Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, works great.

See where it says "Navigate"?

Just swipe down from that. If you're at home, it'll navigate to work. If you're anywhere else, it'll navigate to home. Great improvement. Need more of this candy on the touchscreen :).
How is this an improvement from tapping "home" or"work", or saying navigate to home or work? I wish a Tesla spent time actually improving the nav and improving rather than breaking the media player than what you call this candy.

• Disagree
Reactions: MartinW
I have. The new AP swerves all around the lanes straight across the lines into the rumble strips on straight flat highway. I know it's beta software but after 20k miles of driving previously I can't keep it on the road for more than 30-45 seconds before having to take over. Maybe this update has uncovered a problem with my radar or something but i never had the problem before so it seems very related to the update, and it quite dangerous.

People here are talking about getting warnings, which must mean that it works for some people. But i would strongly recommend not upgrading till they do a little more testing.

I finally got a message back from Tesla service so hopefully they will be able to do something, but at this point AP I'm disabling the feature for obvious safety concerns.

X2 Definitely take your car in. A/P is markedly improved in V8. Sounds like your car went fubar

I got 8.0 a couple days ago and spent some highway time with it yesterday. The differences in AP seem subtle to me, but generally a bit improved. I like the new AP display and especially the white border nag. I saw it every time and never heard an audible nag. Very nice. Lane change seems faster and more decisive. Regarding AP generally, I continue to maintain it works brilliantly when used as intended. Most of the criticisms I see here are either "first world problems" (minor things compared to the very major advance AP represents) or griping by those who don't want to pay attention or touch the steering wheel. In my experience, under the right conditions, AP is a delightful technology that has greatly improved by enjoyment and safety on the road.

I'm neutral on the full screen map display. The image is large and uncluttered, which looks nice, I guess. I found it no trouble to tap the screen to pull up the top menu.

I like the new charging graphic which shows the battery on the underside of the car. My kids thought it was cool to see where the big battery actually sits. It's a bit harder to set the charge limit precisely at 80% where I usually keep it, but this really doesn't matter.

I do not understand the new media player. I don't want to bash on it too hard because it may just be a learning curve issue and I haven't spent much time trying to puzzle through it. My first impression, however, is that it's less intuitive and less convenient, requiring more navigation inputs than before. I do not understand what problems existed previously that this update is meant to solve. As many others have noted, USB is especially inconvenient now.

New scroll wheel controls seem cool except I haven't got them figured out yet. I accidentally popped open the pano roof several times yesterday, but hey, I did that before 8.0, too.

I like seeing the text version of what the car thinks I'm saying. It was entertaining this morning to try to get it to "play Dawes," resulting variously in dog, god, and doh. However, when I said "play 'all your favorite bands' by dawes" it worked perfectly.

Generally speaking, I get excited about updates and I love the concept of a car that "gets better" over time. On the flip side, somewhat to my surprise, I do find myself annoyed by the never-ending learning curve. One of the nice things about keeping a car for a long time is that you learn all the ins and outs of its controls. Even if the user interface sucks (I'm looking at you, BMW), once you figure it out, you settle in and can "become one with the car." With the Tesla, stuff changes every few months. I'm not complaining about getting new features - it's exciting and fun! I'm just saying there's a downside to it - like at the moment I don't know how to use my media player.

I took the car for a 4 hr road trip yesterday. While on said trip I didn't encounter a single reboot and I found the AP to be noticeably better than 7.1. TACC was much smoother in traffic and the car was way more confident when changing lanes. I also think the white flashing IC is a great addition. I never seemed to noticed the old "hand on the wheel" with 7.1 until the car would beep. I tend to watch the road though and not the IC. lol

Overall i think 8.0 is a great improvement all around.

From ev-fw.com, is seems clear that Tesla is not only doing the rollout gradually, but doing it in waves or pulses. There was an initial wave last week, then a bigger one on Monday, and now we seem to be in a pause. Perhaps some of the complaints being levelled here are being attended to. We can hope. Still waiting on both our Model S's...

How is this an improvement from tapping "home" or"work", or saying navigate to home or work? I wish a Tesla spent time actually improving the nav and improving rather than breaking the media player than what you call this candy.

1. Tapping Home or work required you to go into the search menu first. Then you have to tap the appropriate button. So that's 2 taps. This is a single swipe and you don't have to decide which to press. Not saying it's significantly easier, but it is easier.
2. Saying navigate to home or work requires pressing the voice button, saying "Navigate to Home" or "Drive to Home", then tapping again. Then waiting for it to (hopefully) be understood correctly. I don't see how that's easier than swiping down once.

Now, to the second part of your question: I did not say these little things should have been prioritized over far more important things. All I said is that this is one thing in the update that was actually an improvement.

Received a callback from Tesla and they said the engineers had identified the issue and pushed out a fix as of 3:35pm PST. So hopefully we won't be seeing it anymore.

Problems with many S owners yesterday causing spontaneous MCU reboots--related to v.8.0 and when trying to use navigation. Some rumors about an ATT data link issue. I called TM Tech Support at about 3:30 pm Pacific time--after 45 minute hold time was told the issue was resolved as of yesterday late afternoon. No new download or firmware update needed.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
X2 Definitely take your car in. A/P is markedly improved in V8. Sounds like your car went fubar
No, many have been complaining about the problems with AP, so I don't think his car all of a sudden failed as soon as it got new software.

My experience is that, while on a clean stretch of highway, AP is much more solid. It just drives and does what it should. 7.1 did a great job under these conditions but always seemed to be making micro-corrections to remain centered. Now it appears to be predicting its path further down the road and it feels more solid.

However, when road conditions are less than ideal I have noticed more problems than with 7.1. In one case, this morning, a lane split, it chose the left side but didn't quite make it and I had to take over. 7.1 handles this location for me no problem. I have also had it not manage to make curves (yes, on divided highways) that it used to handle just fine. It almost seems to behave like 7.0 did when it first came out. Perhaps a lot of the map data collected since 7.0, which improved over time, has been thrown out and they are collecting anew.

• Helpful
Reactions: Wanderer
Generally speaking, I get excited about updates and I love the concept of a car that "gets better" over time. On the flip side, somewhat to my surprise, I do find myself annoyed by the never-ending learning curve. One of the nice things about keeping a car for a long time is that you learn all the ins and outs of its controls. Even if the user interface sucks (I'm looking at you, BMW), once you figure it out, you settle in and can "become one with the car." With the Tesla, stuff changes every few months. I'm not complaining about getting new features - it's exciting and fun! I'm just saying there's a downside to it - like at the moment I don't know how to use my media player.
I've been the same way, so, I wonder if when I get my Model S every new release can have a tips cheat sheet so we can learn this stuff fast. Or, it's just growing our brain to learn how to adapt to new interface changes fast.

No, many have been complaining about the problems with AP, so I don't think his car all of a sudden failed as soon as it got new software.

My experience is that, while on a clean stretch of highway, AP is much more solid. It just drives and does what it should. 7.1 did a great job under these conditions but always seemed to be making micro-corrections to remain centered. Now it appears to be predicting its path further down the road and it feels more solid.

However, when road conditions are less than ideal I have noticed more problems than with 7.1. In one case, this morning, a lane split, it chose the left side but didn't quite make it and I had to take over. 7.1 handles this location for me no problem. I have also had it not manage to make curves (yes, on divided highways) that it used to handle just fine. It almost seems to behave like 7.0 did when it first came out. Perhaps a lot of the map data collected since 7.0, which improved over time, has been thrown out and they are collecting anew.

Might I also suggest that the following are possible:

1. People aren't testing in controlled conditions between 7.1 and 8.0.
2. People are expecting AP to behave differently, so they are paying more attention
3. Paying more attention leads to remembering instances of AP going wonky that would have been ignored as same-old same-old before.

Not saying this is true in all cases, but it's really really hard to say what's changed because the world's driving conditions are always changing (and our perceptions can lead to confirmation bias).

That said, let's be careful out there.

Problems with many S owners yesterday causing spontaneous MCU reboots--related to v.8.0 and when trying to use navigation.

My understanding is that the problem wasn't limited to 8.0 and wasn't limited to using the navigation. It impacted almost anyone driving during the time that Tesla was providing bad data to the cars. (At least that is our assumption, and what people have said has happened in the past.)