Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
List is gone. (Now when you click the lightning bolt icon you get a list of the 3 nearest Superchargers). You can still look at the little red pins on the map.

Release notes say something about all superchargers shown for the area selected by the map. So, even though my map will no longer stay zoomed out beyond a ~15 mile radius, if you get it there, in theory you should see all the available superchargers as bubbles, and they should be on the list. This is with the hidden lightening bolt highlighted.

I have my own list of takeaways, with a net negative impression of 8.0. The hidden "+, -" zoom buttons, on the map, not only require an extra screen tap. They also become moving targets as the icons of the top row push them down. It is about a ~1 second animation. I bet I'm not the only one who has ended up zooming in, when attempting to zoom out, because he didn't realize the plus going where the minus was! Help.

-I like the radar bounce, and seeing two cars ahead, and look forward to earlier braking under AP, which remains awesome.
-I like the simultaneous deactivation of both AutoSteer and TACC, instead of just AutoSteer
-I like blended favorites, in the media center
-I like being able to activate AP, while stopped. However, the car did already once creep upon the next until the forward proximity was amber.

What's still missing:
-The largest available battery electric vehicle cannot accept a programmed charging schedule. The simple 24 hour charge-start time has no 'stop', and requires manual over-rides on weekends. Electric utilities with off-peak offerings, almost without exception, remain off-peak during weekends, and holidays. Some Tesla owners don't find this an issue, but consider worst-case places like AZ, where on peak can cost $.49/kwh, and off peak $.05/kwh. Then, consider we humans sometimes forget to turn things back on. Ouch $$. It's a common feature to other PHEV makers. Gas now becomes cheaper than electricity, above about 30 cents/kwh.
-The ability to regain your dash board, and lose the AutoPilot display when not using it. I can see better than my parking sensors, but still cannot see what my high beams and other functions are doing.

From worst, to least bad
-Contrast, with maps and media appears to have weakened again. I thought V7 was a gain, as the milky bright backgrounds were reduced. V8 seems to keep the 17in screen's top row contrast, but the shades of grey and blu are too close together within a number of other graphics. Someday, maybe users can set their own contrast?
-maps appear to render more slowly
-major traffic routes are no longer as pronounced a green/yellow/red, as they once were, and are harder to pick out. thinner lanes.
-Road name fonts sometimes completely cover the traffic color of the road underneath.
-map zoom faulty, as noted. won't stay zoomed out.
-left selector arrow top/bottom, on steering wheel, seizes when landing on an internet station, now that favorites can mix radio and internet together. The same thing happens with GM, when XM stations are preset next to radio stations. It won't scan to the next preset. Now, that we can group favorites, it would be great to avoid getting marooned.

Last edited:
-I like the radar bounce, and seeing two cars ahead, and look forward to earlier braking under AP, which remains awesome.
-I like the simultaneous deactivation of both AutoSteer and TACC, instead of just AutoSteer
-I like being able to activate AP, while stopped. However, the car did already once creep upon the next until the forward proximity was amber.

What's still missing:
-The ability to regain your dash board, and lose the AutoPilot display when not using it. I can see better than my parking sensors, but still cannot see what my high beams and other functions are doing.

@3mp_kwh You might want to consider putting the quoted points in the Firmware 8.0 thread as the cars this thread is focused on don't apply to those points. But I appreciate the posts. I didn't realize the zoom buttons move too. :(

Reactions: markn455
List is gone. (Now when you click the lightning bolt icon you get a list of the 3 nearest Superchargers). You can still look at the little red pins on the map.
It's worse than that. Yesterday I only got the closest one (San Marcos) displayed, not the one I was aiming for (Columbus) which is in a different direction. I see no advantages to this new way of listing superchargers, even if it did show 3 of them. The old way of having a "places" tab for chargers as well as recents and favorites was much easier to use.

Reactions: jerry33
The old way of having a "places" tab for chargers as well as recents and favorites was much easier to use.

Yes it certainly was. There is room for it in the new UI as well. If you click the navigate button in the top left, it shows: Home, Work, and under those two are two tabs for Recents and Favorites. All they need to do is add two more tabs, one for Superchargers, one for Destination Chargers. Done. Simple. Functionality restored.

Reactions: Cyclone
When streaming on TuneIn, when switching from WiFi to 3G, and when switching 3G cells, I definitely observe a longer break in 8.0. Switching between cells was seamless in most instances in 7.1, so much so that I did not even know that switching cells could cause a audible break in the stream. Now it breaks several times every day on my commute. Also, when it breaks it takes much longer to resume than it did in 7.1 Sometimes it never resumes, and I have to switch sources to start the stream again. This never happened in 7.1.

That's not what I see. If I hit the lightning bolt button, I get a scrollable list on the left side of the screen that shows 26 charging locations (A-Z). A-L are the nearest Superchargers, M-R are previous chargers I have visited and the rest (S-Z) are the nearest destination charger. The behavior is the same regardless of if a nav destination is set. This is running 2.36.108 on a P85 with tech.

That's not what I see. If I hit the lightning bolt button, I get a scrollable list on the left side of the screen that shows 26 charging locations (A-Z). A-L are the nearest Superchargers, M-R are previous chargers I have visited and the rest (S-Z) are the nearest destination charger. The behavior is the same regardless of if a nav destination is set. This is running 2.36.108 on a P85 with tech.
Apparently the list varies depending on your location. I've seen as few as 1 supercharger listed (as noted in another post) even though I have three within driving distance in different directions.

Apparently the list varies depending on your location. I've seen as few as 1 supercharger listed (as noted in another post) even though I have three within driving distance in different directions.

Perhaps there is a search radius set, either an arbitrary amount (i.e. 100 miles) or based on remaining range (which would actually be pretty smart), since I am in NorCal and seeing Superchargers all the the SF Bay Area chargers...or its just a bug they will fix in 8.1 :)

So our classic P85 is on 8.0 and our MX is on 7.x (which also leads to me to believe they have paused the rollout), and I have to admit, going back and forth between the two vehicles, I like 8.x better. Granted there are a bunch big and small of bugs and UX foibles in 8.0, but, overall, I think its a good direction.

Folks love to throw rocks about SW development, but the reality is quality SW development is as much art as it is science--and, even in the best of circumstances, its hard and complicated work. I don't know enough about Tesla's engineering efforts to critique one way or another, but I do think they need to re-evaluate their approach to their beta program. Many of the things being discovered should have been caught before general release. Apple learned this lesson with their Maps debacle--opening and beta access and getting a greater diversity of testers (driving patterns, age, gender, geography, etc) will only be helpful.
Re beta program, actually I was in one EAP but I felt they were not listening to bug reports. I raised more than 20 reports but they fixed only one or two upon release. Just one data point.

and
Two bugs with 8.0 (2.36.108) on my classic P85+...
  • I often have the radio muted, and when I open the driver's door, the radio unmutes. The same behavior happens at the end of a cell phone call using Bluetooth -- radio muted, call happens, call ends, radio unmuted. Not a safety issue, but it's quite annoying.

I have no idea how or why, but after suffering for days with this idiotic behavior of unmuting when the driver's door is opened, my car has suddenly and without a firmware update or reboot, stopped doing it. it also stopped the spontaneous reboot of the center screen about an hour after I reported it to the service center. That's two -- and I'm beginning to think Telsa is pushing patches to my car without my knowledge or permission. I have no idea if that's true or not, but it's a strange coincidence if not.

I like some features, and I don't like some of the things that have been taken away, but in any event, version 8.0 is probably the buggiest release I've experienced since my car was new on 5.12.