statement of the facts around the issues you are having.

I have not seen anything like the--the only weirdness I have seen:
  • Headlights cut out for a sec -- think it has to do with the auto-high beam switching back and forth
  • Yesterday, while my wife was sitting at a drive-thru, the horn started honking
Both of these were one-time things that happened yesterday. I did a reboot, but have not driven the car much since then, so cannot say if that fixed anything.

Looking at your problems, maybe the MX is keeping an intermittent connection with the fob, which might explain some of the odd behavior? Perhaps try replacing the fob batteries then store them further away and see if that helps?

2.16.17 hasn't caused me any issues that I can tell. I had the mirror fold/unfold spoiler up/down issue on the previous version, but I think I realized that the range of the fob is a lot greater than on the Model S. So my wife's fob was sitting on her desk on the other side of the garage wall and making it lock/unlock. Once I moved it farther away, it stopped the behavior.

That said, the car doesn't unlock for me in the way I'd expect. If I am in close range and double click the falcon wing door button, for instance, it'll unlock but not open the door. It takes a second double click to open the door. Also, when it does "unlock," it's loud. Loud meaning I hear the falcon wing doors decompress/relax themselves as well as a thump somewhere below the frunk. Do others hear this as well? It's a different experience from my S.

Last edited:
I don't hear anything like that ohmman when the doors open, but I do have similar issues with the fob. Double clicking sometimes opens, sometimes unlocks...the double click doesn't seem to work well on the trunk either unless I am close and the car is already unlocked.

I thought I jinxed myself today with saying my cars working great. I was slammed by the door three times. I was thinking I guess the update did mess up my doors. But then I asked my wife if she put the key fob back in her purse again....yep. That needs to be fixed:/

Since this update was installed in my X, I have not been able to open the FWDs, frunk, or rear liftgate from the main touchscreen after parking. Only the driver and front passenger doors aren't greyed out when I park at the end of a drive. However, when I first get into the car before a drive, all icons are available and I can open/close everything.

My X has also stopped being aware of my keyfobs when I approach the car. It used to blink the lights as I approached, so when I pressed the front door handle, the door would open immediately. A/C would already be running and music playing. Now nothing happens when I approach, and I have to press the door handle twice (once to wake up the car and again to open the door).

I've also noticed that my side mirrors don't always fold in when I lock the car, and that the rear spoiler refuses to close permanently when I lock the X. The spoiler does retract initially, but then a few seconds later it raises again and stays up (with the car locked).

I'm not entirely sure if Auto Lock when I walk away is working, since the mirrors aren't folding in and the spoiler isn't retracting. But it's definitely locked if I manually lock from the keyfob (I tested it with a friend).

I've tried rebooting from the steering wheel holding down both of the scroll wheels, but that didn't fix the aforementioned problems.

I can confirm everyone of your issues on my 90D. I only had it 12 hours before applying the update, so I don't remember every original behavior, but now each of these things are happening on mine.

• Informative
Reactions: Blastphemy
@Blastphemy, the inability to unlock the FWD, frunk and trunk sound like the car is not auto unlocking after park. Is it possible that the firmware changed that setting?
I'm not entirely sure, unfortunately. I think these behaviors manifested after the most recent firmware update, but it's possible one or two of the symptoms began prior to it (namely the car not knowing I've approached with the keyfob). Going forward I'll know to pay attention more closely when I notice when the X acting strangely.

I have this same issue, as I mentioned above. I'm having my SC look at it next week, along with a list of other small items.

I have this same issue, as I mentioned above. I'm having my SC look at it next week, along with a list of other small items.
As I have reported elsewhere my cars behavior here has changed too after the most recent update. Prior if I was 10 feet away from the car it would turn on (flash lights and unlock) and then when I got a few feet away the drivers door would auto open. I just tested this and now I have to be one foot away from the rear quarter for the turn on and then a few feet more towards the door for it to auto open. I think I now prefer it this way.

The other benefit is that my vampire drain is much less (1-2 mi /day versus 4-8). And I have my car set to the lowest energy settings so perhaps that is also causing the car not to respond until I am right on top of it. Maybe later I can experiment with that to see if it changes any of the behavior.

Reactions: loganintx