Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Full scroll for songs, albums, artists...:( The USB search functionality has taken a huge step backwards.

Personally, I really don't like the new media interface at all. My wife took the car yesterday, and when she got back I asked her how she liked the new software -- her first response was that it's waaayyyy too busy. I agree. Sometimes simple is good. I miss 7.x.

And I've had 15 or 20 songs just stop part way through even though they were fully buffered, and I've had a couple just not even begin to buffer (then just skip to the next) when listening to Slacker radio. These things I'm less concerned with because I know it's not just me and it's a bug Tesla will fix.
Same here. I agree it's too busy. Much preferred the simple interface of all the previous versions and the easy to understand structure. And the majority of songs I've streamed have skipped to the next one before the song was finished.

Just downloaded 8.0 and have not had a chance to use much of it, but as far as the media and using a flash drive it is not as bad as I thought it would be based on the comments on this forum. There is a learning curve to find what you need as far as album and artist and song, but played with it a bit and I think once I get used to it I will be ok with it. I hope the X gets the same so it does not revert back to main screen but goes back to the song and album you had when you left. Do not need the other stuff below the song that is playing but does not bother me. It seems easier to chose the album and not the artist and then go from there. Not sure why they had to change anything on the media portion of the firmware.

Reactions: Blurry_Eyed
With the exception of the butchering of the Media Player for local USB media, I really, really like it. If you don't use a USB drive, I see no reason to delay an upgrade.

If you like running recirc air at fan speed 3 or below, you can't do that on 8.0. That is what is keeping me at 7.1. I spend 75+% of my driving with this config:
IMG_3406.JPG

If you like running recirc air at fan speed 3 or below, you can't do that on 8.0. That is what is keeping me at 7.1. I spend 75+% of my driving with this config:
View attachment 196847
The release notes talk about changes to the fan speeds to make them more consistent, and also to adjust them based on sun position. It might be that what you call Recirc@3 is actually different now. Seems like a strange thing to remove, though. I admit mine's been off full auto only perhaps a dozen times in 3 years.

Ok, I got 8.0. I will criticize it with faint praise -- it isn't as bad an "upgrade" as 7.0 was. The thing that mystifies me is they are such a great company, creating a brand new manufacturing infrastructure for a new type of car -- from scratch -- sincerely TRYING to make this stuff better (otherwise they wouldn't update it three times a year.

7.0 gave us one useful feature -- auto garage door open -- and a lot of steps backward.

8.0 follows by giving us improved voice calling functionality and voice command display, which hopefully is followed up (someday) with a broader range of voice commands (yeh, keep hoping). However, the decimation of USB drive music functionality is mysterious and illustrative of either rank amateurism or total disrespect for tesla owners. Also, with some of the positive enhancements to the media interface, I don't know whose genius idea it was to remove the ability to change music source from the steering wheel. Again, wierdly stupid execution. The NAV cosmetic stuff they did shows me that they just CAN'T tease waypoints, waze and decent navigation out of this crappy system, so we should stop whining about it and beg instead for mirroring waze from your phone.

I repeat -- they ARE trying and are not ignoring the user interface, and clearly are trying to improve it, So how can they make such bonehead mistakes and be so deaf to their audience?

Elon, ever hear of a focus group or sending out a user poll? You have such great market research available at your fingerprints here, if you'd just ask!

Reactions: Great Dane
Can anyone explain to me why it's a good thing for homelink to beep at me when I get close to home and it opens my garage door? I find that nothing but annoying.

OK it's not a big deal compared to some of the other things they've butchered in 8.0, but it is another example something Tesla just cant seem to learn. If you're going to add a "feature" the possibly not everyone will want, then MAKE IT OPTIONAL - don't just force it on us.

Can anyone explain to me why it's a good thing for homelink to beep at me when I get close to home and it opens my garage door? I find that nothing but annoying.

It only occurs on automatic Homelink, not manual. On Facebook, I know three people who had it trigger and they don't have the safety sensors in a spot to detect the car partially in the garage and had the door close on their car. I'm not saying they should or should not have changed it for everyone, but that is likely why they are now setting off the chime.

Yeah, well for those of us without Tech, the last useful thing we got was the white backup lines with 6.1. :confused:
It was pretty clear that most useful updates would require the tech package, as it was tech package features that had the most potential for updating (such as navigation). I don't understand people buying this techiest car when tech package was optional and not getting the tech package. I think fewer than 10% were purchased without it.

• Love
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Anybody else have the media play-pause reversed bug? In other words, when media source is FM for example and I mute audio before leaving the car, as soon as I open the driver door it PLAYS! And when left playing when I exit it mutes on getting back in! This only started happening with 8.

ps I know some others had this problem in previous versions, I never did. Its a surprise "present" with 8.0 for me!

OK it's not a big deal compared to some of the other things they've butchered in 8.0, but it is another example something Tesla just cant seem to learn. If you're going to add a "feature" the possibly not everyone will want, then MAKE IT OPTIONAL - don't just force it on us.

Have you parked in your driveway without going into the garage and then on the way out the garage door opens? An audible alarm reminds you that automatic door opener is signalling. Do not want to leave your door open accidentally.

Reactions: efusco
Definitely agree, so much so that I'm afraid to use this "call so and so" feature. I want the name displayed before the car dials the number, so I can see that the car heard the name correctly. Either that, or I need to make sure I have two numbers for every contact, so when the car gives me the choice of numbers I can see it chose the correct person.

I've only voice dialed once so far on 8.0, but when I did it presented me with a list of possible name matches on the dash prior to dialing.

Maybe that's because it didn't have enough confidence to just autodial one of them...?