Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, in an attempt to get actual shuffle working and a media player that doesn't randomly scan, here is what I have so far. I originally attempted a Rasberry Pi with OSMC and a 128GB USB stick. Then I used a Nexus 7 tablet as the interface. I never did find a good front-end skin that was more "car" oriented and the ability to have TV/movies playing while driving was just too tempting, so I went a simpler route. I have my 64GB OnePlus2 above the rear-view mirror running PowerAmp. Bluetooth is not my first preference, but it will be a temporary workaround until Tesla can get things straight with the media player. PowerAmp gives you full playlist control on the screen. It pauses when BT is disconnected, resumes when BT is reconnected. Track control is by steering wheel or by simply swiping on the screen. 10 band equalizer with pre-set profiles. And for the cherry on top, tracks do not start over at the beginning when I enter and exit the vehicle. So a big win for audiobooks. We'll see how this works out, but I'm relatively pleased right now with the simplicity and actually hearing random songs is refreshing to say the least.

Bonus that the phone can also run dashcam software, and double bonus that I can bring up an app called Remote Camera to look at the phone I have in the trunk that watches the kids.
IMG_20161129_111746.jpg

Did AP become unusable for anyone else this morning? Drive time around 8-8:30, Bay Area, I-280 south. I think the lighting conditions might have overwhelmed it. I got lots of lane jumping, not being able to see lane markings, etc. Worst AP experience since ownership.

I had the same thing happen again this morning. :(

AP was flat unavailable for long periods of time and when I did activate it, it was a drunk driver. I gave up.

Hank, how about just creating the threads now AYC with a first post to say what the intent is for each, and perhaps a pointer to the other two. Hopefully people don't clutter them with nonsense until the real event occurs, but if so, it's easy to scroll down and ignore! ;)

I'm not sure of the mod policy, and I'm not sure that would actually work. And by the time 8.1 is released, someone else is just going to create the Firmware 8.1 thread without searching for any others. I'll just wait until it happens, and try to catch it fast and hopefully the mods will help out that first day making it happen.

But good idea having links to the other two threads in the first post of each!

I had the same thing happen again this morning. :(

AP was flat unavailable for long periods of time and when I did activate it, it was a drunk driver. I gave up.

I've seen this from time to time on 85, especially since the 8.0 update. I think the 2.42 USB update made it a little bit better, and when following a lead car it's also substantially more stable. But yeah, on 280 and 85 where the lane lines are very faded, AP is very prone to bouncing between left and right lane line tracking and departing the lane around curves, especially when a bridge shadow coincides with a curve.

I've already emailed this feedback to Tesla, and I'd encourage you to do the same.

Hank, how about just creating the threads now AYC with a first post to say what the intent is for each, and perhaps a pointer to the other two. Hopefully people don't clutter them with nonsense until the real event occurs, but if so, it's easy to scroll down and ignore! ;)
Yeah, the reason I didn't suggest that is that's exactly what happened with this thread. Someone created it when the electrik pre-release screenshots came out and it filled up with extraneous and unrelated posts for the 3-4 weeks until it started rolling out.
If the mods have the capability to lock it down from posting until it starts rolling that would work.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Yeah, the reason I didn't suggest that is that's exactly what happened with this thread. Someone created it when the electrik pre-release screenshots came out and it filled up with extraneous and unrelated posts for the 3-4 weeks until it started rolling out.
If the mods have the capability to lock it down from posting until it starts rolling that would work.

I completely agree. Wading through 30 pages of speculation and garbage to get to actual release details is horrible.

Reactions: SG57
Question: Why do we trust the car to keep its lane and position when it can't keep my fade/stream position selections? Not my point, but a friend's, and made me think...
Well, the reason I trust it is that it's cool stuff that makes Teslas special and is clearly safety critical, and therefore Tesla cares about it a lot. Entertainment stuff everybody does, and if it sort of works that's good enough, so it really isn't worth anybody's attention. At least not much.

So yeah, I trust Tesla to do the one thing well and the other not so much.

Question: Why do we trust the car to keep its lane and position when it can't keep my fade/stream position selections? Not my point, but a friend's, and made me think...

Because one team is made up of professional enigeers who understand their job and the impact, and the other team is made up of ex-Apple or Apple-wanna-be programmers.

Haha I think that's a good punch line, but unlikely to hold any water. I mean, it's like looking at GE and wondering why you dare get on an airplane with engines made by the company that can barely make a microwave that lasts 2 years….

Because one team is made up of professional enigeers who understand their job and the impact, and the other team is made up of ex-Apple or Apple-wanna-be programmers.

Actually I don't believe that is correct, and it's also unfair to Apple. The UI lead, who used to work at Apple at one point, left Tesla shortly before or around the time v7 rolled out. Apple has some of the best UI programmers in Silicon Valley, they just don't work for Tesla.