Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all of the ways that v7.x could and should be improved, choosing (any) 5 enhancement requests and delivering those would constitute a v8.x win.

Point being that wheel re-invention isn't necessarily necessary - just wheel balancing, and maybe some unscuffing/rim repair would work just fine.

That said, this is after all a new version. One wonders if we'll see (based upon past statements, vague and otherwise) the most improvement in Nav or AP or communications or some combination of the three. Plus then there would be the related app updates...

With all of the ways that v7.x could and should be improved, choosing (any) 5 enhancement requests and delivering those would constitute a v8.x win.

Point being that wheel re-invention isn't necessarily necessary - just wheel balancing, and maybe some unscuffing/rim repair would work just fine.

That said, this is after all a new version. One wonders if we'll see (based upon past statements, vague and otherwise) the most improvement in Nav or AP or communications or some combination of the three. Plus then there would be the related app updates...
I'll be extremely disappointed if they don't fix NAV in 8.0.

Summon only works through the phone app. It can't be engaged from the keyfob and you can't disable continuous press.
And, for some reason only over cell, not WiFi (you can try WiFi but it usually bugs out and wastes your time). And it's laggy over cell. Oh, and the little button you press down has no clear positive response showing it is being pressed (ugh I get so annoyed by bad/incomplete UI design, when I develop I tend to do the UI first, among other things it helps ensure the thing actually makes sense in the first place).

So, it is kinda exhausting to even try to use other than calling out "sick 'em !" when sending your car after a buddy once in a while.

Elon is just teasing us. He said "hopefully going to final review". I'm hoping I get the update tonight, but that doesn't mean it'll happen...
Indeed, I too am hopeful :D I even went and made sure my phone is showing the app's notifications, and I am hoping it's "any minute now" too :) Unlike with the excitement I felt with 7.0 and Autopilot though, I simply really really need an update urgently to fix this 3G issue and to get my desperately needed "avoid highways / avoid toll roads" checkboxes. Everything else will be be gravy for me.

I'm just hoping it fixes my auto fold mirrors not folding during summoning. Super annoyance in a narrow garage that broke over last 2 software updates.
What kind of behavior are you seeing? When I activate summon, the mirrors initially unfold but then re-fold before the car starts moving. Annoying and obviously not working as designed, but not a major problem.

Still no Spotify in US. Anyone else think it's kind of ridiculous?

They likely have an exclusivity contract with Slacker and are waiting for the contract to expire. The Spotify software is already the on US cars and can be turned on from the service menu, so it must be either the contract with Slacker or the contract with Spotify holding them back.

Reactions: jvonbokel
They likely have an exclusivity contract with Slacker and are waiting for the contract to expire. The Spotify software is already the on US cars and can be turned on from the service menu, so it must be either the contract with Slacker or the contract with Spotify holding them back.

That makes perfect sense. I can't think of any other logical reason for it.

Last edited:
That makes perfect sense. I can't think of any other logic reason for it.

Yeah. I imagine the contract with Slacker has some term in it that until XYZ date, even if Tesla moves to another provider, they must pay Slacker for service through said date. And thus, Tesla is waiting so they don't pay both Slacker and Spotify for the US cars.

Just note, this is my personal opinion, it is not based on any discussions with Tesla.

I'm going to put my prediction out here so I look really stupid come Monday:

Since it seems Tesla likes to push big releases over the weekend (theory: perhaps because any significant car-disabling bugs would have less impact on most people's work weeks), I predict 8.0 starts rolling out between 3pm PDT tomorrow and 12:15am Saturday morning.

Reactions: Lex
I'm going to put my prediction out here so I look really stupid come Monday:

Since it seems Tesla likes to push big releases over the weekend (theory: perhaps because any significant car-disabling bugs would have less impact on most people's work weeks), I predict 8.0 starts rolling out between 3pm PDT tomorrow and 12:15am Saturday morning.
Whoa, that soon? What clues are driving that?

Whoa, that soon? What clues are driving that?

Just that it's been in beta since June, on Tuesday Elon said it's in final review, the weekend is coming up, and this is by far the longest we've ever gone without a significant update. (aka I'm antsy).

Remember, I give myself liberty to look stupid come Monday (those who know me say I already satisfy that metric).

I'd be with Todd on this one except for the fact that Musk has pumped this 8.0 update up as being really "yuge", to paraphrase the other master promoter in the public sphere these days. Musk loves attention and adulation too much -- he doesn't bury something yuge like this during the last summer weekend before Labor Day. I buy the logic about releasing it over the weekend in order to catch any big glitch before the work week, but my bet is this is a mid-September launch.

Reactions: aesculus