Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This actually makes a lot of sense, and a feature that I would really like. Almost every time I use Valet mode, I forget to shut it off after, driving away under-powered. A grey-out interface will make this really clear (either that or a huge marquee with flashing lights dancing around it saying "Valet Mode. I don't trust you to drive my car!")
I had that happen coming out of an underground garage. The Nav wasn't working and I thought it was just because I had been underground. Then the car seemed sluggish and I realized it was still in Valet mode! I didn't realize it disabled the nav-or perhaps just the ability to lookup addresses on the web-but an obvious reminder to turn off Valet would be good.

Are you looking for a "no" answer so you can feel good about yourself so that you can say "haha, 20' isn't that tight! I win!". OK: No, I have not went out with a ruler and measured 20'.

But what I have done, is parked the car in spaced where there is less than 2' of clearance from either side of the bumper. Considering the car is 16+', and I can add 2+16+2 to get 20', I can take a pretty good guess as to what constitutes a 20' space.

You need to look at perspective, I'm guessing it's pretty easy to park in your neck of the woods around PA. It's OK to park here in VA, most spaces are perpendicular, not parallel. It's harder to park in DC, mostly parallel parking; and during events/around tourist traps, you're lucky to get a spot; and it's a lot harder to park in NY (where I take the car to constantly).

So while 20' seems like a lot of space in the boonies, it's not that big of a parking space in the city. It's all about perspective.

So don't try to tell me that a 20' space is "big" and I should go out and measure it.
Let's not start making assumptions. I was born and raised in Philadelphia. I learned to drive there. I currently work there. So, thank you for jumping to the conclusion that I never get out of the boonies.

When 7.0 came out, I was surprised that 20' is the minimum space needed to auto parallel park. So, to see what it could do, I set up a scenario with exactly 20' available to park. I was surprised by how small it seemed. That was my only point. I assume 20' was much bigger than it was; I suspect many others do as well.

What I found was that auto park did a remarkable job. It located the spot, and proceeded to park nearly perfectly after several series of back and forth maneuvers.

Yes, I can park in tighter spots. I'm sure you can too, as you so pointed out. Now that everyone knows how well you can park let's put this to rest.

I heard that version 8.0 was going to be released without color Icons. I think this is a huge step backwards and it is a safety issue. Colored icons reduce the time needed to find and press one of the icons.
Don't trust rumors. There was a screenshot leaked that had grey, but someone pointed out it might have been in valet mode with grey signifying unavailable functions. We won't know until we know.

If I were Tesla, I'd put in invisible watermarks on every screen only decipherable by computer analysis.. just like the EURion constellation on currency.
It's easy to do if you have the original image (i.e. a jpg of the 17" screen), but harder (impossible?) to do if you have someone holding a cell phone, tilted at an angle, showing the surrounds of the dashboard.

It's easy to do if you have the original image (i.e. a jpg of the 17" screen), but harder (impossible?) to do if you have someone holding a cell phone, tilted at an angle, showing the surrounds of the dashboard.
Microsoft has a free app for Android that allows you to crop the shape of the screen and correct for angle of camera. I think if leaks became an issue, Tesla might implement something like that, but thus far it's been fairly limited IMO.

It does not have to be that complicated especially when they don't have a lot of beta testers…. I've worked in environments where products/software are designed to be traceable in this manner and when you only have a few hundred or a thousand beta testers, you can employ really really simple techniques to make everyone's UI just slightly different and trace back a leak.

• Informative
Reactions: MarkS22 and MP3Mike
It does not have to be that complicated especially when they don't have a lot of beta testers…. I've worked in environments where products/software are designed to be traceable in this manner and when you only have a few hundred or a thousand beta testers, you can employ really really simple techniques to make everyone's UI just slightly different and trace back a leak.
During the 7.0 beta phase Tesla claimed to have over 700 people in the beta program. Seems like a lot to me.