Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, that exactly describes why I try and load that site. I believe I got it to load successfully once in the past, but it was painful.

I tried those sites and they loaded real slow, I was supercharging at the time and right after they loaded the dash screen rebooted (partially, the charge % was zero and then the odometer reset to Dashes temporarily) the main screen froze for a min and then it all recovered. So whatever they use the car wasn’t happy about it.

So about a week ago I took update 2018.28.5 377ec8b. The release notes were blank when I got in the car after it updated, and if I click on the version in the car, the blank release notes come up. So what was the reason for this update or did something wrong happen with mine? It must have, because now the dash board screen reboots after about 1/2 hour of driving, almost like clockwork. It freezes for a few seconds first, which has thrown me on the highway, when I've looked down at my speed and it was frozen. Then it goes out, and comes back fine until it happens again. Anyone else?

I just want version 6 back that the car came with in early 2014. That was the best, most stable all around, better layout and information -- and podcasts played perfectly.

So about a week ago I took update 2018.28.5 377ec8b. The release notes were blank when I got in the car after it updated, and if I click on the version in the car, the blank release notes come up. So what was the reason for this update or did something wrong happen with mine? It must have, because now the dash board screen reboots after about 1/2 hour of driving, almost like clockwork. It freezes for a few seconds first, which has thrown me on the highway, when I've looked down at my speed and it was frozen. Then it goes out, and comes back fine until it happens again. Anyone else?

I just want version 6 back that the car came with in early 2014. That was the best, most stable all around, better layout and information -- and podcasts played perfectly.

Same EXACT scenario here. Dash goes blank and then comes back numerous times a day. Happened after I got the "blank page" update.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
Exact same experience here as Canuck

Same EXACT scenario here. Dash goes blank and then comes back numerous times a day. Happened after I got the "blank page" update.

Yes - numerous times a day. I'm glad I'm not alone so it's not some defect with my car, but sorry to see others have this problem. I waited to post, thinking another update would soon fix it, but after nothing for a week it's concerning since it should be considered a dangerous defect. I'm going to complain nicely to service and see what they say.

The IC rebooting bug has been under discussion for several weeks in this thread:

2013 MS60 Driver Dash/Instrument Cluster Random Reboots

It first happened with 2018.28.1 in July and has not been fixed (yet) in two later firmware updates. Rebooting happens only while navigation is being used.

I'm not clear on whether it only affects classics; haven't noticed reports from AP cars. Perhaps the bug is associated with an AP update?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Canuck

I'm having similar problems. And I can reproduce the bug at will.
1. Set navigation to some destination.
2. Start driving.
3. WIthin a few minutes, dash computer screen goes haywire, including sometimes the nav portion of the display rotating 360 degrees, then the speedo freezing, whole display freezing, then going black, then dash computer rebooting, all while I'm driving.

It's happened 8-9 times in the 2 or so weeks since I downloaded this firmware. I notified Tesla, they say they know about it.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Hank42 and Canuck
I too have been experiencing this issue. The instrument cluster freezes, then reboots while using navigation. In my case it only took less than 60 seconds of navigation use for it to freeze. Bummer, as I have a road trip planned starting tomorrow into next week. I need my Nav to work...

I need my Nav to work...
Do you really though? I've been on several road trips including MA to CA and back, and last year MA to TN to watch the eclipse - which I used no nav nor pre-defined destination. (I was watching the weather until about 2 days before.) If you can read a map and pay a little attention, it's not difficult.

I ought to apologize: sorry, this thread is about software and nav should work without rebooting screens.

Do you really though? I've been on several road trips including MA to CA and back, and last year MA to TN to watch the eclipse - which I used no nav nor pre-defined destination. (I was watching the weather until about 2 days before.) If you can read a map and pay a little attention, it's not difficult.

I ought to apologize: sorry, this thread is about software and nav should work without rebooting screens.

No need to apologize. It's on topic as far as I am concerned. If we only freeze with Nav on, then the next question is it still worth using Nav and that's a good question to me and one I've been thinking about since I'm off to my cabin after work. I know exactly where I'm going but I still like to look down and see how many km to go -- to each of my stops on the way, including the first one being the supercharger. Now that I know it won't happen without Nav being on, I will still use Nav and put up with the rebooting. It doesn't affect my podcast or Sirius or I would have it off for sure.

But the real answer is for Tesla to fix the problem so we don't have to debate Nav on or off. I emailed my local service centre yesterday to tell them I have the problem, and asked for the ETA for an update (not that they would know) -- but we all should be emailing or calling so us Classic owners don't get the short end of the stick when it comes to software updates. I told them I wanted v6.2 back! (in a nice way, I think).

Reactions: Brass Guy
I too have been experiencing this issue. The instrument cluster freezes, then reboots while using navigation. In my case it only took less than 60 seconds of navigation use for it to freeze. Bummer, as I have a road trip planned starting tomorrow into next week. I need my Nav to work...
Nav works fine — I used mine for 1000 miles earlier this week. All that happens is that the IC reboots at random intervals, so you lose IC information, including the turn-by-turn display, for a few seconds and then it recovers. This bug doesn't affect navigation on the big screen at all. It really isn't a big deal most of the time.