Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just that it's been in beta since June, on Tuesday Elon said it's in final review, the weekend is coming up, and this is by far the longest we've ever gone without a significant update. (aka I'm antsy).

Remember, I give myself liberty to look stupid come Monday (those who know me say I already satisfy that metric).
Got it. Here's hoping your clairvoyance comes through.

It will arrive when you least expect it. No sooner and no later.

Just remember to *not* swarm your service center in the hopes that the Tesla wifi SSID will trigger the staging of a firmware update..... Because that's certainly *not* how it works now.....

On a completely unrelated note, Columbus Tesla owners are welcome to join me for lunch on the day 8.0 hits. I'll be around the service center.....

Just remember to *not* swarm your service center in the hopes that the Tesla wifi SSID will trigger the staging of a firmware update..... Because that's certainly *not* how it works now.....

On a completely unrelated note, Columbus Tesla owners are welcome to join me for lunch on the day 8.0 hits. I'll be around the service center.....
People may swarm to the service centers because of the new geofencing capability.

Seems a bit technical for a regular driver. I suspect this is a debug view available to Tesla engineers. Though it'd be cool if it was available as an option one can toggle to view.

Agreed. To see it would be nice so that I could gauge the cars limits/pitfalls.

I highly doubt this would be the view for the public though, let alone 8.0. Everything that has been said about 8.0 is that there is a huge difference compared to what it is now and that looks very similar to current versions.

Thanks Erik

I will say this. I'm often listening to music or an audio book and paying hyper attention to the car situation around me, both for and aft. While doing this, I have two light fingers on the wheel with my left hand, and my left arm testing on the door window sill. I often miss the message-only "hold wheel now" until the audible beep comes on and the audio system is muted. I would disappointed if I were penalized for that. I like double and triple checking blind spots, watching for road debris, monitoring upcoming potential traffic, etc.

I will say this. I'm often listening to music or an audio book and paying hyper attention to the car situation around me, both for and aft. While doing this, I have two light fingers on the wheel with my left hand, and my left arm testing on the door window sill. I often miss the message-only "hold wheel now" until the audible beep comes on and the audio system is muted. I would disappointed if I were penalized for that. I like double and triple checking blind spots, watching for road debris, monitoring upcoming potential traffic, etc.

Is there nothing on the display that would make it obvious when you glance at the display to check speed?

Is there nothing on the display that would make it obvious when you glance at the display to check speed?
Not to me. As discussed in other threads with 7.1, speed digits are (partially hidden from view by the steering wheel) at the top of the IC and little informational pop-up appear at the bottom center -- so for whatever reason, with all the AP movement in the center, my eyes don't glance to the bottom of the IC as much as perhaps Tesla engineers sitting behind a desk designing the UI may assume. Like @supratachophobia, I do keep a hand on the wheel and try to stay alert scanning around while AP is on, but the music volume decrease and beep-beep force me to look for an informational message every now and then, and I tighten up on the wheel to provide it more feedback.

Actually, IMHO as I suggested to Tesla in an email last year when 7.1 first came out, swapping speed/AP/TACC/key-idiot-lights with the toy car display on the IC would solve multiple problems: All drivers could once again (like in 6.x) see speed and most important idiot lights no matter their height/seat/steering adjustment, and informational pop-ups would be just below the speed digits, so I suspect most drivers would more likely to see the most important information when it is first displayed. Then for those of use that can't now see the top of the IC, the lesser-important "further out" part of the toy car graphic would be hidden from view -- IMHO not as big of a deal as not seeing speed/AT/TACC and key idiot lights as is the case today.

They're not saying it would be locked out after the first BEEP warning, they're saying it would be locked out if you continue to ignore all the way until it disengages itself and starts to slow down on it's own - that's another warning further down the line of ignoring it. Plus it mutes the music for those beeps anyhow so I think this is a good change.

Btw I quoted the wrong post - and don't know how to change it - I meant to reply to the guy you were replying to.....:)

• Helpful
Reactions: jvonbokel

Exactly the same thing happens to me. While on AP, I have my fingers from my right hand on the wheel, the back of my hand resting on my right knee. It exerts insufficient torque on the wheel, so I get the Hold Steering Wheel alerts on occasion.

Because I'm always watching the road and not the display, I frequently miss the first HSW visual-only alert. I always immediately respond to the second alert which has the audible beeps with audio muted.

Fortunately, as I understand it, even that should not induce this AP-disengage penalty, as that sounds like it will occur only if you reach the 3rd alert where the vehicle begins to slow.

When on AP, I usually don't check the speed routinely, because TACC is regulating it. I do look at the display frequently for confirmation of other traffic (e.g. the car in front of me that TACC is locked onto changes lanes, or a new car changes into my lane and I verify that TACC has picked him up). But if there is light or no traffic, then I'll easily miss the first visual-only HSW alert.