Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's how I actually see it working...

If Nav or Camera app tapped...
- If neither the Nav nor Camera app are open on top, them load the one tapped on top.
- If Nav or Camera are already open on top, load the one tapped at the bottom.

If other app tapped...
- Replace app on bottom

All apps are "sticky" in whatever position they are placed. They won't move automatically with another tap. It's just Nav and Camera default to the top unless one of these is already open there, and all other apps default to the bottom, regardless of what's already open on the bottom.

So if you have Nav on bottom and Energy up top and click Phone, the Nav is replaced? That is the impression the details are giving in your post. I though the Energy app would be replaced, not Nav.

I always keep the camera open in the bottom and swap between nav/energy/media up top.

Now I will have to drag media or energy to the top position to prevent them replacing the camera in the bottom, correct? But I will be able to single click Nav and it will appear to the top without messing with the camera in the bottom?

I don't like having to figure out different rules for the same task. Some apps will need to be dragged to open in the top. Others will open in top by being clicked. This is nuts to me. Clicking an app should always do the same thing.

I always keep the camera open in the bottom and swap between nav/energy/media up top.

Now I will have to drag media or energy to the top position to prevent them replacing the camera in the bottom, correct? But I will be able to single click Nav and it will appear to the top without messing with the camera in the bottom?

<< snip >>
Correct. With Camera on the bottom, single tapping Media or Energy will replace Camera on the bottom regardless of what's on top. Single tap Nav and it will replace what's on top unless it's Camera, in which case Nav will occupy the bottom.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclone
I'm thinking that Tesla learned from owner surveys that the most frequently used apps are camera and nav and that the majority of users with those apps open put the nav on top and camera on the bottom. So this change is optimal for the majority of users. Those who do not fall into that category may find it inconvenient.

90% of the time I keep nav on top with camera on bottom (camera is on bottom 100% of time). I assume they have done better than survey and have actual logs from every car about actual screen usage.

That is no excuse for what they have apparently done, which is to make an inconsistent UI that has different results for doing the same task.

I don't like having to figure out different rules for the same task. Some apps will need to be dragged to open in the top. Others will open in top by being clicked. This is nuts to me. Clicking an app should always do the same thing.

Hence my complaint about modal designs. Doing X doesn't always lead to Y. You instead have to consider the multiple IF-THENs to get Y, Z, A, or B. :(

I'm thinking that Tesla learned from owner surveys that the most frequently used apps are camera and nav and that the majority of users with those apps open put the nav on top and camera on the bottom. So this change is optimal for the majority of users. Those who do not fall into that category may find it inconvenient.
Having the camera on the bottom makes it less visible (e.g. you have to turn/tilt your head more to see it as it's further from the normal viewing position). I run with camera on top and Nav on bottom.

Okay. In your earlier post you said "no integration with iPods or the Music app in iPhones in Model S". Now you say you have a "250Gb MP3 collection", but that can't be an iPod or iPhone.

The highest capacity iPod is 128Gb, so apparently your MP3 player is not an iPod. Until recently the highest capacity iPhone was 128Gb, so apparently that is not what you have either. The new iPhone 7 maxes out at 256Gb but enough of that is reserved that it doesn't allow for storage of 250Gb as you describe your MP3 player to be.

Or do you have your "collection" on multiple MP3 players?

I am sorry you are unhappy with that particular aspect of Tesla cars. I find the current iPhone "integration" to be completely satisfactory. @tomas explains how he plays music using his iPhone. You do not find that satisfactory, apparently. We can agree to disagree, but it appears that Tesla is unlikely to meet your music needs any time soon.

Sigh, I have a Mac that has 250GB of music. Okay? That's my collection at home. Sorry, I didn't mean I tote that around everywhere including in the car. I create playlists or copy a bunch of albums or audiobooks etc over to a USB device (the one I use mainly is a 32GB thumb drive) and try to use that in the Tesla. But it's slow and feature-poor with no playlist support.

It is ridiculous that Tesla is pushing back on support for devices/playlists/etc. I blame Elon. He probably likes streaming, so therefore everybody likes streaming, and streaming is the future, etc. Sigh. In this one area Tesla is really embarrassingly inept. I wish Electrek or some media outlet that Elon reads would come out with an article about the real situation with media device and playlist support in this car, and list out all the other cars down to, what, Honda Civics probably, that have better support for personal media devices. Maybe then Elon would wake up. Maybe. But I agree with you, it is doubtful Tesla will fix this. Maybe the solution is for Tesla to open the 17" screen up to 3rd party apps. I bet someone would whip up a decent media app in the first week.

I got my car with 6.2 and loved it. I use Waze on my phone and have it mounted next to the 17". Even with the 8.0 enhancements to the Nav, I see no compelling reason not to use Waze. Thus, other than Auto-Homelink, 6.2 had everything better than 7.x and 8.0. The way the UI looks doesn't bother me - I don't care if it is flat or has drop shadows and labels, but the information density and functionality of 6.2 was superior on a Classic (IMO).

4.2 was even better. I don't use Waze. Messing with a cellphone while driving isn't really the best practice.

The Waze app has been customized for use on the center 17" display :cool:
I use the Nav app on the top half of the screen and Waze on the bottom.

Waze for Tesla Incidents and Supercharger Traffic

upload_2016-9-25_10-1-30.png

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
The Waze app has been customized for use on the center 17" display :cool:
I use the Nav app on the top half of the screen and Waze on the bottom.

Waze for Tesla Incidents and Supercharger Traffic

View attachment 196133

Just note that there are no audio alerts with this. That is fine for many people and nothing wrong with that. I particularly enjoy the audio alerts, but that is just my personal use case. The web app is a good setup.

In my personal case, 90% of the time I have Camera up top and Media down below, and Waze to the side. The new UI quirks won't bother my use case, but I can see them being annoying for some.

I am amazed and impressed at your level of detailed inside knowledge into what Elon thinks and how the Tesla Motors design process operates. I think you should take advantage of your close relationship with Elon and make some suggestions to him as to what you would like to see changed or added to the Tesla center screen interface.

Please stop. You make the same kind of snide, condescending remarks to myself and others whenever we express any criticism of Elon Musk. Maybe the two of you should get a room, since cannot seem to separate criticism of Musk from your own person. Why must you defend every criticism of Musk in such an over-the-top, childish manner, and why do you take every criticism of Musk so personally that you find it necessary to respond?

I, too, am starting to think that the software updates are driven solely by what Musk feels is important. So much is being left behind at the expense of Autopilot, so much owner feedback is being flushed down the toilet at Tesla. So many missed UI opportunities by anyone with two eyes and a brain.

But if you want to drag either Nav or the rear camera to the bottom half of the touchscreen, they do not 'stick' if you launch another app. Before, you could launch an app by tapping on the symbol. This would open the app in the upper view pane. Tap again to make it disappear and revert back to the proper arrangement (...in my case, Nav up/camera below). You have to see/try it to understand the issue. Yes--sort of a corner case but a PITA for those of us who want to keep the camera on at all times.

A perfect example of Tesla messing with something that isn't broken, while not giving owners the features they are asking for. What a great process they must have over at Tesla.

I still am astounded there is no integration with iPods or the Music app in iPhones in Model S. Even in 8.0. Absolutely astounding.

That's because Elon doesn't use an iPod. Do we really need more evidence? lol

Last edited:
Please stop. You make the same kind of snide, condescending remarks to myself and others whenever we express any criticism of Elon Musk. Maybe the two of you should get a room, since cannot seem to separate criticism of Musk from your own person. Why must you defend every criticism of Musk in such an over-the-top, childish manner, and why do you take every criticism of Musk so personally that you find it necessary to respond?
I"ll strop when some members stop making posts saying they can read Elon's mind. Nothing to do with me taking it personally when people criticize Musk. It's about some people making demonstrably untrue statements to support their point of view. It's as simple as that.
That's because Elon doesn't use an iPod. Do we really need more evidence? lo
Actually in the early days of the Roadster, Elon was interviewed while driving a Roadster and playing music in the car from his iPod.

Still no update for me. The best update I could get is the original version that came when I got the car new in March of 2014. It didn't play my podcasts overnight, it saved passwords until a reboot and the interface was far superior. Unfortunately, with every update it has got progressively worse both in function and in its cartoonist appearance.
I got my car exactly when you got yours, and agree 100%. I've given up hoping for much in terms of real improvements from tesla, just don't want them making things worse. I saw the company in a different way when I bought my car, thought they were a company for car owners, would give us logical improvements..

Yes, I am one of the rare ones who keeps Nav on top and the backup camera on the bottom. Why was this change necessary in v. 8.x? Were the majority of owners confused/inconvenienced? I certainly am.....

Reactions: MikeC and trils0n
Having the camera on the bottom makes it less visible (e.g. you have to turn/tilt your head more to see it as it's further from the normal viewing position). I run with camera on top and Nav on bottom.

...to each his own...I need the camera only occasionally to check blind spot. I look at the nav map way more often. Thus my desire to keep camera down and nav up...

What will it have? What does it have? Is everyone absolutely thrilled? ;)

Thread created as continuum for Firmware 7.1 - For Classic Model S.

I like 8.0, but it won't play a specific song I choose.....I might not be doing it right.....I'll keep trying......new look is nice........nothing stays the same.........might as well love it........new phone image is nice.......8.1 is probably on the way soon.........thumbs up or down images look good too........lots to explore............thanks Tesla..........