Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then one could argue either you didn't learn anything, or you don't really mind that much. ;)

Going to be the same types of things happening to those with the early Model 3s.

Assuming the 3 launches with AWD and Autopilot, I can't image there will be dramatic changes like we've experienced. Even if there were, the upgrade path will (hopefully) be clearer or worst case, cheaper. I might still opt for a CPO 2015/6 Model S instead... we'll see.

But for perspective: The biggest retrofit complaint when I got my car (which has them) was about powered folding mirrors. FOLDING MIRRORS. Even then, there was still a myth of being able to continually upgrade the car which convinced many of us to NOT defer purchasing. I'm a big fan of Tesla and Elon generally, but the oft-repeated encouragement back then not to wait for features rings very deceptive in retrospect.

But I digress...

Assuming the 3 launches with AWD and Autopilot, I can't image there will be dramatic changes like we've experienced. Even if there were, the upgrade path will (hopefully) be clearer or worst case, cheaper
Perhaps. Just wait until updated Autopilot sensors trickle down from Model S/X to Model 3 in 2020 or something and there's no upgrade path at all.

Cant imagine too many classics fighting over a parking spot to get the new media player, we don't get a whole lot more.
Hey. I've been complaining about the Media Player for 3 years. I want it NOW! ;)

Unfortunately, it's not that much better, according to the release notes/reviews.

• Funny
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Was thinking the same thing. Are there going to be a dozen Teslas camped close, but not quite in, the service centers over the next few days? That would make them regret that geofencing decision real quick.

Days? Previous roll-outs have been taken place over weeks or even months. Sitting outside sitting centers really isn't going to make a difference if you don't actually know when your car is scheduled to get a download.

Days? Previous roll-outs have been taken place over weeks or even months. Sitting outside sitting centers really isn't going to make a difference if you don't actually know when your car is scheduled to get a download.
Not sure what you mean. Camping within the geofence around the SC for 20-30 minutes flags your vehicle for immediate update. Or so that other giant thread suggests, anyway.

Not sure what you mean. Camping within the geofence around the SC for 20-30 minutes flags your vehicle for immediate update. Or so that other giant thread suggests, anyway.

If there's no update for your version/configration, camping within the geofence isn't going to make a difference. There's an incremental roll-out due to "many car configs" (quote Elon), which I take to mean not all at once.

Unless I'm missing something in the release notes I don't think we get optional routing for the NAV system. All I wanted was the ability to select other routes similar to the way Google maps works.

Yes, that would be so easy and useful. Many many times I want to investigate future legs of a long trip without starting "here".

Looks like 8.0 is a whole lotta nothin'.