Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only voice dialed once so far on 8.0, but when I did it presented me with a list of possible name matches on the dash prior to dialing.

Maybe that's because it didn't have enough confidence to just autodial one of them...?

If the contact entry only has one number, you do NOT get a prompt and it calls directly. If the contact has more than one number, you DO get a prompt even if you wanted it to just dial "Mom's mobile".

Received and installed 8.0 last night. Here is my review, most of which has already been said.

First impressions are this UI looks really good. Didn't like the busy, space-wasting, fake chrome border style of v4.x->6.x, and v7 was kinda mismatched and unpolished. The blue color in night mode could be a less washed-out, less grey blue, and that would be easier to see, particularly for the Bluetooth connection indicator.

The expanded nav map on the top half looks good, and I think it is a nice use of screen real estate to let it expand. The auto-hide of the app bar should be eliminated however. They should just use the toggle mechanism to hide or expand at will. I couldn't find a way to display the list of Superchargers or destination chargers. Used to have it's own tab with the favorites screen. Don't like how chargers are displayed. Cannot seem to have visited chargers displayed without having the side bar up.

Switching between apps is bizarre. Some apps open in the bottom when clicked, others open in the top. This is nuts. Inconsistent, confusing and annoying. This is a serious UI fail. Doing the same action (clicking an app) should always produce the same result IMO. Why they bothered changing this basic behavior I cannot fathom. The work around I've started doing is just a long press on the app I want to open at the top. That opens the two pane drag option, and if you just release after it appears, it drops the window to the top.

Media player is a disaster for USB. Completely useless.

A media player should read the tags of your files and sort them appropriately. This is one of the core functions of a media player, and they eliminated it. I can only think of two functions a media player has to have: Play Media, and Sort Media. The Tesla player no longer sorts media in any useful fashion.

A good default would be:
Album Artist (In alpha order) -> Album (In alpha order) -> Tracks (In track order)

(v4.x-7.1 sorted by Artist (alpha order) -> Album (alpha order) -> Track (track order)

The Album Artist tag is better to use than Artist as it prevents albums with multiple artists from being split up.

Current choices are:
Artist (alpha order) -> All their Tracks (alpha order)
All Albums (alpha order) -> Tracks (alpha order)

It is now seemingly impossible to play an album in order. That is an unacceptable oversight. Sigh.

The new two column list is a let down. The original method of using the left column for the higher level, and the right column for the next sort was a pretty great design. It made a lot of sense, and displayed everything quickly and easily. You could quickly browse through albums or artists without going back and forth between screens, by just clicking each Album and watching the Tracks next to it change. Same with Artists and Albums. You could swipe left or right to go deeper or move back a level, and it remembered where you came from.

I want the original style back, it was a really effective way to browse the USB. Or they don't even have to have the two column system anymore, as long as the screens sort correctly and there is a back button to go up a level (that would be more screen switching but an acceptable downgrade for functional sorting).

Other misc/minor stuff:
-Removed ability to change media source through the right scroll wheel. Odd. Please bring it back.
-Right scroll wheel function choice text could be tightened up, the gaps between each choice are huge. Would look better closer together. It is nice the font is larger though, much easier to read.
-Persistent day/date is needed. Now that Nav hides the app icons, it also hides the Date (which was in the calendar app icon). There is plenty of room to add to the instrument cluster (where it was for years).

For me it brought up a list of possible name matches, including the correct one, which only has 1 number.

I guess if it has low confidence in what you said, it would bring up a list to have you verify, and when having "high" confidence (by it's standards, not ours!), it would follow what I stated above. Good to know there is at least a chance it would just bring up the list!

I suspect you are right.

I just tried again a bit ago, and verified the same behavior.

Interestingly, the number I'm dialing is one I dial regularly, and in previous versions of the firmware it always grabbed the correct contact entry... so it doesn't appear that the recognition of my speech has been very ambiguous up to this point.

I'll try dialing something unique in my contact list and see if it just autodials...

Have you parked in your driveway without going into the garage and then on the way out the garage door opens? An audible alarm reminds you that automatic door opener is signalling. Do not want to leave your door open accidentally.

Sure, that's a valid point. But my main point is that what works for some doesn't always work for everyone. I have a short driveway and never leave the car parked there. They need to make stuff like this optional so we can turn it on or off as needed.

Sure, that's a valid point. But my main point is that what works for some doesn't always work for everyone. I have a short driveway and never leave the car parked there. They need to make stuff like this optional so we can turn it on or off as needed.
Agree. I like the audible alert as occasionally the backup out of the garage feature doesn't work. Now, if I don't hear the alert, it will be a reminder to manually operate the feature. It's not really bothersome that it alerts when I'm home and adds a little confidence that it's working. All that said, with all this functionality, the ability to disable the audio alert would be a very simple addition.

I couldn't find a way to display the list of Superchargers or destination chargers.
I got V8.0 a few hours ago in my classic S. The list of Superchargers can be displayed by tapping on the lightning bolt icon at the lower right side of the Nav screen.

Overall I like the Nav changes. The way the apps display in the center screen I am going to have to figure out and adapt to. I normally have the camera on top all the time and the nav on the bottom. I think I understand what Tesla was trying to accomplish with the changes but I don't think they considered my use case.

Anybody else have the media play-pause reversed bug? In other words, when media source is FM for example and I mute audio before leaving the car, as soon as I open the driver door it PLAYS! And when left playing when I exit it mutes on getting back in! This only started happening with 8.

ps I know some others had this problem in previous versions, I never did. Its a surprise "present" with 8.0 for me!
yeah. that surprised me, too. :confused:

I got V8.0 a few hours ago in my classic S. The list of Superchargers can be displayed by tapping on the lightning bolt icon at the lower right side of the Nav screen.

That seems to only display the 3 closest Superchargers (which is understandable) but sometimes I want to see a list of all Superchargers, for trip planning purposes. That is the screen that was there before and is now missing. Not a big deal as I can just find them on the map, but seemed to me to be easier with the list. The list was certainly easier to click than the tiny red pins.

If you click the Navigate button, if brings up a screen with Home, Work, and tabs for Recent and Favorite Locations. It should also have tabs for Superchargers and Destination Chargers, IMO.

Overall I like the Nav changes. The way the apps display in the center screen I am going to have to figure out and adapt to. I normally have the camera on top all the time and the nav on the bottom. I think I understand what Tesla was trying to accomplish with the changes but I don't think they considered my use case.
How did you get the list of superchargers to display? I only see icons on the map (which auto zooms out to show them). I much preferred the old "places" button that had a tab to list superchargers and destination chargers.

I don't think they considered anyone's use case. They picked a default which they thought would be easy for mainstream buyers who don't want to have to think about it, or heaven forbid read a owners manual.

Can anyone explain to me why it's a good thing for homelink to beep at me when I get close to home and it opens my garage door? I find that nothing but annoying.

OK it's not a big deal compared to some of the other things they've butchered in 8.0, but it is another example something Tesla just cant seem to learn. If you're going to add a "feature" the possibly not everyone will want, then MAKE IT OPTIONAL - don't just force it on us.
I may be an exceptional user, but the beep is useful when I leave my house, telling me that the car did, indeed, close my garage. As many of us know, the auto close is not 100% reliably activated, so the audio cue is valuable,

[cut]

Media player is a disaster for USB. Completely useless.

A media player should read the tags of your files and sort them appropriately. This is one of the core functions of a media player, and they eliminated it. I can only think of two functions a media player has to have: Play Media, and Sort Media. The Tesla player no longer sorts media in any useful fashion.

[cut]

The new two column list is a let down. The original method of using the left column for the higher level, and the right column for the next sort was a pretty great design. It made a lot of sense, and displayed everything quickly and easily. You could quickly browse through albums or artists without going back and forth between screens, by just clicking each Album and watching the Tracks next to it change. Same with Artists and Albums. You could swipe left or right to go deeper or move back a level, and it remembered where you came from.

I want the original style back, it was a really effective way to browse the USB. Or they don't even have to have the two column system anymore, as long as the screens sort correctly and there is a back button to go up a level (that would be more screen switching but an acceptable downgrade for functional sorting).

[cut]

..spot on review. Here is mine:

Inconsistent behavior when it opens apps (top or bottom).

Nav is good.

Media player/manager is awful.: Can't browse USB effectively. Switching tabs (TuneIn/Streaming/USB) causes buggy behavior. Sometimes an audio track will play and when I select another track the old track continues ...for a long time. I can't pause, stop or anything. It just plays.
I'm having a hard time understanding how this passed QA and what the UX designers were thinking.

Hoping they fix it soon...but not holding my breath.

I continue to enjoy and appreciate the majority of the changes in 8.0 and expect they'll sort through the most obvious issues in time.

I'd like to know if anyone else sees one consistent quirk I'm experiencing. I have an iPhone paired via Bluetooth that's my audio source 99% of the time. If I leave the vehicle briefly and come back audio plays as expected. If I leave for a longer period of time, like a work day or overnight, it still connects to the phone just fine and play/pause seem to work normally – except that it doesn't actually play any audio, regardless of the volume! If I switch to another source such as Radio or Streaming and back to Phone it begins to work normally.

I have my vehicle set to energy saving mode so presumably it goes to sleep during a prolonged absence so perhaps that's related. I haven't yet changed this setting to verify the hypothesis. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

I've only voice dialed once so far on 8.0, but when I did it presented me with a list of possible name matches on the dash prior to dialing.

Maybe that's because it didn't have enough confidence to just autodial one of them...?[/QUOTE
That seems to only display the 3 closest Superchargers (which is understandable) but sometimes I want to see a list of all Superchargers, for trip planning purposes. That is the screen that was there before and is now missing. Not a big deal as I can just find them on the map, but seemed to me to be easier with the list. The list was certainly easier to click than the tiny red pins.

If you click the Navigate button, if brings up a screen with Home, Work, and tabs for Recent and Favorite Locations. It should also have tabs for Superchargers and Destination Chargers, IMO.
That's a big omission. Why can't they leave well enough alone?

Reactions: dgpcolorado
I only received it last night. So far the good:

1. The trip metres are back on the instrument cluster
2. Many of my songs now have artwork (although some that had artwork prior don't have it anymore).
3. The time bar is now on all the songs (so far anyway).
4. Favourites can now shuffle and cycle.
5. Avoid tolls is now available.

The not so good:

1. I haven't figured out whether empty heart or full heart = favourites. All seem to have empty hearts, even the ones that aren't favourites
2. Temperature still not visible to passengers.
3. Still low contrast hard to read
4. The individual song display is just plain ugly.
5. Still no date and day on the instrument cluster.
6. Every time the car starts, if you happen to have the music panel showing, it goes back to the cellphone connect screen.

That's all I've played with so far. Compared to 7.1, so far it seems a bit better. Compared to earlier versions, not as good. Like Apple, they started with an interface that was almost perfect, and then they made it worse. Change for the sake of change.

I continue to enjoy and appreciate the majority of the changes in 8.0 and expect they'll sort through the most obvious issues in time.

I'd like to know if anyone else sees one consistent quirk I'm experiencing. I have an iPhone paired via Bluetooth that's my audio source 99% of the time. If I leave the vehicle briefly and come back audio plays as expected. If I leave for a longer period of time, like a work day or overnight, it still connects to the phone just fine and play/pause seem to work normally – except that it doesn't actually play any audio, regardless of the volume! If I switch to another source such as Radio or Streaming and back to Phone it begins to work normally.

That happens to me in 7.1, so I think it's an existing bug.

Two bugs with 8.0 (2.36.108) on my classic P85+...
  • Center 17" screen reboots constantly while driving. I get about 3 to 5 minutes, and the screen goes black, the A/C goes off, Bluetooth dies (bad if on the phone), and it reboots. I called Tesla service (from the car, call stays up but Bluetooth drops until reboot is complete and it reconnects), and they admitted there are others experiencing the issue. They took down my VIN on a list they were forwarding to the mothership, and miraculously, within an hour, the behavior stopped, without a firmware update. I'm not sure if the mothership intervened without my knowledge, but the timing of the "fix" was pretty suspicious.
  • I often have the radio muted, and when I open the driver's door, the radio unmutes. The same behavior happens at the end of a cell phone call using Bluetooth -- radio muted, call happens, call ends, radio unmuted. Not a safety issue, but it's quite annoying.