Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously, satellite view is less distracting than double-tapping?
Switching to satellite view can be useful for finding the superchargers in an unfamiliar large shopping center parking lot. And it's not a double tap like a double click in Windows, you have to tap once to bring up the icons and then find it to tap on it. There is no good reason to hide that map icon which has always been present, or the icons to change zoom level of the map which are used more frequently.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
Switching to satellite view can be useful for finding the superchargers in an unfamiliar large shopping center parking lot. And it's not a double tap like a double click in Windows, you have to tap once to bring up the icons and then find it to tap on it. There is no good reason to hide that map icon which has always been present, or the icons to change zoom level of the map which are used more frequently.
Those both seem like extremely infrequent use cases to me. I've been on 8.0 for awhile now, and haven't used either one. The automatic zoom in/out based on road speed and upcoming turns made a pretty big difference in that regard. For my use case, anyway.

I've been pretty pleasantly surprised to find I very rarely need to use anything they've hidden, and do kind of appreciate the additional vew of the map it provides... especially at the top of the display.

• Disagree
Reactions: J1mbo and Owner
There must be one or two job positions in Tesla software whose sole mission is to remove things from the UI Apps.

Warranted or not. They get paid on reduction. Less is more. Their state goal is "to have nothing on the UI center console".

They strike at any time in the design cycle, lobbying for less at every scrum, and will use sneaky methods like pulling function close to a release before anyone else has time to notice.

Strange thing is, I think I might actually be right.

..it's some else's problem to make that information available somehow, just not on the UI please!
.. or to accept commands somehow, just not with UI buttons. (The voice reco department is currently understaffed).

e.g. my previously charged geo-data locations, gone from the nav map! Sure with v8 you can call up the "official" charging points, destination, SC, ... but where did "mine" go, the ones unique to me, at houses I visited in the past? I used those as landmarks and picking points to get a "Navigate to" pop-up.

The automatic zoom in/out based on road speed and upcoming turns made a pretty big difference in that regard.

I also like the auto zoom. However, there's a side effect. Every time it decides to zoom, it rebuilds all the tiles. I'm still on 3G, so that can be slow. Berween that and the gaps in cell coverage, I find the map missing more often than when it stayed at constant Zoom and fetched a few tiles at a time.

May force me to LTE.

• Disagree
Reactions: Owner and map724
I also like the auto zoom. However, there's a side effect. Every time it decides to zoom, it rebuilds all the tiles. I'm still on 3G, so that can be slow. Berween that and the gaps in cell coverage, I find the map missing more often than when it stayed at constant Zoom and fetched a few tiles at a time.

May force me to LTE.
I've assumed that the reason they went to automatic zoom was to limit the amount of redrawing/tile loading, and more specifically to control bandwidth and processor overhead. Not sure how well supported that theory is, but it made sense on the surface to me.

May force me to LTE.

Interesting...that was my first thought when I saw the autozoom doing its thing. (My daily commute has a couple of areas of rather dodgy 3G coverage. Not sure if LTE would provide better coverage, but at least recovery would in theory be faster.)

Bruce.

May force me to LTE.

Agree completely. 3G makes the auto-zoom less than perfect. But the price of the LTE upgrade makes that less than perfect, too.

I think it was a mix, some bad and some good. HOWEVER, Tesla is so far behind the rest of the automotive industry in the number of commands. Even in my old FORD do dial the phone all I had to do was say the name followed by which line such as "Call John Smith - HOME or "Call John Smith - Mobile" and it would dial. I did not have to take my eyes off the road and select which number.

Now the ford on navigation and related commands was terrible. Tesla is much better than the Ford was on it's best day. :)
I think it has got worst. Contacts that I would dial by voice can not be found. I have had to add contacts to my list to accommodate the poor performance.

May force me to LTE.
I did notice that it has to fetch new tiles as it zooms. That was always the case, but now with the zooming happening automatically, so the tiles must be downloaded as well. It's actually kind of silly: when navigation is enabled the car should know when to start fetching zoomed maps to have them be done in time for use. It doesn't seem like a thing anyone should be waiting for.

That said, it's a negligible delay with LTE. I had the upgrade done on mine, and after the zoom it's a brief fraction of a second until the screen is fully updated. Noticeable, but not a distraction. I mainly had the upgrade done to do everything possible to ensure cellular coverage everywhere I go (there's been some reduction in 3G sites to make room for LTE), but the speed increase of the maps is a nice bonus.

Still find it strange they're using bitmaps instead of vectors, though. The Tegra must not have the power to render and rotate the map vectors.

Reactions: ohmman
Auto zoom is my least favorite v8 feature by a long shot.
Part of it is that I have a (scary to many) 6th sense of direction, and I really want an overview.
The detail turn to turn stuff is better supported on the dash. I really like that it tells you which lane you will need to be in, so for a detailed level, I never look at the map.

Those both seem like extremely infrequent use cases to me. I've been on 8.0 for awhile now, and haven't used either one. The automatic zoom in/out based on road speed and upcoming turns made a pretty big difference in that regard. For my use case, anyway.

I've been pretty pleasantly surprised to find I very rarely need to use anything they've hidden, and do kind of appreciate the additional vew of the map it provides... especially at the top of the display.

Today, the volume worked (i.e. did not disconnect) while I was on a call. Since I have not had a FW upgrade from Tesla, I am going to assume something on the iOS side fixed the problem--this is an iPhone 6S running 10.1(14B71)...or its simply an intermittent issue and the phone gods were smiling down on me today.

Auto zoom is my least favorite v8 feature by a long shot.
Part of it is that I have a (scary to many) 6th sense of direction, and I really want an overview.
The detail turn to turn stuff is better supported on the dash. I really like that it tells you which lane you will need to be in, so for a detailed level, I never look at the map.
Isn't that what trip view does?

I don't use it for turn detail, but it's nice to not be zoomed into the 50' view on the highway, and, similarly, a zoomed out overview when you're near your destination.

I think it should be an option, but if you're going to Dislike every post by someone who likes the zoom feature, you've got a lot of Disliking to do. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: tomas
The reason why Version 8 went backards:

Tesla's UI chief, Brennan Boblett, left Tesla in late 2015 or early 2016. He was previously a senior designer at Apple and worked at Tesla since 2010. He would have been responsible for version 6.x and some versions of 7.x.
Could it be argued, then, that we're on a course correction since his departure? Many people disliked 7. Among those, I haven't read many who thought the 8 UI was worse than 7.

The media player functionality stinks, and many dislike the AP nags, but it seems the general consensus is the UI was improved over 7.

Could it be argued, then, that we're on a course correction since his departure? Many people disliked 7. Among those, I haven't read many who thought the 8 UI was worse than 7.

The media player functionality stinks, and many dislike the AP nags, but it seems the general consensus is the UI was improved over 7.

My memory fails, but wasn't the original version 7 launched in October of 2015? And wasn't it a later release, 7.1, that began the flattening of the UI? If so, it would seem that the initial 7 release may have been under Boblett's watch, but 7.1 and the UI flattening may not have been. I don't remember the timeline exactly. I just remember that the initial version 7 still retained the basic look and feel of 6.x.

I noticed something I don't like about the auto zoom map. It appears to be tied to the road the car thinks you are on. Low speed roads will zoom in, highways will zoom out. Problem is, if I'm driving along the highway in the right lane the GPS will sometimes think I'm on the 25-35mph frontage road parallel to the highway and zoom in (and redraw everything). Not a big deal, but annoying/unrefined. Especially because if I'm in the right lane I'm often getting ready to exit and that is a less-than-ideal time to redraw the map. Perhaps if it was linked to speed instead of road, it would prevent it redrawing the map as the GPS ping-pongs thinking whether I'm on the highway or frontage road (can see the current road display jumping from 101 to W Bayshore for example).

• Informative
Reactions: dgpcolorado