TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Firmware 8.0

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Jeeps17, Jun 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

• Informative x 2
  2. Soundchasr

Soundchasr Member

Please add playlists!!! :)

• Like x 1
  3. Zybd1201

Zybd1201 Member

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

From that article, quote: "Electrek has learned all of the so far unreleased details of Tesla’s upcoming update 8.0 — one of its biggest to date. The automaker started testing the latest build with a limited number of owners and it features the most important UI refresh since the launch of the Model S, new Autopilot features and more…"

If true, great news.

5. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

Phone screen mirroring. CarPlay support. Please.

• Like x 14
  6. Charles Clapp

Charles Clapp New Member

Hopefully this includes a new web browser. The current browser is ridiculously outdated.

• Like x 2
  7. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

I never use the Web browser. It's too slow and there's too much of a lag when trying to scroll around.

• Like x 1
  8. chillaban

chillaban Member

The only thoughts I have are that I'm excited for the update. I'm sure those who are beta testing are not allowed to post here about it….

• Like x 1
  9. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

Hopefully Tesla finally will offer media functionality every car, even cheap cars, has had on the market for 10 years: ipod integration, playlists, browse by artist/album/track/genre, you know, basic stuff. I fear Tesla will never support this stuff however. I hope I'm wrong.

• Like x 1
  10. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

My #1 hope is that nav gets better. Avoiding tolls, doing waypoints, and providing alternate routes would be a huge improvement.
    I don't have much hope for the browser getting too much faster because I suspect that's a hardware issue, but it would be nice if it could run evtripplanner. (Or maybe nav gets so much better, we won't need to!)
    AP: I'm pretty happy as-is, given the state of the hardware.

• Like x 3
  11. chillaban

chillaban Member

I just noticed in a brand new 2017 Audi A4 that the car is able to get the whole playlist over bluetooth to an iPhone, no Carplay involved! Clearly it's possible and probably just software…. I hope too they'd at least do that.

• Like x 1
  12. Mattzilla

Mattzilla Member

According to the article, the nav will now be able to avoid tolls and provide other options.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  13. Fiver

Fiver Member

Do you think 8.0 (in some form) is also a merged codebase with the software for the 3? Obviously the aspect ratio of the actual display is different but I wonder if what we saw during the 3 reveal on screen is a hint towards the overall direction of the 8.0 release (from a look and feel standpoint). Might be 9.0 for the 3 though.

14. Cldysky

Cldysky Member

What about voice/text? That would be a great feature to add to a new release?

• Like x 1
  15. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

It'd also be nice if in 8.0 we're no longer faced with amateur hour when it comes to completely random "album covers" shown when tuned into radio programs (AM, FM, TuneIn)

• Like x 6
  16. zambono

zambono Member

Many cars can do whole playlists either via bluetooth or cable. You would think that a company that considers itself avant-garde would have this functionality from the beginning. Pay whatever fees are needed and do it already, iPhone and Android

• Like x 3
  17. tsarlsy

tsarlsy Member

"The navigation and route planner can now also suggest alternative routes to avoid tolls..." YES! I regularly drive on a road beside and parallel to a toll road. I never use the navigation system because it constantly wants me to turn and take the toll road.

18. Evee

Evee Member

This is great news. Hopefully we can get a release date soon or some screenshots!

19. Fiver

Fiver Member

I'd love a digital out from my iPhone into the stereo. Bluetooth sounds like crap.

• Like x 1
  20. BertL

BertL Active Member

As discussed in other threads, don't hold your breath on hardwired iPhone/iPod integration. It would require at a bare minimum beyond Tesla coding, licensing fees paid to Apple and likely additional hardware (i.e. additional cost against an existing revenue-captured fleet, in a year Elon has committed to shareholders Tesla will turn a profit).

BTW for others: In case folks don't want to repeat here what others luxury brands have with Infotainment , the 2nd half of the first post in THIS THREAD contains a function-by-function list of what MS is lacking compared to a couple other luxury brands. We can all hope a significant number of those items are addressed in 8.0.