Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure they are trying to minimize difference between AP and non AP code. They moved battery from center IC to make room for AP info. Doubt it will ever return, even for those of us without AP.

While true, AP cars have the odometer in the trip app and have the option to turn it off there so it can only be seen via the Tesla T pop up. Us Classics don't get the same love. In the 7.0 thread, it was postulated that this was a subliminal message to us Classics to trade up to AP cars before our warranty ended. I don't know how I feel about that, but they are explicitly coding the Trip app differently for Classics than for AP cars rather than reusing that code-base and UI.

Looking at photos online (mostly of AutoPilot cars though) makes it look like we did NOT get the 6.2 information dense climate control status bar. Still just "Auto" or "Custom" from the screenshots people have posted. Could someone confirm though in case they just had their settings in such a way that we wouldn't see any detail (like maybe full Auto doesn't say anything, but Custom now would). It was very nice in 6.2 to see all this detail at-a-glance in the status display:
BaLWYwz.jpg

While true, AP cars have the odometer in the trip app and have the option to turn it off there so it can only be seen via the Tesla T pop up. Us Classics don't get the same love. In the 7.0 thread, it was postulated that this was a subliminal message to us Classics to trade up to AP cars before our warranty ended. I don't know how I feel about that, but they are explicitly coding the Trip app differently for Classics than for AP cars rather than reusing that code-base and UI.
For most of the history of the auto, the analog display standard was speedo in middle with odo below needle in speedo. I suspect it also may be homage to that classic look. Doesn't bug me but I realize drives some crazy.

Reactions: CliffG and Cyclone
For most of the history of the auto, the analog display standard was speedo in middle with odo below needle in speedo. I suspect it also may be homage to that classic look. Doesn't bug me but I realize drives some crazy.

As Tesla has made it a point to thumb their collective nose at dated automotive convention, this seems like an odd place to toe the line. I'd rather they put SoC back.

I though maybe there was some regulation like the one that says where the idiot lights are located. (Yes, the ones that are hidden by the top of the steering wheel.)

From the photos posted upthread, it looks like the speed tape and power levels are brighter/have greater contrast now. Is that really the case or just an artifact of the photos? This is best judged in sunlight with sunglassss on. << snip>>

It's hard to tell really, as I've never really had any issue seeing the numbers or tick marks on the IC even with my Rx sunglasses on. Here is a picture I just took in the sun, through my Rx sunglasses, with as much sun as I could get on the IC. The numbers and tick marks look the same to me as they were under 7.1, so I would guess, no change.
IMG_0934.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0933.JPG
    IMG_0933.JPG
    436.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Cyclone
I've just drive the car a few miles with 8.0, and apart from Nav and Media, the changes seem more cosmetic than anything else. There are some interesting behaviors though, like the top icon bar on the 17" retracts up when I put the car in drive to give more area of the map (the release notes mention that). Also, the zoom level of the map is speed dependent (not mentioned that I remember). The map automatically zooms out when I hit about 60mph on the freeway, and automatically zooms back in around 40mph. Large speed hysteresis and initially a bit distracting in the corner of my eye. I like that we select "avoid ferries" and "avoid tollways" in the nav app. So far, I like it!

All changes are based on what Elon wants and likes. If Elon never uses USB media, there is going to be no improvement there, ever. In fact there could be deterioration even.
I am amazed and impressed at your level of detailed inside knowledge into what Elon thinks and how the Tesla Motors design process operates. I think you should take advantage of your close relationship with Elon and make some suggestions to him as to what you would like to see changed or added to the Tesla center screen interface.

• Funny
Reactions: Canuck and iffatall
It's hard to tell really, as I've never really had any issue seeing the numbers or tick marks on the IC even with my Rx sunglasses on. Here is a picture I just took in the sun, through my Rx sunglasses, with as much sun as I could get on the IC. The numbers and tick marks look the same to me as they were under 7.1, so I would guess, no change.
Here is 7.1. I'll see what happens with 8.
low_contrast.jpg

Reactions: Cyclone
I am amazed and impressed at your level of detailed inside knowledge into what Elon thinks and how the Tesla Motors design process operates. I think you should take advantage of your close relationship with Elon and make some suggestions to him as to what you would like to see changed or added to the Tesla center screen interface.

Wouldn't help. It has to be Elon himself that finds the change necessary. :D

Data point:
2013 S85 (May 2013 delivery) got notification 9/23 @ 9:00 PM PST---40 minute install.
2015 S70D (June 2015 delivery) got notification 9/23 @ 11:30 pm PST--installed 9/24--90 minute install.

8.0.2.36.108 on both (pre- and post-TACC).

All OK but 1 major 'feature fail" related to TMs decision to force either Nav or the Backup camera at the top of the touchscreen--now if you want to keep Nav on top and the backup camera on full time at the bottom, and you select any other app, then you have to go back and rearrange the Nav and Backup apps on the touchscreen. I want it to stay as is--I pick where I want my apps and want them left there.

Yep, the UI works very similarly to 7.1 (and earlier). You can drag down on the icon in the top line to place it in either the top of bottom of the 17" screen.

But if you want to drag either Nav or the rear camera to the bottom half of the touchscreen, they do not 'stick' if you launch another app. Before, you could launch an app by tapping on the symbol. This would open the app in the upper view pane. Tap again to make it disappear and revert back to the proper arrangement (...in my case, Nav up/camera below). You have to see/try it to understand the issue. Yes--sort of a corner case but a PITA for those of us who want to keep the camera on at all times.