Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today, the volume worked (i.e. did not disconnect) while I was on a call. Since I have not had a FW upgrade from Tesla, I am going to assume something on the iOS side fixed the problem--this is an iPhone 6S running 10.1(14B71)...or its simply an intermittent issue and the phone gods were smiling down on me today.

I updated to iOS 10 yesterday and tested today. Call disconnected as soon as I adjusted volume (same as before). I was careful not to press the scroll wheel, but only scroll volume. Unfortunately, the new iOS didn't solve the problem for me, indicating it may still be a problem with 8.0.

I updated to iOS 10 yesterday and tested today. Call disconnected as soon as I adjusted volume (same as before). I was careful not to press the scroll wheel, but only scroll volume. Unfortunately, the new iOS didn't solve the problem for me, indicating it may still be a problem with 8.0.

Got a disconnect again today too, so, sadly, not really solved. Need to play with it a bit more to see if I can figure out the circumstances..

• Informative
Reactions: dfitz206
One thing I very much dislike about the new USB interface is the "left-to-right, top-to-bottom" organization of the categories/folders/tracks. This is a terrible change from the single column, top-to-bottom sorting of before. Tracking left-to-right AND top-to-bottom uses more "brain cycles" than just just being able to lock into a single, vertical dimension. Tracking both dimensions is a more complex task than tracking a single dimension, especially for someone like me with mild dyslexia. This means less eyes on the road time if you choose to fiddle with the USB while driving. (Not that it matters, because I don't use the USB media anymore, because it cannot play albums in order which was one of the main reasons I used it at all :mad:).

Got a disconnect again today too, so, sadly, not really solved. Need to play with it a bit more to see if I can figure out the circumstances..

Here is what I received from serviceNA. Haven't had a chance to try it yet:

"We should be able to resolve this issue with a new blue tooth connection. From the vehicle touchscreen touch the Blue tooth icon on the top row of your screen. A list of blue tooth connected devices will be listed under the "add new device" column. Go through each device and select "forget this device". Once the blue tooth connections have been deleted go to the phone and do the same. ( remove Tesla as a blue tooth connected device)

Next reboot the phone and the touchscreen on your vehicle. To reboot the vehicle push in the brake and hold in the two rolling scroll wheels on your steering wheel for about 1 minute or until the Tesla logo appears on the touchscreen. Once the screen comes back up wait for blue tooth to initialize ( will take about 30 more seconds) and pair a new device.

Once the new pairing has been completed test and see if the volume control still drops the call."

• Informative
Reactions: omarsultan
I've never heard of depressing the brake pedal and holding the scrolls wheels to reboot. I've always assumed only the latter is needed. Anyone know why they suggest the brake pedal?
It does a full reboot instead of a partial.

It could also be human behavior coercion. Wording it that way gets the user to do this while stopped, rather than using two hands to press the scroll wheels for 30 seconds while driving and potentially NOT steering!

Interesting boot sequence. I only hold the scroll keys until the touch screen goes blank. I've never held down brake pedal either but perhaps this is something new.
Those of us who have iPhones may know about the cold boot startup vs just just starting your phone by the on switch only.
I also recall resetting the oil change counter on my 2010 BMW for example with a series of 5 pumps of the gas pedal etc (engine off of course)
Maybe Tesla did some software changes to require this.

Thank you Tesla for listening to us!!! I am glad that I waited until now (Oct 30) for 8.0 in my classic. I downloaded 8.0 Version 2.42.40 once I read that the initial 8.0 USB issues raised in these forums were addressed. Indeed they are.You can now 'search all' including USB, although this still seems somewhat limited by file naming - try it. Initial USB reading and loading seems quite a bit faster. The scrolling alphabet (pick a song by scrolling down the list) makes its welcome return in this update. If USB has kept you away from 8.0, I would say that you can safely proceed to 8.0. My first impressions of the new media layout are favorable too. The system fonts are a bit smaller and flatter overall, which is a point deduction on my scale. But overall, it would seem to be a nice positive update.

Glad to hear... I don't even know what sub-version level of 8.0 I've got. But was soon after the announcement of 8 so an 'original' and will be looking forward to the fix release.

The media player was a spotlight feature and reason for 8, along with Nav and UI.

I'd say media didn't live up to the billing, and is a bit of an embarrassment for the billing it got. If you're going to let Elon tout it ... better be right. Songs terminate at 40s remaining... Terminate the dude who let that happen. Actually, choose 2 people: the one who wrote the bug, and the one who was supposed to test features. Let them both go. Oh, right!! :oops: There is no second person to let go... WE'RE the testers.

Another one down, but several more fixes to go . . . Glad the Tesla team addressed the USB song interface (clearly a larger majority pushed for this and Tesla prioritized accordingly), but phone and podcast interfaces still need work. After downloading 2.42.40 two days ago, I confirmed the following bugs still exist: 1. First phone call after starting car consistently disconnects upon attempting to adjust volume with left scroll wheel; 2. Podcasts do not retain their last paused position after exiting car; 3. Still getting "Loading Error" for Podcasts about half the time. Anyone else still see these issues?

Reactions: markn455