Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Navigate is a little frustrating, like it was easy to see a route overview before, As well as it was easy to see all the superchargers only, I also don't like the automatic zoom and speed, why not allow me to turn that off as the maps constant reload when it does this. Overall, I like the new look but the distinct removal of some handy features is very strange to say the least.

Nope. It's a bug or a blatent missing feature. Please report it to tesla, I have.

I absolutely will once I have 8.0 on my car. I have always reported such things in the past.

But over time, I have been losing faith on those reports. I am truly starting to believe that the only items the software progresses on are the ones that Elon is interested in, and the ones that can make headlines or related to safety.

I'll say it. The Speedo looks stupid. It looked stupid on 7.x, and now it looks REALLY stupid on 8.x. Functionally I still prefer the layout, but the style is now completely mismatched and looks ridiculous.

On a positive note, I thought the map going all the way to the top of the screen was a silly change. After using it for just a day or two, I'll readily admit I was wrong. I like it. A lot. Now if only it would stop changing to heading up every time I enter a destination.

On a positive note, I thought the map going all the way to the top of the screen was a silly change. After using it for just a day or two, I'll readily admit I was wrong. I like it. A lot. Now if only it would stop changing to heading up every time I enter a destination.

I was optimistic about this change and I agree, it's a nice refinement that doubtless makes even more sense on the smaller Model 3 display. I just find it baffling that the two icon overlays they chose to expose at the top of the map are lock/unlock and "about this Tesla." I can't remember ever needing either one while actually driving! There should really be something along the top edge to resize the map back to its reduced form to give you access to everything else.

Instead you have to make the oddly unintuitive leap that along the bottom of the map tapping on the name of the street you're on shows the rest of the UI. Bizarre.

There should really be something along the top edge to resize the map back to its reduced form to give you access to everything else.
There is, right? Just tap anywhere at the top of the screen that's not one of the buttons you mention. I've just been tapping in the middle where the application bar used to be and it pops back up (but doesn't stay permanently). I haven't tested the bounds, but it seems to work in about the manner you describe.

Got the update last night and went on a couple of hour drive this morning. Overall, I like that they cleaned up the look and feel as 7.x was a mishmash of old and new. Two things jump out on the UI
  • I still have the old-style speedo with the highlighting on the rim and the drop shadow. First, this looks really dumb, but second, and more curious, is does not look like the speedo in #109 by @SteveS0353 -- the speedo in that pic looks like a better stylistic fit
  • Hating the new apps icons--seems a waste to create 3D icons that out out off sync with the rest of the UI and spend most of their time hidden--plus they fail the "can you tell what it is" test, especially the phone and energy apps.
On the functionality front, I see a lot of things I like (like the new in-call menu in the IC) and attempts to de-clutter the main display, which I think is a good goal, but might need some more fine tuning. I am a heavy USB user, but only played with the new interface a bit, so have not formed an opinion yet--I mostly listen on shuffle, so the changes may not be a big deal for me (but I can understand how they may frustrate others)

I'm honestly thinking about not taking the upgrade. The sparse new features for us classic owners and the loss of some critical ones (media source toggle on the right scroll wheel) are kinda putting the brakes on me wanting to upgrade... It also sounds like you guys are still finding bugs.. maybe I'll wait for a few more bug-fix releases to drop before taking the upgrade...
I didn't even join my car to home wifi on this one to try and get it early... now that's sad...

Please Tesla bring back the media change on the scroll wheel! :)

I normally wait just to be sure, but once I saw that I can no longer have a manual fan speed at 3 with recirc air, I decided I am not clicking accept on the yellow clock. I will be fine sticking with 7.1 until either they fix these egregious shortcomings in the UI, service repairs force a firmware update, or Slacker stops working (i.e., now we get Spotify).

The reports of this release do not lend confidence to the supposedly expert software developers at Tesla. These sound like really amateur errors in the release. Even if it is "working as intended" no team I ever worked on would have let this level of regression out the door.
Where I work the programming department makes Tesla's programmers look like superstars. However, 4.2 was the best version.

There is, right? Just tap anywhere at the top of the screen that's not one of the buttons you mention. I've just been tapping in the middle where the application bar used to be and it pops back up (but doesn't stay permanently). I haven't tested the bounds, but it seems to work in about the manner you describe.
So now it takes two taps what used to be accomplished in one tap. Why does anyone think that's an improvement?

Unbelievable. So they haven't fixed any of the existing media player bugs (still no gapless playback -- still stutters between tracks). They've introduced new media player bugs (making it very hard to find the music you want on your USB stick, and apparently others?).

They've broken the ability to set the fan to a low level and put the air on recirculate (yes, I need that).

They've broken the functionality of putting the apps on the screen. (I always leave the camera on the top slot.)

What the hell, Tesla?

I did a lot of testing with 8.0 while driving today. My feeling is this is not an improved experience for customers in some respects.

What I am mainly interested in is TASK COMPLEXITY. Not overall look and feel. So many people get fooled by the look and think *that* is what makes a UI, but it isn't. That's just the visuals.

The real test of a new release is:

• if I want to accomplish a task, did Tesla make it easier, harder, or no difference?
• Does it involve more hand-eye coordination, less, or the same?
• Do I have to take my eyes off the road more, less, or same?

Two examples of how Tesla has made things worse:

(1) Listening to the radio or TuneIn stations. I cannot find a way to use the up and down buttons on the left side of the steering wheel while listening to radio/TuneIn anymore. Which means to change stations, I have to take my eyes off the road, reach over to the screen, and try to find in a horizontal list of square logos that are in no order whatsoever--certainly not in the order I had 'em in pre-8.0 (all my work!)--the station I wanna switch to. In Pre-8.0, I just used up-button or down-button to switch, and it quickly becomes muscle memory, and I can to Up-Up-Up-Up and I know that four stations from where I was takes me to say some NPR station or something. Forget that, it seems, in 8.0.

(2) Switching between media. My default setting for the right up-down set of steering wheel buttons was that the bottom button was set to Media, and then I could use the scroll wheel to jump to the media type I wanted. Tesla has gotten rid of this. NOW I have to take my eyes off the road, concentrate on hand-eye coordination with the 17" screen, and fumble around to try to get what I want.

(1) and (2) are interrelated. Usually I'd do (2) and then start doing (1) to find an interesting program. No. Tesla has apparently gotten rid of all those wonderful affordances forcing people to refer to the 17" screen.

Frankly, this is nuts. And I worry that things will only be worse in the Model 3.

This is not good human-factors design. This is like very much like what has happened to Apple since Jobs died and a hardware designer, Jony Ive, took over UI/UX. It's all about the visuals when in fact it's supposed to all be about tasks.

You give drivers more task complexity, they are less focused on driving. Maybe you can get away with this in an iPhone, but you don't screw around with driver human-factors design. Lives are at risk.

So now it takes two taps what used to be accomplished in one tap. Why does anyone think that's an improvement?
Speaking for myself, because I always have the map there and never touch any of that stuff when driving. So I get the map closer to my normal field of view, and suffer no consequences for it. It's nice.

Should probably be a preference toggle, though.

Reactions: ChadS
So if the alphabetic listing is gone from the media app, how do you get to what you want to listen to? My wife, like so many of you, has so much music on the USB stick that the alphabetic listing is a necessity. You can't really use the alpha listing while driving, but we frequently use it as the passenger or just when stopped somewhere. I can't imagine trying to scroll through the entire listing without a quick way to jump around.

Yeah, this is really painful. With 250GB of music on a hard drive it's brutal to scroll down to "S." And with the lag on the touchscreen it will often perceive a swipe as a press, and select the wrong artist. The worst part is that when you back out, it starts back up at "A" again. Frankly, it's dangerous to do while driving.

I'll have to check my folder structure and tags on my HD but there is no longer album structure underneath the artist. All the songs are thrown in there, and in the order of an alphabetical album structure, but it doesn't have each album as a separate level.

Finally, someone upthread mentioned using search. Unfortunately, the USB device is not searched.

Wish I had kept up with the forum for this upgrade before I pressed the button.

Navigate is a little frustrating, like it was easy to see a route overview before, As well as it was easy to see all the superchargers only, I also don't like the automatic zoom and speed, why not allow me to turn that off as the maps constant reload when it does this. Overall, I like the new look but the distinct removal of some handy features is very strange to say the least.

You can still see route overview. Tap map directional icon unti it appears. Haven't check for superchargers only.