Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But if you want to drag either Nav or the rear camera to the bottom half of the touchscreen, they do not 'stick' if you launch another app. Before, you could launch an app by tapping on the symbol. This would open the app in the upper view pane. Tap again to make it disappear and revert back to the proper arrangement (...in my case, Nav up/camera below). You have to see/try it to understand the issue. Yes--sort of a corner case but a PITA for those of us who want to keep the camera on at all times.
Interesting. My 7.1 just goes to full screen with the second tap of the icon. Otherwise it behaves the same way your 8 does. You have to tap on the camera to get it back.

Still no update for me. The best update I could get is the original version that came when I got the car new in March of 2014. It didn't play my podcasts overnight, it saved passwords until a reboot and the interface was far superior. Unfortunately, with every update it has got progressively worse both in function and in its cartoonist appearance.

4.2 was the best version so far. However with the no-toll-road setting, I'm willing to think that 8 might be better--once it arrives. Having it select toll roads whenever possible has been very annoying.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Still no update for me. The best update I could get is the original version that came when I got the car new in March of 2014. It didn't play my podcasts overnight, it saved passwords until a reboot and the interface was far superior. Unfortunately, with every update it has got progressively worse both in function and in its cartoonist appearance.

4.2 was the best version so far. However with the no-toll-road setting, I'm willing to think that 8 might be better--once it arrives. Having it select toll roads whenever possible has been very annoying.
I got my car with 6.2 and loved it. I use Waze on my phone and have it mounted next to the 17". Even with the 8.0 enhancements to the Nav, I see no compelling reason not to use Waze. Thus, other than Auto-Homelink, 6.2 had everything better than 7.x and 8.0. The way the UI looks doesn't bother me - I don't care if it is flat or has drop shadows and labels, but the information density and functionality of 6.2 was superior on a Classic (IMO).

4.2 was even better. I don't use Waze. Messing with a cellphone while driving isn't really the best practice.

Unfortunately, I've never seen 4.2. I don't mess with the phone while driving. I set it before I get going and it just sits there navigating and alerting until I get to me destination. No different than our built-in Nav, it just works better.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
But if you want to drag either Nav or the rear camera to the bottom half of the touchscreen, they do not 'stick' if you launch another app. Before, you could launch an app by tapping on the symbol. This would open the app in the upper view pane. Tap again to make it disappear and revert back to the proper arrangement (...in my case, Nav up/camera below). You have to see/try it to understand the issue. Yes--sort of a corner case but a PITA for those of us who want to keep the camera on at all times.
You posted this in the Firmware 8.0 thread and in that thread @Ingineer confirmed to me that, just like before, one can position apps using the drop down choice that appears when you press and hold on an app icon for a moment.

I routinely keep camera on top and nav below. Are you saying that if I then for example tap the energy app icon that the nav will automatically move to the top of the screen and energy will open in the bottom half? If that is what happens, that is weird. I hope not.

I still am astounded there is no integration with iPods or the Music app in iPhones in Model S. Even in 8.0. Absolutely astounding.
I am not "astounded" at all. Apple wants a fee for each car that runs CarPlay (Apple is not going to give away their software to another company). Tesla doesn't want to pay that. I am happy with the way that I can play music through the car from my iPhone right now. You apparently are not. That's fine, we can agree to disagree.

Reactions: J1mbo
I am not "astounded" at all. Apple wants a fee for each car that runs CarPlay (Apple is not going to give away their software to another company). Tesla doesn't want to pay that. I am happy with the way that I can play music through the car from my iPhone right now. You apparently are not. That's fine, we can agree to disagree.
Yes and... for those bemoaning, select phone in media player and use Siri to control phone. Works fine.

CarPlay? I'm not talking about CarPlay. I have zero interest in CarPlay which is a recent development. I am talking about the fact that practically every car on the market, even $20K-range cars, has decent device integration for MP3 players. Artist, album, track, playlist support. Period. I mean simple integration with iPods and iPhones and heck, Androids and any other devices that have MP3 players.
I have zero interest in streaming services like Spotify or Slacker. They don't have the music I want, they don't play the music I want when I want to play the music I want, and they play music I don't want whenever they feel like it. And streaming services routinely cut out, out here in the mountains of New Mexico. I just want support for my 250GB MP3 collection. I can't believe a $100K high-tech car from Silicon Valley doesn't have this support. That is what I mean by "astounded."

You posted this in the Firmware 8.0 thread and in that thread @Ingineer confirmed to me that, just like before, one can position apps using the drop down choice that appears when you press and hold on an app icon for a moment.

I routinely keep camera on top and nav below. Are you saying that if I then for example tap the energy app icon that the nav will automatically move to the top of the screen and energy will open in the bottom half? If that is what happens, that is weird. I hope not.
No, that's not what happens with 8.0. If you have Camera on top and Nav below, and then tap the Energy app, it will replace the Nav on the bottom half of the screen leaving the camera on top. If you then tap the Nav app, it will replace the energy app on the bottom, leaving the Camera on top. I think it's best described like this... both Nav and Camera have their default position when tapped to open on the top of the screen, and all other apps default to the bottom when tapped to open. Nav won't replace Camera on top nor vice versa, so if Camera is already open on top, then you tap Nav, it will replace whatever is on the bottom.

New CarPlay? I'm not talking about CarPlay. I have zero interest in CarPlay which is a recent development. I am talking about the fact that practically every car on the market, even $20K-range cars, has decent device integration for MP3 players. Artist, album, track, playlist support. Period. I mean simple integration with iPods and iPhones and heck, Androids and any other devices that have MP3 players...I just want support for my 250GB MP3 collection. I can't believe a $100K high-tech car from Silicon Valley doesn't have this support. That is what I mean by "astounded."
Okay. In your earlier post you said "no integration with iPods or the Music app in iPhones in Model S". Now you say you have a "250Gb MP3 collection", but that can't be an iPod or iPhone.

The highest capacity iPod is 128Gb, so apparently your MP3 player is not an iPod. Until recently the highest capacity iPhone was 128Gb, so apparently that is not what you have either. The new iPhone 7 maxes out at 256Gb but enough of that is reserved that it doesn't allow for storage of 250Gb as you describe your MP3 player to be.

Or do you have your "collection" on multiple MP3 players?

I am sorry you are unhappy with that particular aspect of Tesla cars. I find the current iPhone "integration" to be completely satisfactory. @tomas explains how he plays music using his iPhone. You do not find that satisfactory, apparently. We can agree to disagree, but it appears that Tesla is unlikely to meet your music needs any time soon.

I think it's best described like this... both Nav and Camera have their default position when tapped to open on the top of the screen, and all other apps default to the bottom when tapped to open. Nav won't replace Camera on top nor vice versa, so if Camera is already open on top, then you tap Nav, it will replace whatever is on the bottom.
Thanks for that explanation. That's an interesting change. In fact that fits perfectly with the way I use the camera and nav apps.

Okay what about this: with camera and nav in their "default" positions on the screen, if I press and hold the Energy icon and then choose the drop down menu choice to show it on the top half of the screen will the Energy app appear on the top half?

Last edited:
No, that's not what happens with 8.0. If you have Camera on top and Nav below, and then tap the Energy app, it will replace the Nav on the bottom half of the screen leaving the camera on top. If you then tap the Nav app, it will replace the energy app on the bottom, leaving the Camera on top. I think it's best described like this... both Nav and Camera have their default position when tapped to open on the top of the screen, and all other apps default to the bottom when tapped to open. Nav won't replace Camera on top nor vice versa, so if Camera is already open on top, then you tap Nav, it will replace whatever is on the bottom.

As Tesla showed back when it released TACC, they are not afraid of having a modal design, which I hate. So, like double-pulling the stalk would set current speed limit + offset if not previously set on this drive OR resume existing setting if previously set, clicking on these icons now is a series of IF-THEN statements versus a consistent design.

If Nav or Camera app tapped...
- If the Nav nor Camera app are open, them load one of those up top.
- If Nav or Camera are already open, load at the bottom

If other app tapped...
- If the Nav AND Camera app are open, replace app on bottom
- If the Nav OR Camera app are open on bottom, load on top
- If the Nav NOR Camera app are open, load on bottom

Versus old behavior...
- If app is tapped, load at top

Last edited:
Thanks for that explanation. That's an interesting change. In fact that fits perfectly with the way I use the camera and nav apps.

Okay what about this: with camera and nav in their "defunct" positions on the screen, if I press and hold the Energy icon and then choose the drop down menu choice to show it on the top half of the screen will the Energy app appear on the top half?
Yes. All apps will appear where you drop them from the pull down choice, Nav and Camera included. It's only the "tap to open" maneuver when Nav and Camera default to the top. All other apps "tap to open" default is the bottom. It works just fine for me (Nav on top and Energy on the bottom). If I tap Media, it opens on the bottom replacing energy. If I then tap Energy, it replaces Media on the bottom.

Last edited:
As Tesla showed back when it released TACC, they are not afraid of having a modal design, which I hate. So, like double-pulling the stalk would set current speed limit + offset if not previously set on this drive OR resume existing setting if previously set, clicking on these icons now is a series of IF-THEN statements versus a consistent design.

- If the Nav nor Camera app are open, them load one of those up top.
- If Nav or Camera are already open, load at the bottom

If other app tapped...
- If the Nav AND Camera app are open, replace app on bottom
- If the Nav OR Camera app are open on bottom, move that app to top and open new on on bottom
- If the Nav NOR Camera app are open, load on bottom

Versus old behavior...
- If app is tapped, load at top
Not quite. It won't move any open app from bottom to top. If you have Energy on top an Camera on bottom, tap Nav and it will go on top replacing Energy leaving Camera on the bottom. But if you tap Phone and not Nav, Phone goes on the bottom replacing Camera, leaving Energy on top.

Here's how I actually see it working...

- If neither the Nav nor Camera app are open on top, them load the one tapped on top.
- If Nav or Camera are already open on top, load the one tapped at the bottom.

If other app tapped...
- Replace app on bottom

All apps are "sticky" in whatever position they are placed. They won't move automatically with another tap. It's just Nav and Camera default to the top unless one of these is already open there, and all other apps default to the bottom, regardless of what's already open on the bottom.