Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From that article, quote: "Electrek has learned all of the so far unreleased details of Tesla’s upcoming update 8.0 — one of its biggest to date. The automaker started testing the latest build with a limited number of owners and it features the most important UI refresh since the launch of the Model S, new Autopilot features and more…"

If true, great news.

Hopefully Tesla finally will offer media functionality every car, even cheap cars, has had on the market for 10 years: ipod integration, playlists, browse by artist/album/track/genre, you know, basic stuff. I fear Tesla will never support this stuff however. I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: Soundchasr
My #1 hope is that nav gets better. Avoiding tolls, doing waypoints, and providing alternate routes would be a huge improvement.
I don't have much hope for the browser getting too much faster because I suspect that's a hardware issue, but it would be nice if it could run evtripplanner. (Or maybe nav gets so much better, we won't need to!)
AP: I'm pretty happy as-is, given the state of the hardware.

Hopefully Tesla finally will offer media functionality every car, even cheap cars, has had on the market for 10 years: ipod integration, playlists, browse by artist/album/track/genre, you know, basic stuff. I fear Tesla will never support this stuff however. I hope I'm wrong.

I just noticed in a brand new 2017 Audi A4 that the car is able to get the whole playlist over bluetooth to an iPhone, no Carplay involved! Clearly it's possible and probably just software…. I hope too they'd at least do that.

Reactions: tstorm
My #1 hope is that nav gets better. Avoiding tolls, doing waypoints, and providing alternate routes would be a huge improvement.
I don't have much hope for the browser getting too much faster because I suspect that's a hardware issue, but it would be nice if it could run evtripplanner. (Or maybe nav gets so much better, we won't need to!)
AP: I'm pretty happy as-is, given the state of the hardware.

According to the article, the nav will now be able to avoid tolls and provide other options.

Do you think 8.0 (in some form) is also a merged codebase with the software for the 3? Obviously the aspect ratio of the actual display is different but I wonder if what we saw during the 3 reveal on screen is a hint towards the overall direction of the 8.0 release (from a look and feel standpoint). Might be 9.0 for the 3 though.

I just noticed in a brand new 2017 Audi A4 that the car is able to get the whole playlist over bluetooth to an iPhone, no Carplay involved! Clearly it's possible and probably just software…. I hope too they'd at least do that.
Many cars can do whole playlists either via bluetooth or cable. You would think that a company that considers itself avant-garde would have this functionality from the beginning. Pay whatever fees are needed and do it already, iPhone and Android

As discussed in other threads, don't hold your breath on hardwired iPhone/iPod integration. It would require at a bare minimum beyond Tesla coding, licensing fees paid to Apple and likely additional hardware (i.e. additional cost against an existing revenue-captured fleet, in a year Elon has committed to shareholders Tesla will turn a profit).

BTW for others: In case folks don't want to repeat here what others luxury brands have with Infotainment , the 2nd half of the first post in THIS THREAD contains a function-by-function list of what MS is lacking compared to a couple other luxury brands. We can all hope a significant number of those items are addressed in 8.0.