Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - Disable control bar fades under Nav?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, you can move Nav down, but it does not fix the problem as created (...beware the law of unintended consequences), since Nav defaults to the upper part of the touchscreen. Maybe give me a toggle/choice to disable the auto-hiding control bar....

Reactions: TexasEV
Yes, you can move Nav down, but it does not fix the problem as created (...beware the law of unintended consequences), since Nav defaults to the upper part of the touchscreen. Maybe give me a toggle/choice to disable the auto-hiding control bar....
That would be nice. I thought the map was plenty big before, and now it takes two taps on the screen to accomplish what one tap used to do (such as bring up the trip energy graph).

Reactions: David29
That would be nice. I thought the map was plenty big before, and now it takes two taps on the screen to accomplish what one tap used to do (such as bring up the trip energy graph).

And it's slow. You tap the map, and it takes a good 2 seconds to slide down and reveal the menu bar. And then, if you want the app to go up top instead of down below so it doesn't block the camera a.k.a. world's best blind-spot solution, you have to do an extended hold of the icon. All told it's about 4-5 seconds of distraction while driving. It was so much better -- so much SAFER -- the old way.

Reactions: acarlos1000
When you tap, the animation doesn't even START for .75-1.0 seconds. Then another second or so of sliding down.

I'd like the tap to be responded to immediately with a 0.25 sec animation. That would be much snappier.

And it should only toggle with a tap...not auto hide after x seconds.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! That's a great idea, and it's similar to the increasing reveal on many iPhone apps. It also has the advantage of eliminating yet another setting.

Reactions: EVie'sDad
And it's slow. You tap the map, and it takes a good 2 seconds to slide down and reveal the menu bar. And then, if you want the app to go up top instead of down below so it doesn't block the camera a.k.a. world's best blind-spot solution, you have to do an extended hold of the icon. All told it's about 4-5 seconds of distraction while driving. It was so much better -- so much SAFER -- the old way.

...and remember at highway speed you have gone 88 feet in the second while you are looking at the touchscreen trying to catch the moment the control bar pops down, and if you are distracted a moment (like maybe you are actually concentrating on driving), then the control bar retracts back up. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Really, in hundreds of thousands of posts on TMC since the Model S came out almost 4 years ago, is there a single one complaining that the map is too small? That it needs to extend to the top of the screen where the information bar and app icons are? Has anyone ever said they would rather see another inch of map rather than being able to change apps with one tap of the icon? I wish Tesla would focus its limited software resources on problems rather than non-problems.

Reactions: David29 and svp6
When you tap, the animation doesn't even START for .75-1.0 seconds. Then another second or so of sliding down.

I'd like the tap to be responded to immediately with a 0.25 sec animation. That would be much snappier.

And it should only toggle with a tap...not auto hide after x seconds.

Another vote for this solution. Alternatively, they could put a lock icon on the toolbar to enable/disable the autohide.

I kinda like the autohide most of the time, but I agree that it's distracting, both in terms of animation speed and the mental energy to remember how to get the icons back while staring at the screen.

As to why they did it - I suspect it's a dry-run for the smaller screen on the model 3.

Reactions: David29 and cplaw
I'm in full agreement, about adding taps to simply enlarge nav. This broke something that was fixed, and it makes navigating more dangerous.

There isn't a short list of customer wants. I wish the ability to program a full Time Of Use schedule, including weekends and seasons, would be something Tesla's engineers could spend some time on. The others offer it. It's almost 2017, and forgetting to turn timed charging back on after a weekend can triple your Tesla's electricity costs. A car that, when it comes to electricity, is pretty hungry.

This is just the item that comes to my mind.

Reactions: David29
It appears the 8.0 UI changes were made under the assumption that drivers always left the media player window up on the lower half of the display and the map on the upper half (we always had the map 100% of the screen and used the dashboard to display the media player and the steering wheel control to change sources).

If the media window is always up, then only half the screen is used for the map - so auto-hiding the status and menu bars provides a noticeable increase in the map size.

And if the media window is always up - the driver can click on the touchscreen to change media sources.

However, if you don't run with the media player up all of the time - the new 8.0 changes are likely to be frustrating - requiring more screen interactions.

Really, in hundreds of thousands of posts on TMC since the Model S came out almost 4 years ago, is there a single one complaining that the map is too small? That it needs to extend to the top of the screen where the information bar and app icons are? Has anyone ever said they would rather see another inch of map rather than being able to change apps with one tap of the icon? I wish Tesla would focus its limited software resources on problems rather than non-problems.

In other words, if it wasn't "broke," why did they "fix" it!

I guess I'm in the minority, but I quite like the expanded Nav. I used to always have the map fullscreened, but now I can just leave it on the top and feel like I have enough real estate.

I do wish it wasn't so slow to unfade the menu bar though.

20151015_175924.jpg View attachment 210129
my vote for the option of disabling the auto hide. I swear i hafta hit that top screen 2 or 3 times before it even drops down.
Touch the center of the screen, on the right side border, just about where the icon would be to flip screen positions.

Last edited: